Sep 5, 2013
IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I am not going to a game for the next week or so and would appreciate if those that do attend can let us know if Petan is indeed killing penalties or if this was a blip. I hope he is!

Petan is killing penalties now? I need to watch a game soon

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Promo code springbreak will get you half off for most of the upcoming games. Good time to check out the team with the kids.

Reactions: Atoyot

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's great news. I wonder who he will replace next year or whether they'll keep him in the A.

He'll have to win a job. I don't see much chance of that as things stand but there may be a trade or two before next TC. Something might open up. Or he may be involved in a trade himself.

I still like the idea of him for one of the Flames D prospects. They need F's, particularly at RW.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He'll have to win a job. I don't see much chance of that as things stand but there may be a trade or two before next TC. Something might open up. Or he may be involved in a trade himself.

I still like the idea of him for one of the Flames D prospects. They need F's, particularly at RW.
I wonder if they move Kulikov or Buff otherwise you keep Appleton and replace Perrault as that will also save a lot of money that will be needed to go to Laine or Connor.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I wonder if they move Kulikov or Buff otherwise you keep Appleton and replace Perrault as that will also save a lot of money that will be needed to go to Laine or Connor.

We could potentially look at moving Mason and promoting Comrie (or possibly Hutch/Phillips)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The possibilities are endless. Laine, Connor, Trouba, Hellebuyck and Morrissey are the big raises that will likely be signed this off-season but Laine's and Connor's won't kick in until the following year. That is when the real crunch will hit. If we assume they re-sign Wheeler then his raise will also kick in that year.

I just don't think it will be possible to keep everybody. Either this off-season or next, somebody will have to go, even if some are bridged. That is already assuming that Toby, Myers and Mason are allowed to walk when their contracts expire. I suppose I should include Stastny on the walk list as well.

If both Connor and Morrissey are given bridge deals then moving Perreault might be enough. If only 1 of them is bridged then I don't think moving Perreault saves enough to get the job done unless someone else is also moved.

IMO, either this year or next we are going to have to accept moving one of our prized players. If it is one of our higher paid young wingers, it will buy enough time for MP's and Buff's contracts to expire. Then, a year or two later, Wheeler's new contract would expire, followed by Little's.

There would be a steady progression of players aging out. Then the challenge is replacing them. That would have to start with the trade return from that young winger. With no high draft picks coming in, the assets are going to have to be managed very carefully.

But like I said, the possibilities are endless. Different combinations of who to keep and who to move.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The possibilities are endless. Laine, Connor, Trouba, Hellebuyck and Morrissey are the big raises that will likely be signed this off-season but Laine's and Connor's won't kick in until the following year. That is when the real crunch will hit. If we assume they re-sign Wheeler then his raise will also kick in that year.

I just don't think it will be possible to keep everybody. Either this off-season or next, somebody will have to go, even if some are bridged. That is already assuming that Toby, Myers and Mason are allowed to walk when their contracts expire. I suppose I should include Stastny on the walk list as well.

If both Connor and Morrissey are given bridge deals then moving Perreault might be enough. If only 1 of them is bridged then I don't think moving Perreault saves enough to get the job done unless someone else is also moved.

IMO, either this year or next we are going to have to accept moving one of our prized players. If it is one of our higher paid young wingers, it will buy enough time for MP's and Buff's contracts to expire. Then, a year or two later, Wheeler's new contract would expire, followed by Little's.

There would be a steady progression of players aging out. Then the challenge is replacing them. That would have to start with the trade return from that young winger. With no high draft picks coming in, the assets are going to have to be managed very carefully.

But like I said, the possibilities are endless. Different combinations of who to keep and who to move.
I disagree that we have no high picks coming in. Whoever we move, Wheeler, Connor, Buff, Meyers, all bring back a high return.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree that we have no high picks coming in. Whoever we move, Wheeler, Connor, Buff, Meyers, all bring back a high return.

I'm only talking about moving one. Of course, more are possible. They may bring a high return but we can't count on that including any top 10 or top 15 draft picks. And we are going to be making the playoffs quite regularly - so no high picks coming that way.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I meant whoever we move will bring back a high pick. Not moving them all. Also any player who is a Stanley cup champion will bring back more for that experience. Look how much each of the black hawks got like Shaw when they were moved.
I'm only talking about moving one. Of course, more are possible. They may bring a high return but we can't count on that including any top 10 or top 15 draft picks. And we are going to be making the playoffs quite regularly - so no high picks coming that way.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I meant whoever we move will bring back a high pick. Not moving them all. Also any player who is a Stanley cup champion will bring back more for that experience. Look how much each of the black hawks got like Shaw when they were moved.
You don't think the flames would give a top 15 pick for Connor or Wheeler? Didn't you just say that Connor would get us Velasco and that's even before he proves himself in the playoffs. Blackhawks had lots of good players like Asimov while winning the Stanley cup. They couldn't keep anyone with toews and Kane earning so much but they have/ had good prospects. Wheeler wins a hart you don't think he will bring back a number 1 pick, a prospect and a roster player.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'm not saying they won't bring a high return. They may not bring any picks. The return might be all NHL players, or prospects. It doesn't have to be picks. And if it is picks it doesn't have to be top 15 ones. To replace those players eventually it would usually take those kind of high picks. I mean players like Little, Buff, Wheeler, etc. Late firsts might do it but you can't count on that. A lot of late firsts bust or become depth players. You will get a few later picks who turn out well but it is a lot tougher to find top players without top 15 picks. Primarily I'm talking about our own picks here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad