Recalled/Assigned: Maple Leafs have recalled forward Nick Robertson from the Toronto Marlies

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
Looked good last game. I agree with sitting Simmonds if Engvall is healthy enough to play.

Bunting Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot Kampf Kase
Engvall Spezza Mikheyev

thats an incredibly soft team, will get pushed around during playoffs. I would keep Simmonds on 4th line. Try to add more toughness to top 9 as well but it’ll probably be tough to do at deadline.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Looked good last game. I agree with sitting Simmonds if Engvall is healthy enough to play.

Bunting Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot Kampf Kase
Engvall Spezza Mikheyev

Not happening. When Engvall is back everything goes back to normal. Though I'd try Kase on the Tavares/Willy line a bit longer.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
thats an incredibly soft team, will get pushed around during playoffs. I would keep Simmonds on 4th line. Try to add more toughness to top 9 as well but it’ll probably be tough to do at deadline.

Simmonds is useless. Don't see what toughness he supposedly adds. Shouldn't be in the lineup.

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
Simmonds is useless. Don't see what toughness he supposedly adds. Shouldn't be in the lineup.

stood up for kase when he got hit. Winnipeg and montreal are other examples. Did you see what Wilson did to panarin last year? Rangers had no one to answer properly and were embarrassed, people got fired. You need one player like Simmonds. Need others to defend themselves and others too but leafs refuse to do it except old 4th line c, Spezza.

Reactions: Kurtz and Knies iT

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hope Robertson is in again tonight against the Caps. Would like to see him get an extended look. I thought he made that 4th line more competitive/dangerous than they have been with Engvall at the 4LW. Kid competes hard and has a scorers touch. He just needs to get a couple at the NHL level and get that faith in himself. That said I wouldn't mind giving Robertson a chance higher up, to try and shake Tavares awake. Give JT two worker bees and give Nylander a break.
Robertson-Tavares-Kase
Kerfoot-Kampf-Nylander

Reactions: Apotheosis

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
“Last year, with the taxi squad, it was up and down. It tends to stunt momentum. We want to see him continue to build momentum and take on a huge role with the PK and defensively while producing offensively. It will just be a matter of time until he forces our hand.”
– Kyle Dubas on Nick Robertson​
It was amazing to see this quote and then watch the Leafs call up Nick Roberson four days later. It’ll be particularly interesting to see if he remains with the team for the rest of the season now or goes back down. He was fine against a Red Wings team that was leaking oil all night, but his minutes were limited and it’s fairly common for a player to come up and be running on adrenaline to start.
If the plan is to keep him up and play him under 10 minutes per game, that does not sound like the best plan for Robertson (compared to the plan Dubas outlined above). If it is just to get him a few games, now it’s back to the yoyo-ing that he just described as not ideal.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2022...leafs-notebook-john-tavares-william-nylander/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
5 1/2 minutes of ice time, what’s the point Keefe?
There is value in practicing with the team and being in the room. They have Spezza to mentor him and Simmonds to watch his back. I think that's a good way to help him break in, he won't be on the 4th line forever. I don't see the issue at all.

Reactions: Kelly and banks

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
There is value in practicing with the team and being in the room. They have Spezza to mentor him and Simmonds to watch his back. I think that's a good way to help him break in, he won't be on the 4th line forever. I don't see the issue at all.

Short term I have no problems with it as long as he doesn't get stapled on the 4th. Perhaps move him up against a weaker team.

Otherwise just give him big minutes with the Marlies; hopefully KD has told Keefe the same.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Short term I have no problems with it as long as he doesn't get stapled on the 4th. Perhaps move him up against a weaker team.

Otherwise just give him big minutes with the Marlies; hopefully KD has told Keefe the same.
I imagine he comes out once Kase is back.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
More and more I am thinking if the Leafs make a significant move to upgrade LW, I think Robertson will be part of the package.

I just can’t see where he would slot in if we got a JT Miller, unless we really believe Robertsons ceiling is 3rd line LW?

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Then he's doing his job just being in the bench.

When Simmonds was away for that small period of time for his child being born, teams were taking liberties on us after whistles all game. They have to answer to him when he's on the bench.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Whats the point of calling up Robertson if your only going to play him for 5mins over an entire game?
How is he ever going to develop if you will never give him a shot?
I understand that he's young but still 5mins..... 5mins...... we gotta be able to give the kid more time than this
It's only been two games, he'll survive.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I posted in the post game thread, but I'll echo it here. I was not a fan of Robertson playing on the 4th line from the start. But more so because I thought he'd be ineffective in that role. I don't think that is the case at all. I think he's played really well in his limited time TBH.

I have no problem with him playing 4th line minutes at this point, but I would like to see some more playing time. With 6 straight non-playoff teams ahead I am hoping they roll the lines a bit more and that opens up a bit of an opportunity for Nick to get some playing time. IMO he's gotta be on PP2.

Nonetheless, this has been a successful call up so far IMO. Nick is playing well, albeit very small sample and he is gaining valuable experience. We may need to call his number come playoffs, so every second he spends with the big boys is a value add IMO

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
More and more I am thinking if the Leafs make a significant move to upgrade LW, I think Robertson will be part of the package.

I just can’t see where he would slot in if we got a JT Miller, unless we really believe Robertsons ceiling is 3rd line LW?

...and then the LW leaves and Robertson becomes his brother 2.0 next year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
yeah I get it. but still this low of ice time moving forward even if its just this season seems like a giant waste
I doubt it will go on the rest of the season.
They obviously see the value in having him travel and practice with the Team then playing for the Marlies.
I doubt he's complaining . :laugh:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I doubt it will go on the rest of the season.
They obviously see the value in having him travel and practice with the Team then playing for the Marlies.
I doubt he's complaining . :laugh:
he;s getting NHL money he's happy playing or not
just be nice to see him get more of a chance. 5mins just feels too low for a 60min game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad