Management Discussion v46 | Warning in OP (#834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/management-discussion-v46-warning-in-op-834.2415619/page-3

Look Jim Benning WON with Boeser, lost with Virtanen as the owners wanted toughness over skill.

But rebounded again CanaFan with taking Pettersson over Glass (whom got cut from TC).

Lost big time with Virtanen.

Got lucky with Boeser being as good as he is.

Missed somewhat with Juolevi.

Looks to have won significantly with Pettersson.

He’s batting .500 so far with a small sample size.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Also heard ownership really wanted Pettersson so I’m not sure how much credit he gets

Reactions: Peter10

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Glass is a good prospect. Pettersson is obviously ahead but it's a hit soon yo act like taking glass would have been a monster whiff like taking Virtanen over Ehlers. Timewilltell

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
CODY GLASS - that's what everyone wanted to JB to draft.

But he said: ****you HF and everyone else & took Pettersson.

Salute to the rebuild god.
Lol Benny wanted to move up and ready someone else. Lol.

He would have given up Pettersson, Dahlen and Goldobin for 2 home games.

Reuild is happen despite Benning or maybe because he's terrible.

Like you I hope he stays terrible so team tank gets another win.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
While I think Holland would be a decent addition here I'd be weary until we saw what version of Holland we were getting. He managed to have a pretty solid trade deadline last season and he has another opportunity for another solid this one if he nails the Green return.

What we really need is someone that has a firm take on the cap and how to best utilize it in a Gilman esque form. Holland gets criticized for some of the hefty contracts he has signed like Abdelkader. If would remain to be seen if he'd learn from his mistakes or if we'd seen more from him if he joined the team.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Drafting is apparently the key to developing a team...huh. Shall we take a trip down memory lane and see how that vaunted 2014 class is doing once again for us? You know, the first one assembled by the master drafter?

1) Jake Virtanen. Now on the team again...7 points so far this year. Definition of inconsistency. 3 line banger/crasher would be a good outcome for him now.
2) Jared McCann. Traded for Gudbranson, he of the great leadership, character, and stats of a 3rd pairing dumb muscle dman.
3) Thatcher Demko. Still coming up, still showing promise.
4) Nikita Tryamkin. Came over, played, got disgruntled, and went back to Russia. I defy anyone to come up with a single shred of proof he'd consider coming back.
5) Gustav Forsling. Given away for half a season of Clendening who was thrown away in the Sutter deal.
6) Kyle Pettit. Gone, waste of a pick.
7) Mackenze Stewart. Waste of a pick.

So out of that we may have a goalie and probably a bottom 6 winger at the NHL level, and that's still down the road. Meanwhile, we have a potential impact dman alienated for no reason and a dman who's currently logging top minutes in freaking Chicago given away for no reason, and maybe another scoring centre gone for a worse dman than either Forsling or Tryamkin.

I have no reason to think that the currently vaunted draft haul of last year won't be whittled down in similar fashion. Some WILL bust. Some will get injured, some will develop character issues, and some will probably be traded for crap returns because Benning still thinks he can bypass building through the draft.

And next time someone does one of those lineup projections for 2 or 3 years from now, don't forget Eriksson. He'll still be here, remember? Drafting doesn't mean shit if you can't manage a team.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Benning has shown he's not very good at roster building, not very good at pro-talent evaluating. Roster building, he's constantly built bottom 3 teams and has said that they were playoff teams. So clearly either he's dishonest, which isn't a good idea to create buy-in from the fans, plus very unlikely seeing he seems to be a very honest person. On the pro-scouting part he thought Gudbranson/Sbisa/Clendenning/Granlund/Sutter were going to potentially be core players.

If people think that Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat is enough to carry us out of a rebuild, wouldn't be smarter to find someone who's strengths are pro-talent evaluating and roster building?

I don't see the sense in keeping Benning around.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I am fully, 100% prepared to admit in front of god, this forum and the greater internet that I was really pissed off when Benning took Pettersson and that I am very pleasantly surprised by his performance to date. I will happily be proven wrong regarding Benning's picks...it's just not happening that often.

member 290103

You can't say he got lucky with Boeser but then lost on Virtanen and Juolevi. His draft record, aside from Virtanen and Juolevi is very good. It's everything else with him that's not....the trades, horrible contracts, etc.

Reactions: sunnyvale420

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You can't say he got lucky with Boeser but then lost on Virtanen and Juolevi. His draft record, aside from Virtanen and Juolevi is very good. It's everything else with him that's not....the trades, horrible contracts, etc.

Can't say I agree - blowing 3 out of 4 first round picks is the very antithesis of "good".

BB - hit
JV - miss
McCann/Gudbranson - miss
OJ - unknown, trending towards miss
Pettersson - unknown, trending towards hit

Realistically, Pettersson will be a hit, and that's 2/5 - still very underwhelming to say the least.

And this is not even considering the fact that alternate picks to JV and OJ were so f***ing obvious at the time, almost everyone on this board was able to figure it out except for a few who didn't know enough about the situation to comment. Consider the amount of money, time, and so-called "prestige" a GM's position has, is it not embarrassing to get out-drafted by a bunch of random internet strangers?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Drafting is probably like 3% of his job and the fact that we keep having to come back to this because all his acolytes act like it's 100% of his job is really telling.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Drafting is probably like 3% of his job and the fact that we keep having to come back to this because all his acolytes act like it's 100% of his job is really telling.
It's the only thing he's any good at, so that's what they have to hang their hats on. Pro scouting? Nope. Contracts? Nope. Cap management? Hell no. Hiring good people? Nope. Media relations? Community involvement? Unless you consider the Trump model good, nope.

Actually putting a good team on the ice? No. f***ing. Way.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Ya I think I can. Unless you think Benning “knew” that Boeser was going to score at a 47 goal pace as a 20 year old in the NHL I’d say he got a bit lucky that Boeser has developed as insanely good as he has since the draft. Nylander is exactly the player people thought he’d be which is why he was ranked as high as he was. Boeser was never “expected” to be 47 goal good by anyone, even Craig Button who had him 9th. Because 47 goal good gets you ranked 2nd in the draft behind only McDavid. I give credit to Benning for selecting Boeser and I was very happy with the pick at the time but I can simultaneously acknowledge that Boeser is better than anyone thought he’d be at this stage. Just as I don’t really “blame” Benning for passing on Pastrnak either simply because no one could have foreseen Pastrnak being as good as he’s become. Boston made a good pick but if they knew he’d be this good they’d never have waited until 25 to select him.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Benning blew the virtanen pick, Brackett saved his ass with the Boeser pick, Benning screwed up again with juolevi, and all credit for Pettersson goes to Brackett again.

This team would lose nothing of value by getting rid of Benning. He's as worthless as Ron Delorme. And probably more incompetent given the gravity of his position.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

You say it like missing on two of the organizations highest picks in the past ~15 years isn't a big deal. In the 2014 draft does either Winnipeg or Toronto trade the clear cut picks that we missed on in Ehlers/Nylander for the entire 2014 Canucks draft? Not a chance. Does Calgary trade the clear cut we missed on in Tkachuk for the entire 2016 Canucks draft? Not a chance.

Reactions: The Drop

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Boston had a chance to draft Kyle Connor, Matt Barzal and Thomas Chabot instead they drafted Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn. Later in the draft they hit on players like Brandon Carlo and Jeremy Lauzon. Does that make Don Sweeney a good drafter? No, because he clearly botched an opportunity to make his franchise extremely better long term.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Boston had a chance to draft Kyle Connor, Matt Barzal and Thomas Chabot instead they drafted Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn. Later in the draft they hit on players like Brandon Carlo and Jeremy Lauzon. Does that make Don Sweeney a good drafter? No, because he clearly botched an opportunity to make his franchise extremely better long term.

Exactly. It's great to get hits in the latter rounds but ultimately if you miss on your 1sts it doesn't really matter. It's a small sample size but 1/3 in the top 10 and 1/2 in the late 1st (I'd have given him 2/2 but McCann is a self inflicted wound) is not a good drafting record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad