Managerial merry go round part II

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Parking the bus alone doesn't make someone a bad coach.

You're a great coach parking the bus against regional teams? The Tottenham game nearly blew up in his face. Do you think a great coach plays a 37 year old Barzagli at Rb to defend Son?
His infatuation with Khedira, Barzagli Sturaro and Mandzukic is crazy. Khedira is finished, Barzagli still good at defending but cannot keep pace, Sturaro belongs in Serie B he's putrid and this point Mandzukic should be a bench player.

He's also been known to get into fights with players.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
PSG's upper management strikes me as a bunch of yes-men. I think it all depends on how he would get along with the players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's a big problem with teams who want to rise (too?) fast. They begged the players to come and have begged them to stay (with huge salaries).
Club has to be bigger than the players.
I think they're starting to see the problem with the Verratti case (asks to leave last summer, stays but gets red carded in the biggest game of the year).
Tuchel is an upgrade over Emery IMO, but he won't stand for whiny players. And whiny players won't stand for a coach who has won a mere german cup.

This strikes me as a bad idea. Some of the rumored coaches have the needed authority, but all lacked something. We'll see how it pans out with Tuchel (though it isn't official yet).
At least it's better than the Villas Boas of the world. Also better than Pochettino most likely.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Tuchel might actually take PSG to the next level if they actually fall in line.

Reactions: cgf

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, it would be interesting how Tuchel's personality would mesh with the players. Tuchel is probably authoritative enough personality-wise, but would the players respect him enough?

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, it would be interesting how Tuchel's personality would mesh with the players. Tuchel is probably authoritative enough personality-wise, but would the players respect him enough?

It'll definitely be interesting to see if the players realize how brilliant his tactics are, and so fall in line because they know how competent he is; rather than because his resume demands deference.

Well now I guess I'm hoping Favre comes back to germany so I don't have to try to follow two french teams.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It'll definitely be interesting to see if the players realize how brilliant his tactics are, and so fall in line because they know how competent he is; rather than because his resume demands deference.

Well now I guess I'm hoping Favre comes back to germany so I don't have to try to follow two french teams.

What's worse though: having to follow a whole two French teams, or having to watch Favre suffer under Watzke???

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Who said I was rooting for Lucien to have to deal with Watzke if he came back to germany? ;)

Certainly wasn't you who said so! But would you risk your dear Lucien possibly falling into Watzke's clutches if he went back to Germany?

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Still not sold about Tuchel to PSG. In a perfect world, it's a great move for both sides. I just feel like he won't mesh with the roster there, he strikes me as a "respect my authoritha" kind guy. Didn't he humiliate Emre Mo cause he was doing things the wrong way in a training season?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Certainly wasn't you who said so! But would you risk your dear Lucien possibly falling into Watzke's clutches if he went back to Germany?

That's why he should either go back to BMG, help RB take the next step, or just be super-boss and take over my eisern until he's ready to retire.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
If you hear what sounds like a hyena laughing it is in fact the echoes of my reaction to West Bromwich throwing Alan Pardew head-first into a large heap of dung.

Of course, I am an Ungrateful Geordie, who doesn't appreciate The Great Things What Alan Pardew Dun for Noocarsell.

At least according to the London media, who happily now get the chance to put their money where their ignorant, lazy, stupid, bullshitting cockney mouths are, and tout this top, top, top manager for the Arsenal or Chelsea jobs.

But rather than hold my breath waiting for that eventuality, I prefer to enjoy this tribute to Pardew's reign from a West Midlands perspective. Comment - Alan Pardew destined to go down as one of West Brom's worst ever managers

Not in the article, but something I learned over the weekend, is that West Brom's technical director, the man responsible for Pardew's appointment, is Nicky Hammond. Pardew gave Hammond his first job in coaching. After that, Hammond spent just over three years running Reading's academy, before being the Royals' director of football for 13 or so years.

Yet again, the English old boys network works wonders.

Reactions: cgf and S E P H

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That'd be interesting. Not sure what to think, but I can't help but feeling that they need to retool and rebuild a bit and he's not the man to do it. What happened to China?

Fully agree.

I'm not expert on Juventus, but it feels like they think they are Detroit. Obviously football teams due to no cap can stay competitive more consistently as long as they got cash, but Juventus aren't RM. So they might go for Ancelotti thinking they will continue the same way as they have the last couple of years while they most likely need someone that can build for the next cycle.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Fully agree.

I'm not expert on Juventus, but it feels like they think they are Detroit. Obviously football teams due to no cap can stay competitive more consistently as long as they got cash, but Juventus aren't RM. So they might go for Ancelotti thinking they will continue the same way as they have the last couple of years while they most likely need someone that can build for the next cycle.

I can't wait for the day when Juve will be as bad as Detroit are now.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They won't ever be that bad but it seems inevitable they will take a step back. Their model is a few bad reinvestments away from a cliff and their academy needs to step it up.

Selling Lemina seems like a small strategic error to me in terms of keeping that model chugging along.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They won't ever be that bad but it seems inevitable they will take a step back. Their model is a few bad reinvestments away from a cliff and their academy needs to step it up.

Selling Lemina seems like a small strategic error to me.

Agree again, but it doesn't seem like they think so.

Lemina is OK, but hardly the kind of player Juventus should build around (knowing that some players take that final step later in their career). Even if he is in the right age group I can see why they sold him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
They have some really promising prospects in their system. Wouldn't write them off too quickly.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Agree again, but it doesn't seem like they think so.

Lemina is OK, but hardly the kind of player Juventus should build around (knowing that some players take that final step later in their career). Even if he is in the right age group I can see why they sold him.

Shouldn't build around, but considering their midfield situation now, he could have played in these games and been sold for a lot more. Very likely would have impressed.

For a team that needs to sell for maximum amounts to keep the thing going, that was an error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad