Manitoba Moose 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep truth is every team has a window and as Chicago proved no one wins forever. Appleton and Vesa extend that window.

This is where the balancing act on trading high picks for rentals comes in. I think Chicago could have done better in extending their window. It isn't easy though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Petan is injured

IMG_0749.jpg

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
This is his 1st game back from injury. Probably just being eased in.

He's easily their best C since Roslo got the callup.

The Moose really move everybody around quite a bit too

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The only defenceman I haven't seen Niku paired with is Beaudoin. He has easily played half this game so far.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
My favorite stat tonight is the Niku penalty for "throwing equipment"
It happened right in front of us and surprised the heck out of me. Niku broke his stick and threw the shaft at the Heat player as he was skating away from him. Definite total brainfart on Sami's part.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
My favorite stat tonight is the Niku penalty for "throwing equipment"

It was pretty hilarious.

Drinking and don't feel like doing much of a write up, but just a few points:

Spacek was the best forward on the ice 5v5 and on the PP. His line (Appleton-Spacek-Robinson, later Appleton-Spacek-Lipon) was the only line that could get any real consistent zone time.

I specified 5v5 and PP because Robinson is apparently a wizard on the penalty kill. Breakaways and odd man rushes galore. Moose had more chances shorthanded than the Heat had on the PP.

Niku struggled a bit on the PP. Passes were a little off which was unfortunate because he found Spacek open a lot, just never put the puck in a position for Spacek to one time it.
While Niku struggled on the PP, he was downright solid defensively. Nothing but praise for his defensive game tonight.

Kostalek was hot garbage.

Appleton was pretty good. Spacek is really good at finding him, hence his 7SOG.

Could have easily been a different game but Gillies played great.

Oh the Niku penalty (if it's in the highlights sorry I didn't watch) the puck rimmed around the boards to him in the offensive zone and while trying to shoot it in his stick exploded and the puck went by him and the opposing winger got it and looked to be going on a breakaway, so Niku threw the top half of his remaining stick at him. Boneheaded move and in the end Niku's partner caught the winger and they didn't get a chance, but pretty entertaining to see.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
OK found a arena clock video.......

The ref just could have said...."you can't do that" ;)

I think it more likely that he was trying to knock the puck away, not hit the player. I've resorted to that tactic in games with friends, but of course, we didn't have a ref to call penalties. All they can do is glare at you and call you an asshole. :laugh:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
:laugh:

Atta boy, Niku! Don't let those pesky rules get in your way!

I wonder if he'll snag the rookie of the year award with the season he's having.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Great news about Suess. The Moose could really use some reinforcements before the playoffs otherwise I feel like they’re first-round fodder.

Don't disagree but the reinforcement they really need is in goal. Either Hutch or Comrie. Phillips is doing OK as a stand in but they will need better in the PO's.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The Moose have their own share of injuries. I think people are underselling them right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->