Management Discussion v46 | Warning in OP (#834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't know..but thats the results...A year and a half ago,I'd say was the zenith of Bennings unpopularity..Things have obviously changed since then..
It's just speculation on my part (not based on any evidence obviously - just an opinion) that those that might've voted to turf the management have long tuned-out with respect to the team. The ones that stuck are the hardcore fans that have seen something better on the ice lately that the crap for each of the previous two season (not talking so much about the results but the on-ice product).

The voting probably reflects that.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think the attendance numbers speak pretty clearly. 18th in the league in overall attendance and 23rd in capacity percentage. The worst attendance numbers for the Canucks since 2001-02.

2017-2018 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Current management clearly tanked fan interest in this team.

Not to mention this:
Vancouver Canucks: Jim Benning ranked worst NHL GM

Which was brushed off as unreliable, biased, and "stupid", despite providing source and methodology, comparing with other GM's in the league.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not to mention this:
Vancouver Canucks: Jim Benning ranked worst NHL GM

Which was brushed off as unreliable, biased, and "stupid", despite providing source and methodology, comparing with other GM's in the league.

Because he wasn't the worst. A lot of it is circumstances. He took over an aging team and was named the worst GM when his draft picks haven't had time to prove themselves. Meanwhile you have a GM like Ken Holland who hasn't done much for years, Joe Sakic who has done nothing to build around the young core he inherited, and Marc Bergevin? The Coyotes' GM hasn't fared well either.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Because he wasn't the worst. A lot of it is circumstances. He took over an aging team and was named the worst GM when his draft picks haven't had time to prove themselves. Meanwhile you have a GM like Ken Holland who hasn't done much for years, Joe Sakic who has done nothing to build around the young core he inherited, and Marc Bergevin? The Coyotes' GM hasn't fared well either.

Draft picks are weighted in that model by projection. They did not need to prove themselves. That was the same method used for all teams. Further, it did not matter that Benning took over an "aging club", it's his decisions that were ranked, not the base. A base which he tried to improve in a re-tool anyways because he thought he could fix it.

You're dismissing that article out of turn without understanding its methodology.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Benning took over a crappy old team, did a whole bunch of stupid shit that makes no sense, has churned through epic piles of mostly veteran junk that has done nothing but make the team worse, but he is doing an excellent job because Boeser.

That sums up 50,000 posts on this topic.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Except he is the worst. But let's just keep ignoring facts when we don't agree with them.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Haven't had time to prove themselves? How about look at the players we missed, compare with those we picked?

Also, since when has the likes of Bergevin and Sakic become the golden standard of GM's? That's like if I'm the chef at a luxury restaurant, I cook a shitty steak and brush off customer complaint by saying hey at least it tastes better than diarrhea.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

I'd argue Holland for all the nothing or bad he's in the past few years easily had a better trade deadline than Benning last season and Chayka has made great moves for the most part since he's taken the reins in Arizona.

Sakic has at least managed to get the price he set out to get for Duchene , but Sakic and Bergevin are hardly what I'd label as the standard for a good GM just like Benning isn't either.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
We are clearly bottom 3rd in the league in terms of management- there's no doubt about that. I'll leave it up to the "experts" to do the rankings. Lots of GMs are boxed into a corner because hockey is a business and the contract/extension situation especially, or pressure from ownership to make dumb UFA moves. Things a GM can control most of all is how they draft and how they trade and how they manage the cap.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
And failed to see it needed a full rebuild. That lack of awareness, that you just pointed out, is a big part of why he's been so bad.

Without seeing the post you quoted, this is exactly correct.

His continued failure to evaluate where his team is at and what it needs is the key part of where he has failed.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Draft picks are weighted in that model by projection. They did not need to prove themselves. That was the same method used for all teams. Further, it did not matter that Benning took over an "aging club", it's his decisions that were ranked, not the base. A base which he tried to improve in a re-tool anyways because he thought he could fix it.

You're dismissing that article out of turn without understanding its methodology.

This surprises you?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
People made it sound like the fans are asking too much of Benning. Serious, we are not expecting Benning to be on Yzerman's level - that's like asking Hayden Christensen to be Darth Vader.

But right now Benning's not even at Greedo's level.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Star Wars nerd!:laugh:

Jim Benning actually is at Wesley Crusher's level.;)

Linden is Dr. Pulaski.

Psh look who's talking, ya star trek nerd~

I don't know about others, but in my eyes, had Benning hit ONE of the three first rounders he missed, and won 2-3 of the trades/FA signings he blew, I would be able to at least tolerate it.

JB

JarJar Binks?

Well he certainly doesn't talk much smarter than JJ Binks...he's not even that funny either...

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Tough time for the injuries. I really did think we were a bubble team if healthy. Obviously w. The man games lost this year from Tanev to horvat it will be hard to makr playoffs.

On the brightside tho,

Benning will have more Ammo and high end picks in his arsenal come draft day ! Looking forward to his drafting.

Hope he signs the extension soon. Im guessing he will be given 2 more years.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Tough time for the injuries. I really did think we were a bubble team if healthy. Obviously w. The man games lost this year from Tanev to horvat it will be hard to makr playoffs.

On the brightside tho,

Benning will have more Ammo and high end picks in his arsenal come draft day ! Looking forward to his drafting.

Why would missing Tanev hurt when they've added Young Drew Doughty?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

On the brightside tho,

LOL there's no way Benning survives if the team takes another nose dive.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
LOL there's no way Benning survives if the team takes another nose dive.

The injuries are Bennings fault??
We were in a playoff spot just before the injuries in a year when we were supposed to be bottom 5 in NHL.

If anything the injuries are deflecting the attention away from him .

Sign the man !

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We were in a playoff spot just before the injuries in a year when we were supposed to be bottom 5 in NHL.

Sign the man !

Every team deals with injuries. If injuries to a 45 point player, a 30 point player, and a 25 point player are enough to sink the team then the team is junk. Plus it's really the kids who are injured (if you consider Horvat and Baertschi kids...considering there really are no kids on the team outside of Boeser and Virtanen anyway). What happened to all of Benning's veterans he brought in to insulate these guys? Seems like he brought in a whole lot of junk.

You seem very insistent that they re-sign him. Perhaps you see the writing on the wall?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Sign the man !

Do you know what their record was heading into January last year?

Here's a hint: It wasn't drastically different than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad