Management Discussion v46 | Warning in OP (#834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
That's fair. Sergachev, Chychrun (despite his injury), and McAvoy have pissed over that theory. Ditto with Provorov and Werenski.

Yeah those players show the sort of progression a top dman pick needs to be more valuable than a consistant 60 point forward. Right now it would take a complete hail mary for Juolevi to end up a better or equal than Tkachuk, Keller, or even Sergachev or McAvoy.

So we're basically reaching the same point as we have with Virtanen. Without the benefit of hindsight he was taken before much better players, but at some point you just have to let that go and hope he becomes a decent player for our team. Personally I have Virtanen in the same spot I used to have Kassian now.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Well Holland is a big name in hockey, just like Torts was/is, I can definitely see the owners being interested just for that alone. Plus the pedigree of all those cup wins, I think he's their top candidate, unfortunately.
Looking at the Red Wings roster, cap space and prospect, I realized that if there is one team that is in worse shape than the Canucks both short and long term, it has to be them.
If the option is to keep Benning or give Holland a chance, it will be a tough choice.

Oh I'd definitely take Holland over Benning for the simple fact that he's a pick-frequency GM. He favours the draft and actually tries to get picks, even though the initial mode is to compete. Benning has nowhere near that ability or mindset.

Holland's biggest drawbacks seem to be his contract work and his reluctance to trade roster players in general. Oh, and he refuses to rebuild in the traditional sense. But that's probably what Aqua will like about him.

@RandV Yes, Holland could bounce back here.
I like his focus on skill and "paying for points". In most instances, that should result in money going toward the right things. Sometimes I think he gets tunnel vision at the top of the draft for purely skilled players that are missing key parts in their game, but other than that, there's a lot more to like than dislike.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well Holland is a big name in hockey, just like Torts was/is, I can definitely see the owners being interested just for that alone. Plus the pedigree of all those cup wins, I think he's their top candidate, unfortunately.
Looking at the Red Wings roster, cap space and prospect, I realized that if there is one team that is in worse shape than the Canucks both short and long term, it has to be them.
If the option is to keep Benning or give Holland a chance, it will be a tough choice.
Yeah,so lets hire one of the worst GM's in the 'cap era'..?...ain't happening.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah,so lets hire one of the worst GM's in the 'cap era'..?...ain't happening.

Do you even know what you're saying here?

Cap was instituted in 2004-2005. Red Wings won the cup in 2007-2008... during the cap era.

Red Wings garnered 2 presidents trophies in the "cap era".

Red Wings won 5 division titles during the cap era.

Red Wings made the playoffs up until 2016-2017. That's 10 consecutive winning seasons in the cap era.

I'd really love to see your standard for success/failure for the cap era. Please do share.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do you even know what you're saying here?

Cap was instituted in 2004-2005. Red Wings won the cup in 2007-2008... during the cap era.

Red Wings garnered 2 presidents trophies in the "cap era".

Red Wings won 5 division titles during the cap era.

Red Wings made the playoffs up until 2016-2017. That's 10 consecutive winning seasons in the cap era.

I'd really love to see your standard for success/failure for the cap era. Please do share.

The time has come for Ken Holland to step down as Red Wings GM | Detroit Sports Nation

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
I would thoroughly enjoy seeing Benning get a good caning tbh.
caning? like being beaten lol.

Seriously though Jimmy the G.O.A.T. is doing a magnificent job considering he didn't get hired after said team didn't just draft Stamkos/Hedman (Yzerman to TBL) or McDavid/Hall/Draisaitl (Chia), no Benning walked into this GM position with the aging Sedins just re-signed and Horvat with nothing else to work with basically - the Sedins as you seen recently are good enough to carry a team to mediocrity lately, not pure tank mode and they have owners freshly off a Cup run a few years prior, wanting a retool...but after 2015 they have conceded ok a rebuild in stealth mode is ok. Never understatement the owner's of a teams input!

Look at the Senators - their owner hates that no one wants to watch their team in Ottawa and now he wants to frickin' relocate them if people don't start buying tickets. The owners are the ones paying everyone, it's their job to make money and not lose cash.

So you have to understand that
in a team that can't totally just tank like the Oilers and be trash every year, especially in the expensive Vancouver real estate market - which so happens to be the Aquabros bread and butter.

Take that into consideration please CanaFan when you try to bash our beloved Jim Benning 24/7, who is piling up considerable prospect assets - even without "TANKING".

The proper assets are in place for a turn around in a few years.

HORVAT - BOESER
DAHLEN - PETTERSSON
GADJOVICH - LIND - GAUDETTE

JUOLEVI - TANEV
POULIOT - TRYAMKING (he will return)

DEMKO

And that's just the prospects for the most part, JB can and should turn some vets into picks/prospects at the TDD and in the offseason.

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
caning? like being beaten lol.

Seriously though Jimmy the G.O.A.T. is doing a magnificent job considering he didn't get hired after said team didn't just draft Stamkos/Hedman (Yzerman to TBL) or McDavid/Hall/Draisaitl (Chia), no Benning walked into this GM position with the aging Sedins just re-signed and Horvat with nothing else to work with basically - the Sedins as you seen recently are good enough to carry a team to mediocrity lately, not pure tank mode and they have owners freshly off a Cup run a few years prior, wanting a retool...but after 2015 they have conceded ok a rebuild in stealth mode is ok. Never understatement the owner's of a teams input!

Look at the Senators - their owner hates that no one wants to watch their team in Ottawa and now he wants to frickin' relocate them if people don't start buying tickets. The owners are the ones paying everyone, it's their job to make money and not lose cash.

So you have to understand that
in a team that can't totally just tank like the Oilers and be trash every year, especially in the expensive Vancouver real estate market - which so happens to be the Aquabros bread and butter.

Take that into consideration please CanaFan when you try to bash our beloved Jim Benning 24/7, who is piling up considerable prospect assets - even without "TANKING".

The proper assets are in place for a turn around in a few years.

HORVAT - BOESER
DAHLEN - PETTERSSON
GADJOVICH - LIND - GAUDETTE

JUOLEVI - TANEV
POULIOT - TRYAMKING (he will return)

DEMKO

And that's just the prospects for the most part, JB can and should turn some vets into picks/prospects at the TDD and in the offseason.
Yall got anymore of that crack

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I am utterly dumbfounded that any person - much less many of them - can have the level of delusion required to perceive Jim Benning as an excellent GM doing an excellent job.

Flat-earthers might be more tuned into reality.

Like, you people realize that we have most of the prospects we have BY ACCIDENT, right? They aren't here because of part of a plan. They aren't here because Jim Benning felt he needed them. They're here because the NHL rewards incompetence and because this incompetent GM accidentally finished in 28th and 29th place with a team and roster he spent to the cap on and meant to compete with.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
I am utterly dumbfounded that any person - much less many of them - can have the level of delusion required to perceive Jim Benning as an excellent GM doing an excellent job.

Flat-earthers might be more tuned into reality.

Like, you people realize that we have most of the prospects we have BY ACCIDENT, right? They aren't here because of part of a plan. They aren't here because Jim Benning felt he needed them. They're here because the NHL rewards incompetence and because this incompetent GM accidentally finished in 28th and 29th place with a team and roster he spent to the cap on and meant to compete with.
Don't be changing tunes when this team starts roaring forward in 2020 is all I'm saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Instead, let’s retain THE worst GM in the cap era right?
Instead of a GM bridging peace between a winning owner - a depressing/emo fan base like around here lol.................all while drafting winning prospects left and right.

Plus the fact that JB is signing some vets to help the team in the meantime to not be trashy like Oilers & Coyotes is golden.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Instead of a GM bridging peace between a winning owner - a depressing/emo fan base like around here lol.................all while drafting winning prospects left and right.

Plus the fact that JB is signing some vets to help the team in the meantime to not be trashy like Oilers & Coyotes is golden.
You make zero sense.

Canucks have finished 3rd and 2nd worst the past 2 seasons which is worse than the oilers and coyotes.

Thanks for coming out champ

Reactions: timw33

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
You make zero sense.

Canucks have finished 3rd and 2nd worst the past 2 seasons which is worse than the oilers and coyotes.

Thanks for coming out champ

Injuries are no excuse right?

But when the key players are out every year (these are facts) it will be a problem.

Even with our best players injured and some forced to retire, the team still isn't in the gutter - heck the team is still doing better than the Oilers...oh yeah they are going through injuries too right?

Even so, this team is still doing astonishingly better than both AZ and Oilers LOL.

Hell! even with all the injuries piling up to key players the Canucks are still ahead of the Flyers, Hurricanes, Avalanche, Habs, Redwings, Oilers, Panthers, Senators, Sabres and the ****** Yotes.

Even though we are still rebuilding and waiting for the Pettersson, Tryamkin and Demko (benning picks) to make their mark on the league.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If you think that Jim Benning is doing an above-average job, please tell me what an average GM would have done in his place and where we would be as a team with an average GM running the team since 2014.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Injuries are no excuse right?

But when the key players are out every year (these are facts) it will be a problem.

Even with our best players injured and some forced to retire, the team still isn't in the gutter - heck the team is still doing better than the Oilers...oh yeah they are going through injuries too right?

Even so, this team is still doing astonishingly better than both AZ and Oilers LOL.

Hell! even with all the injuries piling up to key players the Canucks are still ahead of the Flyers, Hurricanes, Avalanche, Habs, Redwings, Oilers, Panthers, Senators, Sabres and the ****** Yotes.

Even though we are still rebuilding and waiting for the Pettersson, Tryamkin and Demko (benning picks) to make their mark on the league.

Injuries are part of hockey. They aren’t an excuse. Deep, well built teams aren’t destroyed by a couple key injuries. Bad, shallow teams are.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Injuries are part of hockey. They aren’t an excuse. Deep, well built teams aren’t destroyed by a couple key injuries. Bad, shallow teams are.

YUP, I hear you, but this team isn't even fully built yet with it's core stars, it's still in development.

The Canucks are still moving on from the Sedins to the new team core, like evolution - like evolution it's going to take time.

The future core will be Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson with Juolevi and Tryamkin on D.
Demko is the next Schneider/Quick no doubt, dude is a beast.

Most of the core isn't even on the team yet, so whatever players JB can add on top of that is golden! horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad