Managerial merry go round part II

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
What did Zidane win as a manager before getting that job? He couldn't get their B team promoted and everyone thought it was a joke appointment. It can be very difficult to know what a manager will do if they're given a Ferrari, but in the case of Pochettino there is a standard of improvement.

Espanyol, trash club. Hard to judge.

At Southampton he keeps them in the top flight, the next season they finish 8th, having signed Lovren, Wanyama, and Osvaldo. Two players moved on to play for bigger clubs and one who was a psycho.

At Spurs I think it speaks for itself. They finished sixth and had a hopeless manager, as well as many players who simply didn't perform. They were shipped out, Spurs went up the table, the rest is history.

The issue with Real Madrid is two fold, their squad is getting older and someone is going to have to replace those players. Second is that they don't have the best league team. Even though there are issues with appointing Pochettino, it's not like there's any other clear choice. Ultimately nobody is going to live up to expectations anyway, the expectations are too high.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
...a Ford Fiesta ST is a fun little car; that can hit 120 much quicker than you think ;-)
Something about Fatboy in a fiesta makes me giggle.

Poch is a great manager who will succeed anywhere. Ffs ZZ stumbled on 3 trophies as did Mateo.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Great post. An excellent summary and evaluation of Zidane's time at Real

Thanks, that's pretty much how I see it based on what I know. If I'm Zidane I see two choices in front of me in the future:

• France
  • Juventus

If it's Juventus I wait a year, if it's France it's pending the World Cup. France would be ideal for him though because he'd have what really looks like a golden generation. Anyway, I think all of this talk of who replaces Zidane is valid, but where Zidane ends up could be as interesting when that day comes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Thanks, that's pretty much how I see it based on what I know. If I'm Zidane I see two choices in front of me in the future:

• France
  • Juventus

If it's Juventus I wait a year, if it's France it's pending the World Cup. France would be ideal for him though because he'd have what really looks like a golden generation. Anyway, I think all of this talk of who replaces Zidane is valid, but where Zidane ends up could be as interesting when that day comes.
When he benches one of Mbappe or Griezmann to start Benzema.... :huh:

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
For fun!

Who would be more of a shock for Madrid role? Keane or Moyes?

Who would you prefer if given only the choice of Moyes or Keane?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Poch no longer an option for Madrid as they wanted someone who would push a move faster.

Heard Klopp (lol) and Allegri are top candidates now. Klopp isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Even if they gave him the Bernabeu. Allegri is much more likely and would be hilarious considering how defensive he is. It would also mean they would be out of the running for Dybala IMO. So please make this happen.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Apparently. I felt like everyone were looking at me strangely when I argued Pochettino might not go to RM. We’ll see if the same logic applies for Klopp :laugh:

Anyone who thought a guy like pouch would jump ship right after an extension is delusional. Same should be applied to kloppo.

Reactions: Big Kahuna

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Yeah, I don't see how Liverpool supporters can put forward much of a better argument that Klopp wouldn't leave for Real Madrid this summer compared to Pochettino.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They can’t. When it’s Madrid or Barca that are calling, there’s always a possibility, no matter how slight. Regardless of what contracts have been signed, or what shows of loyalty have been made.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I don't see how Liverpool supporters can put forward much of a better argument that Klopp wouldn't leave for Real Madrid this summer compared to Pochettino.

Klopp could have gone to a bigger club after his Dortmund tenure. He didn't.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Theres no doubt on my mind that Klopp is on Madrid's shortlist. He is a great manager.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I never said he would.

On top of that Klopp already signed 90m worth of player for next season and bidding for another 60m player.

They can’t. When it’s Madrid or Barca that are calling, there’s always a possibility, no matter how slight. Regardless of what contracts have been signed, or what shows of loyalty have been made.

It's not the same for managers. Otherwise you can't explain why Valverde is managing Barcelona. Lastly and probably most importantly, Klopp is a a very left wing person who seems to care about the history of football. Not just conjecture but he is quoted as such in his biography. He also said he has no interest in learning a new language at any point in his life. There's practically zero chance in the world he'd manage that club ever.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don´t think Klopp will move to RM (probably about as likely as Pochettino in my head - which is very very close to 0), but those are some weak arguments if that is what separates Klopp from Pochettino. Might as well say that Klopp just lost his 2nd best player and probably knows he´ll lose Salah the same way (of course Liverpool fans will refer to an interview saying Salah is different than Kane, Eriksen etc.).

RM have hired ZZ, Ramos and Benitez. I don´t think it is obvious that they will hire whoever is most popular in the media right now (Klopp and Pochettino being high on that list).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad