Managerial merry go round part II

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Saw that Pochettino has a 7 million release clause. Also saw that Allegri is Plan B.

A number of notable former La Liga players have completed the same management course. Xavi, Raul, Xabi Alonso, Victor Valdes, Marcos Senna, Julio Baptista, etc. Xabi Alonso will be coaching in Madrid's youth set up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A clickbait title to a stupid article about something that has been claimed to be non-existant by all insiders.
That's -level journalism by The Guardian.

And you're deflecting my question. How does that make him a better fit?
Most of the papers including the Spanish ones are reporting this. Some say he has a release clause, some dont, but I'm not going to speculate on that.
I dont think Zidane's Madrid teams have resembled the teams that the other linked coaches, namely Conte and Allegri have played. Madrid isnt going to sacrifice one of the midfielders or attackers to go three at the back like Conte wants to do. Allegri is closer but he says he isnt going anywhere but who knows. Wenger? Lol. Who else has been linked? All I'm saying is that if Madrid wants Pochettino they will find a way.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Marca was the paper claiming Pochettino had the clause to begin with. However now they say he doesn't have any.

So, yeah. Just your typical bullshit.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Some interesting notes with Zidane leaving:

• Not sure about his credibility, but at TV presenter for La Sexta has revealed Zidane's last conversation with Florentino Perez. Apparently it was at a meeting with Jose Angel Sanchez where it was expected that Zidane would want to talk about signings. Well that was not the case. “I will not continue”. The coach said “There is deterioration, I'm getting worn down with this squad. I think that things will get worse, the best thing to do is leave, that’s the best for you and for me.” Zidane apparently promised not to take charge of another team for the coming season, but that's to be expected either way.
  • Zidane during his press conference said that his best moment with Madrid was... winning La Liga. @koyvoo

Not shocking news he's gone if you think about it. It definitely sounds like a difficult dressing room to manage. Add to that 2.5 years at that level surely takes it's toll, but then you have to consider he came from managing the Castilla side for 2 years as well. So for me that's always a lot more than what people make it out to be. The timing is also perfect with the CL win. Still I'd say there's more to it than that. This latest campaign really wasn't that impressive. The CL run-in wasn't as good as previous seasons and the Final was dour. Then you have a poor Liga campaign and nothing in the Copa. You've also got an aging starting XI with players like Modric and Ronaldo clearly on the decline. Some of their younger players look good, but still a lot of question marks over many of them too. I always find it tough to rate Zidane. On the one hand I find him rather underrated here. On the other overrated at times. I suppose the truth is somewhere in the middle but leaning towards underrated. Either way his management of this Madrid side from rotations as @Corto is always banging on about, to the man-management side of the squad and to the subtle tactical changes (formation, the reinvention of Ronaldo) he deserves a good level of credit. And while I'm no Zidane fan, he deserves credit for the way this has gone down. He gave it some time after the Final to let the club and it's supporters celebrate, but then he also didn't let it drag on and you didn't see it coming. More importantly though, Madrid look at somewhat of a transitional point and his leaving now probably makes that easier. So full credit to him for how he handled, and I'm sure it takes some balls to tell a mafioso boss like Florentino Perez you're leaving on your own terms.

Very interesting to see what Madrid do now. Someone mentioned Pochettino, but didn't he just sign a new deal with Spurs? It's funny someone mentioned Wenger. Of course if you've been around enough Wenger was linked with both Madrid and Barça some years ago on somewhat regular basis. Still what's really interesting is I swear that last night I saw a blurb about Wenger wanting to manage a really big side. And note, this was before the Zidane news. Anyway, I think anyone's reasonable guess is a possibility at this stage, but I think Florentino Perez plays it safe.

It was a shock win for most who follow La Liga, but that's what happens when the refs give you at least 12 points as has been well documented.

Great post. An excellent summary and evaluation of Zidane's time at Real

Reactions: les Habs

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You don't know Pochettino that well I guess?

That is the way he always communicates. "No-one knows what will happen tomorrow" blablabla. He says it about himself and about players. Always has.

Personally I find it a bit stupid, especially with someone like Eriksen with only two years left on his current deal, but I would not read too much into a comment like that (again - words can be interpreted in many ways).

Still believe there is about 0.00 something chance of Pochettino leaving Spurs this summer. It might have gone from 0.001 to 0.002.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The reality is, if Madrid actually really to want him, it’s more a question of who does he take with him, rather than if he’d go.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I question how much they really actually wanted him. Again, if it’s absolutely and immovably their number one focus, he’ll go win trophies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They approached him twice because he is just such a lovely fellow?

Some think RM get everything they want as if Juande Ramos and Benitez never managed the team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Please enlighten me.
Well we can start with the fact that Wenger spent 22 years at Arsenal and, basically was the entire club. There is a reason he never wanted to leave, he was in that clubs roots.

Pochettino is going into year 3 (or year 4) and has already managed as many teams has Wenger has in his entire career. It's pretty naive to think that it's impossible he would consider leaving based on some platitudes.

Also, at the time when Madrid wanted to get Wenger out of Arsenal, the Gunners had a MUCH higher profile than Tottenham have ever held.

So it's a dumb comparison.

Reactions: Evilo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad