Manitoba Moose 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Who would have guessed that Lemieux would be leading the Moose in points per game at this point?

Me! Well maybe not quite first, but I would have said second behind Roslovic if given a fair opportunity.
I’ve been his biggest cheerleader and knew he had so much more in him, but after seeing that new high end speed gear appear, I figured that he would really break out this season.
Glad to see he recognized a deficiency in his game and worked hard to improve it. That’s the kind of attitude you need to get to the NHL.
We will need his various skills on our team. That grit, scoring touch and front of net presence will be a great addition to the Jets soon.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So, does Zinger get any credit for piecing together a good blend of vets to make the Moose good, or is he still an incompetent equipment manager?

Who did he bring in exactly? Schilling, Sgarbossa, Robinson are all NHL contracts brought in by Chevy. Cormier and Stoykewyich are the only notable AHL contracts. Gotovets and Beaudoin too I guess, but nothing really special there.

Reactions: Mathmew Purrrr Oh

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Who did he bring in exactly? Schilling, Sgarbossa, Robinson are all NHL contracts brought in by Chevy. Cormier and Stoykewyich are the only notable AHL contracts. Gotovets and Beaudoin too I guess, but nothing really special there.

If you don't think Zinger has his input in those contracts....

So I guess you're going with still an incompetent equipment manager..

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Good AHL vets >>> Anchors like MacWilliam, so credit where credit is due. Figuring out that you should get good vets and not shitty ones is half the battle! :sarcasm: But the team is loaded with prospects doing a lot of the scoring (top 4 in pts/game: Lemieux, Roslovic, Appleton and Petan). .950 goaltending from Hutch isn't hurting either.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Is Robinson good enough to play for the Jets? I don't recall anyone ever suggesting this, but maybe he's just a late bloomer
I was thinking the same thing myself. He certainly has the size for the NHL. He just hasn't had much opportunity yet.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Oh I don't have any opinion on him at all and know very little about him overall, I just don't see why he would get praise for Chevy's moves. If he did have say good on him.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Oh I don't have any opinion on him at all and know very little about him overall, I just don't see why he would get praise for Chevy's moves. If he did have say good on him.

That's fair.

Zinger has taken a lot of heat and most of the jabs at him center on his humble beginnings as an equipment manager which I always found unfair.

He's assembled some very good squads when he hasn't been given the primary task of developing the Jets talent.

Not playing the Jets prospects as much as the org wanted cost McCambridge his job.

It just so happens that we have a lot of top caliber prospects with some experience now and the right mix of vets, toss in some outstanding goaltending and it looks like we have the right mix of development there and not at the expense of a loosing club.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
So, does Zinger get any credit for piecing together a good blend of vets to make the Moose good, or is he still an incompetent equipment manager?

He did an exemplary job identify the right vets to go with this core of youth this season. The vets are scoring goals, but the kids are scoring a lot more goals. I get the point of Zinger's logic - you let the kids do the heavy lifting, as they're the future of the organisation - but he did a much better job of it this year. Buddy Robinson has been great for the team, as has Schilling, Cormier has been a better leader and scorer, and they've built up good defensive depth in the AHL. Throw a borderline NHL goaltender in the mix, and you've got a recipe for success in the AHL.

Borderline NHL players get a borderline NHL contract. Chevy has to be the one to sign off on them, but don't fool yourself into thinking that these players weren't signed with the Moose in mind as well.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Zinger (and Chevy) took a lot of heat here for the poor performance of the Moose over the past couple of seasons, when they had a bunch of young players just breaking in and playing big roles. Now those young players have developed into productive AHLers, and supplemented with some good vets the Moose are now the top AHL team. I think credit is due to the organization's management, which includes Zinger in particular for the progress of the Moose.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That's fair.

Zinger has taken a lot of heat and most of the jabs at him center on his humble beginnings as an equipment manager which I always found unfair.

He's assembled some very good squads when he hasn't been given the primary task of developing the Jets talent.

Not playing the Jets prospects as much as the org wanted cost McCambridge his job.

It just so happens that we have a lot of top caliber prospects with some experience now and the right mix of vets, toss in some outstanding goaltending and it looks like we have the right mix of development there and not at the expense of a loosing club.
This has been mentioned so many times before, but I'll bring it up again: the 2015 draft class, combined with the Buffalo blockbuster, were God's gifts to our future. Gaining so much young depth in a couple of months is something we'll benefit from for a long while.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Is Robinson good enough to play for the Jets? I don't recall anyone ever suggesting this, but maybe he's just a late bloomer
at 26 its hard to say if he will ever make the show now but he has the tools and could def be a late bloomer. its just so hard once you hit his age and all the new exciting prospects are getting the minutes and development time. and on a team so deep as we are its even harder. has a good shot skates really well for size and has good hands. and can play with an edge.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea I had the pleasure of asking Zinger some questions last season and I came away from that session really liking him for his honesty. I give the entire Jets org props for building a nice pipeline, taking a chance on Vincent who seems to be doing a great job, and adding vets that aren’t stealing key minutes from the prized prospects but are adding real value.

I couldn’t believe how sharp this team looked when I saw them and they should have a good chance at the Calder this year. Props to TNSE. I think a deep playoff run will help the prospects.

Reactions: DRC

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea I had the pleasure of asking Zinger some questions last season and I came away from that session really liking him for his honesty. I give the entire Jets org props for building a nice pipeline, taking a chance on Vincent who seems to be doing a great job, and adding vets that aren’t stealing key minutes from the prized prospects but are adding real value.

I couldn’t believe how sharp this team looked when I saw them and they should have a good chance at the Calder this year. Props to TNSE. I think a deep playoff run will help the prospects.
TNSE does stay on script. They map out a plan and stick to it. A long playoff run for the Moose does nothing but benefit the organization as a whole.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Who is the moose best d? Is niku better than chariot? Pool man?

Definitely a few playing well right now. I'd say Schilling has been the best so far. Obviously he's been good offensively but he's been really solid in his own end and makes a good first pass. Niku has the highest upside for sure given his age, Stoyk is the most improved.

As for Niku vs. Chiarot they play very, very different games. Different levels of competition makes the comparison even more difficult. I think when he gets his chance Niku will be effective, probably more so than Chiarot if I'm being honest but I agree with the teams decision to let him play big minutes, grow his game, and build his confidence. If he can add some strength and improve his defensive positioning he could be a very good NHL defenseman in my opinion.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
With Niku I still look at and compare him to Enstrom (which might not be fair). Toby was drafted in 2003 and spent 4 seasons developing in Sweden before Joining the Thrashers as a 23 year old in his draft +5 season. Niku is still only 21 and in his draft +3 season and if he is on the same development path he would spend this season and next season with the Moose before Joining the Jets. Not saying they are on the same path but I would like to see him develop his defensive game fully before making the jump to the NHL. Hey who knows there is still lots of hockey left maybe over the balance of this season and a deep playoff run he gets there but I don’t want to rush him.

Reactions: 204hockey

Whileee

May 29, 2010
With Niku I still look at and compare him to Enstrom (which might not be fair). Toby was drafted in 2003 and spent 4 seasons developing in Sweden before Joining the Thrashers as a 23 year old in his draft +5 season. Niku is still only 21 and in his draft +3 season and if he is on the same development path he would spend this season and next season with the Moose before Joining the Jets. Not saying they are on the same path but I would like to see him develop his defensive game fully before making the jump to the NHL. Hey who knows there is still lots of hockey left maybe over the balance of this season and a deep playoff run he gets there but I don’t want to rush him.
Agree. I think Niku would be best to play a couple of seasons in the AHL before making the jump, mainly to strengthen his defensive game. I think the Jets could bring Enstrom back for a year or two on a value contract to play on the 3rd pair. The Kulikov signing has been a good move, and will allow the Jets to develop Niku more fully before he steps in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad