Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Name Laurence Gilman Assistant General Manager

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's a bit sad to attack Vancouver just because you don't really know who this guy is but need to invent a reason to dislike him. Yeah they didn't win a cup, but they had a good deal of success.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Van fan coming in peace.

Gilman is a great hire. By far the best hire of all the former Canuck guys you hired and that includes Quinn who I was a huge fan of. This guy is super smart, a cap genius, and forward thinker who will mesh well with what you guys have.

Congrats on a great hire.

OT:

It's a testament to the sensitivity of these boards that you need to spam "come in peace" before you are able to give an opinion anywhere.

You like us have a valid opinion and want to be apart of the discussion. It shouldn't need to be said.

(just me bickering at the extreme level of sensitivity on these boards).

Reactions: leafers

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There's no situation in which having more voices can possibly be a bad thing for an organization. Different voices and ideas and perspectives and backgrounds are always a positive as long as there's someone (or a smaller group) in charge of listening to those voices and distilling the different ideas down in order to make decisions.

Hardly ever works, breeds indecision. Why do you think corps have divisions and satellite offices. Look at Bell or say Bombardier haha. Would you say TPP were a good ownership group? They couldn't even design a coherent Leafs team. We were half run and gun the switched and the back again. Shanahan was allowed to unilaterally reconstruct how we ran. It was a mess and the nepotism rampant.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Everyone makes mistakes. Just gotta hope the players that we're acquired under the previous regime continue to grow and that the new regime doesn't make moves for the sake of putting their stamp on the team and we go the wrong way.

We've already heard stories of Dubas shredding the list that Hunter and his team spent a year building. But hopefully he makes great picks and we get even better.
I think the draft philosophy might change for sure, but I personally like Dubas' vision as seen via the Marlies playing style

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
OT:

It's a testament to the sensitivity of these boards that you need to spam "come in peace" before you are able to give an opinion anywhere.

You like us have a valid opinion and want to be apart of the discussion. It shouldn't need to be said.

Come in peace is the dirt worst line used on this site. Just talk like a human being. Its not hard.

Reactions: BVG

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The voices are the ones at the top are the rest are the hands that do as they are told

That's not always the case. It's also why I said specifically I hope Dubas is a general. I don't know him personally do you? Maybe he wilts to Babcock. Maybe not.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think the draft philosophy might change for sure, but I personally like Dubas' vision as seen via the Marlies playing style

Playing style is trying to mirror the big club as much as possible. So I guess than Babs and Keefe for that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He wasn't the one picking the guys at the draft though he's working with what he's given

I want to see a Dubas only draft or two before I make a decision

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
OT:

What you said is probably true, but I find when I post on another teams board I like say I am not a troll.

This board has many good posters of many different teams. It unfortunately also has many trolls.

Thanks for the complement though!

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Come in peace is the dirt worst line used on this site. Just talk like a human being. Its not hard.

I've gone to habs forums all the time, I don't need to open with that. More recently I've visited some St Louis boards to talk about the progression of Sosh.

I'm just not a jerk and they talk with me all the same. I'm there because I want to be apart of the discussion and may have some valid opinions worth noting.

The come in peace shit is just a flag of how sensitive some people can be on these forums. Everyone needs a safe space now a days.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's not always the case. It's also why I said specifically I hope Dubas is a general. I don't know him personally do you? Maybe he wilts to Babcock. Maybe not.
I can't see him as a person that wilds. You don't get to where he is at his age with the accomplishments he has being a weak personality

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
What you said is probably true, but I find when I post on another teams board I like say I am not a troll.

This board has many good posters of many different teams. It unfortunately also has many trolls.

Thanks for the complement though!

Well the reality is you have actual insight to the person in question and I don't. Your opinion is valid and more insightful then most people guessing while reading off of a wiki somewhere.

But beyond that, I hate over sensitive people worried about their safe spaces being invaded.

The mods perpetuate this behavior.

Reactions: racerjoe

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He wasn't the one picking the guys at the draft though he's working with what he's given

Agreed. That's why I said I like his vision with the Marlies and am excited to see what he does for the leafs

Reactions: stickty111

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I've gone to habs forums all the time, I don't need to open with that.

I'm just not a jerk and they talk with me all the same. I'm there because I want to be apart of the discussion and may have some valid opinions worth noting.

The come in peace **** is just a flag of how sensitive some people can be on these forums. Everyone needs a safe space now a days.

My experience is that people have trouble just conversing when they have a difference of opinion.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I've gone to habs forums all the time, I don't need to open with that. More recently I've visited some St Louis boards to talk about the progression of Sosh.

The come in peace **** is just a flag of how sensitive some people can be on these forums. Everyone needs a safe space now a days.
Read the thread and you will know that poster is most singular in their thoughts.
I've only seen good positive post from all the nucks fans that have come here today.
Welcome in peace! Unless we meet in the finals then... haha

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I can't see him as a person that wilds. You don't get to where he is at his age with the accomplishments he has being a weak personality

I know but, lot of pressure. Babcock is highly paid with much pull.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

To be honest, I don't want him going Doug McLean on us. Outline a blueprint of what you want, but don't over involve yourself if you aren't in the rink scouting. Trust the people you hire to do the job, to do their job. GMs over exerting influence at the draft table is rarely a good thing.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed. That's why I said I like his vision with the Marlies and am excited to see what he does for the leafs

I'd like to see us get more experience on the scouting and draft side to at least add a dissenting voice for Dubas to bounce ideas and philosophy's with on the draft floor

Reactions: stickty111

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yes and thanks to the GM that acquired the pieces to fill the gaps on the Marlies

A lot of people contributed, certain ones had a major impact by acquiring the difference makers, some a very small amount by acquiring bit players. It takes a village.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad