Manitoba Moose 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wonder why melch instead of schilling got the call-up? I was hoping Niku could be out 8th d man next year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
With Niku I still look at and compare him to Enstrom (which might not be fair). Toby was drafted in 2003 and spent 4 seasons developing in Sweden before Joining the Thrashers as a 23 year old in his draft +5 season. Niku is still only 21 and in his draft +3 season and if he is on the same development path he would spend this season and next season with the Moose before Joining the Jets. Not saying they are on the same path but I would like to see him develop his defensive game fully before making the jump to the NHL. Hey who knows there is still lots of hockey left maybe over the balance of this season and a deep playoff run he gets there but I don’t want to rush him.
So if Enstrom retires we need to look outside the org?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
With Niku I still look at and compare him to Enstrom (which might not be fair). Toby was drafted in 2003 and spent 4 seasons developing in Sweden before Joining the Thrashers as a 23 year old in his draft +5 season. Niku is still only 21 and in his draft +3 season and if he is on the same development path he would spend this season and next season with the Moose before Joining the Jets. Not saying they are on the same path but I would like to see him develop his defensive game fully before making the jump to the NHL. Hey who knows there is still lots of hockey left maybe over the balance of this season and a deep playoff run he gets there but I don’t want to rush him.

Niku should spend the summer with Rautala so he can get all bulked up like Laine. Of course, it will take a year for him to learn how to skate again but at least he won't get pushed around like Toby. :sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So if Enstrom retires we need to look outside the org?

I am not sure at this point and that is a long way off. Off the top of my head here is the logical list of issues Simmons and Chevy need to weigh this off season and this is the D core only:

Toby is will be a UFA

Trouba will be an RFA and there is a thread already dedicated to the layers of this.

Morrisey will be an RFA (I think it will be a perfect time to get him signed to a value deal probably before Trouba)

Poolman will be an RFA

Myers will be heading into the last season of his current contract before he becomes a UFA (not sure they will want an injury prone player on a lame duck season)

Chiarot will be heading into the last season before becoming a UFA

Buff and Kuli are the only two guys that are home and cool.

So this is a bit of an interesting situation with unlimited combinations and interdependent elements. To be a fly on the war room wall.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I am not sure at this point and that is a long way off. Off the top of my head here is the logical list of issues Simmons and Chevy need to weigh this off season and this is the D core only:

Toby is will be a UFA

Trouba will be an RFA and there is a thread already dedicated to the layers of this.

Morrisey will be an RFA (I think it will be a perfect time to get him signed to a value deal probably before Trouba)

Poolman will be an RFA

Myers will be heading into the last season of his current contract before he becomes a UFA (not sure they will want an injury prone player on a lame duck season)

Chiarot will be heading into the last season before becoming a UFA

Buff and Kuli are the only two guys that are home and cool.

So this is a bit of an interesting situation with unlimited combinations and interdependent elements. To be a fly on the war room wall.
I am sure they will resign Morrissey at fair value. I also imagine Tucker at this point will be quite cheap.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am sure they will resign Morrissey at fair value. I also imagine Tucker at this point will be quite cheap.

Agreed on both points. To me Morrissey will probably settle in to a Slavin type deal 6 years x $5.3 on the high side. TNSE will need to be mindful of the Brady Skjei deal this summer because I think it might set the bar for Josh. There is also the timing of Trouba, I would want to sequence the deals Morrissey then Trouba "IF" Trouba signs a long term deal. If Trouba goes to arb or gets traded then timing doesn't matter.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
98A05E88-5759-4C3A-AA46-A1D55D602FE6-300x225.jpeg

Some news from today's Moose practice.

Click here.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Agree. I think Niku would be best to play a couple of seasons in the AHL before making the jump, mainly to strengthen his defensive game. I think the Jets could bring Enstrom back for a year or two on a value contract to play on the 3rd pair. The Kulikov signing has been a good move, and will allow the Jets to develop Niku more fully before he steps in.
It is important to remember that Niku is in his 5th season of men's pro hockey. It may be his first in North America, but he's not a normal AHL rookie.
  • Niku was in the top 10 of Liiga defensive scoring last year.
  • Niku is in the top 10 of AHL defensive scoring this year.

I would not be shocked if he jumped into the NHL and played at a 2nd pair level out the gate. If he got paired with Buff on his first stint - similar to Chiarot and Morrissey - he could take a roster spot without looking back.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
It is important to remember that Niku is in his 5th season of men's pro hockey. It may be his first in North America, but he's not a normal AHL rookie.
  • Niku was in the top 10 of Liiga defensive scoring last year.
  • Niku is in the top 10 of AHL defensive scoring this year.

I would not be shocked if he jumped into the NHL and played at a 2nd pair level out the gate. If he got paired with Buff on his first stint - similar to Chiarot and Morrissey - he could take a roster spot without looking back.

I totally agree. Once he gets the chance I don't see him getting sent back down. Looks like the team has Chiarot and Melchiori ahead of him (and possibly Schilling as well) so he'll get the chance to marinate even more with the Moose which shouldn't hurt him.

Seems like he's set up well to step into the 7/8 spot when Chiarots contract ends and into the top 6 shortly after.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Big back to back for the Moose coming up vs. San Antonio to keep the train rolling before their Christmas break. No Schmaltz, Kamenev, Thompson, Blais, or Kostin helps a fair bit but as a fan it would have been fun to see those young guys play. They've still won 3 straight though and have some good players so it should be a good couple games.

I don't think I'll make it to either game so if anyone does and can post some thoughts that'd be appreciated!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I noticed (stats only) that Roslovic's production has slowed down a bit the last 2 or 3 games. Did he play well in those games? Anyone know?

He did play well. The Marlies were hard matching his line in the two games I watched. They held their own against a very good defensive team. Roslovic and Petan and even Appleton are playing team structure over offence. They are playing exactly the way they would need to play if they were called up. Always above the puck. They are more committed to the system than the Jets are. Roslovic score an amazing goal that sealed the win on Sunday

I thought the DeLeo Sgarbossa Lipon line was the best over the weekend. The Moose really are a four line team.

Reactions: MardyBum and dabizz

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Whoa, just looked at Hutch's stats - insane :amazed:
Comrie's are good as well
Moose just seem to be a much better team this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad