Making a Case for Kadri as FLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
Kadri only has better hands then Bozak. Bozak's got a way better overall two way playing style which we need with this garbage defense.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Always a two stage debate

1. Is he better than Bozak

If no, then Bozak stays at 1

If yes, then the 'eggs in one basket' argument gets rolled out, aaaand Bozak stays at 1.

Circular fun.

What's wrong with the "eggs into one basket argument"?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Kadri only has better hands then Bozak. Bozak's got a way better overall two way playing style which we need with this garbage defense.
Bozak isn't the best two-way forward on the top line. In terms of the GA On/ 60 metric, Kessel was. It became rather clear last season that when Kessel wants to, he can be a beast defensively. He can strip puck off forwards that protect the puck extremely well (i.e. Jagr). If the Bozak - Kessel pair stays, I think we need to consider putting JVR with Kadri.

JVR - Kadri - Lupul would actually resemble a top line.

Holland - Bozak - Kessel ( counter-attack scoring line)

Frattin - Kontiola - Clarkson

Fact is, Bozak was terrible defensively last-season. Kadri was not as bad as him in that regard and he's only going to get better. In fact, the missing link on the defensive end on Kadri's line was the older Lupul. That, and spending more time with shaky mid and third pairings won't help either.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bozak isn't the best two-way forward on the top line. In terms of the GA On/ 60 metric, Kessel was. It became rather clear last season that when Kessel wants to, he can be a beast defensively. He can strip puck off forwards that protect the puck extremely well (i.e. Jagr). If the Bozak - Kessel pair stays, I think we need to consider putting JVR with Kadri.

Fact is, Bozak was terrible defensively last-season. Kadri was not as bad as him in that regard and he's only going to get better. In fact, the missing link on the defensive end on Kadri's line was the older Lupul. That, and spending more time with shaky mid and third pairings won't help either.

Kessel a beast defensively?

Not even close!!!!

Come on man, you can't possibly believe that can you?

Kessel's best defensively description would be barely adequate.

I like Kessel, and think he showed more character than the team's captain last year and Kessel took ownership of the failures but a "beast defensively"?

Kadri's weakness is his game management, and he is no where near Bozak in supporting his linemates. He's a showy, flashy, nifty mittens developing player who only has to gain experience to get better. He's been rather slow developing, going into his 5th. pro-season we're still asking for patience.

Give him another couple seasons and he just might find those missing pieces to his game.

Possesion player? You mean like he holds the puck, dekes, skates it up the ice? Like Gardiner skates the puck up the ice resulting in possession, whereas another player would pass and head man the puck? Did you ever watch the Wings in their recent dominant years, where they'd continuously pass the puck up down, across? Team possession is a better indicator than individual possession.

Durkin67

I dont get what eludes so many about this. Is Kadri more skilled? Sure. Hes a finisher with some solid playmaling ability when he puts his mind to it. And this whole analytics argument is meaningless.kessel doesn't care about kadris hockey reference report card, or bozaks for that matter.how kadri performed in other scenarios with other linemates means eff all.its about chemistry and communication, and comfort level and metrics be damned, kessel is most comfortable with bozak. Any argument to the contrary is immediately dismissable based on this one critical factor, and as long as kessel remains our top producer, that's the final word on the subject.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I dont get what eludes so many about this. Is Kadri more skilled? Sure. Hes a finisher with some solid playmaling ability when he puts his mind to it. And this whole analytics argument is meaningless.kessel doesn't care about kadris hockey reference report card, or bozaks for that matter.how kadri performed in other scenarios with other linemates means eff all.its about chemistry and communication, and comfort level and metrics be damned, kessel is most comfortable with bozak. Any argument to the contrary is immediately dismissable based on this one critical factor, and as long as kessel remains our top producer, that's the final word on the subject.

You turned your cap lock off:naughty: After reading your last line I am afraid to make another post about The Good One. Naz Gretzky.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Kessel a beast defensively?

Not even close!!!!

Come on man, you can't possibly believe that can you?

Kessel's best defensively description would be barely adequate.

I like Kessel, and think he showed more character than the team's captain last year and Kessel took ownership of the failures but a "beast defensively"?

Kadri's weakness is his game management, and he is no where near Bozak in supporting his linemates. He's a showy, flashy, nifty mittens developing player who only has to gain experience to get better. He's been rather slow developing, going into his 5th. pro-season we're still asking for patience.

Give him another couple seasons and he just might find those missing pieces to his game.

Possesion player? You mean like he holds the puck, dekes, skates it up the ice? Like Gardiner skates the puck up the ice resulting in possession, whereas another player would pass and head man the puck? Did you ever watch the Wings in their recent dominant years, where they'd continuously pass the puck up down, across? Team possession is a better indicator than individual possession.

Kadri is the best passer and playmaker on the team.

His possession numbers are strong because he passes so well. It's why he's still capable of putting up 50 points with Clarkson playing on his wing.

Possession numbers, as they are currently calculated (Corsi, Fenwick), do not credit you for holding the puck. They credit you for taking shots compared with how many shots you give up.

The team has significantly better possession when he is on the ice. He's a better game manager than you give him credit for. The possession numbers prove that.

Durkin67

o

bYou turned your cap lock off:naughty: After reading your last line I am afraid to make another post about The Good One. Naz Gretzky.

Fear not interweb amigo, post and postulate away...but can we all stop pretending our interpretation of analytics outweighs what really matters? That of course being the underlying intangible which trumps any metric worth mentioning - compatability between players.
Ps: when have I ever used caps?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Always a two stage debate

1. Is he better than Bozak

If no, then Bozak stays at 1

If yes, then the 'eggs in one basket' argument gets rolled out, aaaand Bozak stays at 1.

Circular fun.

Always?? Maybe for a few.

Most think the "eggs in one basket" isn't the way to go. That's hardly circular, seems rather logical.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Well then surely Bozak is capable of carrying his own line, no?

Anyways Kessel we all know can carry his own line.WE need to get Kadri some help, if we go the internal route JVR would be the logical option.

××××-Bozo - Kessel
JVR-Kadri - Lupul

Our team would be so much deeper if we made a deal with Pitt for Neal. Seeing what NSH gave up we could of made a deal.

tylers nick-name is either

Boz or Bozzie

get with it

weems

Jul 3, 2008

This is a example of someone taking advanced analytics way too far.

Kessel has shown he can be a "beast" defensively?

That honestly might be the funniest thing I've ever heard on this message board.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well if we want to get better we need a better line playing as our top line. Your top line should out score the opponents when playing 5 on 5 or your hopes off having a winning season is not likely. Our top line lacked good possession stats despite scoring a lot of goals. This will change this year as I can not see just how the new assistant GM and Shanny can ignore this obvious issue.

Will it be Kadri in place of Bozak or some winger in place of JVR? I say it makes no sense changing the parts that works, so it looks more likely that the center is the one that will be changed. We have a couple of options since last year ended and if not Kadri it needs to be someone.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
We already have this thread and its only August?

Fire Kyle is just around the corner:laugh:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm a Kadri fan, I make no bones about it, but the idea of him taking over Bozaks position as the 1C is ludicrous based on his performance last year.

Kadri is a kid with above average wheels, otherworldly puck skills, sweet hands or nifty mittens if you will, a great release and a mean streak! These are all things that an NHL 1C has to have, but what Kadri hasn't shown yet is the ability to use his team-mates at the level that an NHL 1C has to be able to. The innate ability to dish when it's most advantageous, the ability to use the points to free up coverage on a winger.....all things that Bozak already does.

Kadri has not as yet learned those intricacies of the game or at least showed a willingness to use his team-mates to the best advantage when in the attacking zone. The defensive part of his game showed some improvements but again imco he's not yet at the level that a 1C has to be at!

If Kadri starts doing those things with consistency then he deserves a shot

Put it this way an NHL 1C has to be more Harry Houdini then a Gob Bluth

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

His possession numbers are strong because he passes so well. It's why he's still capable of putting up 50 points with Clarkson playing on his wing.

Possession numbers, as they are currently calculated (Corsi, Fenwick), do not credit you for holding the puck. They credit you for taking shots compared with how many shots you give up.

The team has significantly better possession when he is on the ice. He's a better game manager than you give him credit for. The possession numbers prove that.

Your first sentence disqualifies your opinion.

Kessel is, and it is not close. Kadri is not the best playmaker or Passer on the team. To suggest he is over Kessel really defines incredulity.

I think Kadri hangs onto the puck too long, when he should have passed it to Kessel and JVR in last year's stint at #1C. This is why Bozak was better on the #1 line and with Kessel and JVR. It's a big fundamental difference and point.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Kessel is, and it is not close. Kadri is not the best playmaker or Passer on the team. To suggest he is over Kessel really defines incredulity.

I think Kadri hangs onto the puck too long, when he should have passed it to Kessel and JVR in last year's stint at #1C. This is why Bozak was better on the #1 line and with Kessel and JVR. It's a big fundamental difference and point.

If that's grounds for "disqualifying his opinion," then your opinion has been disqualified about 1000 times over. What an arrogant thing to say. While I do agree that Kessel is the best playmaker on the team, Kadri comes in very close at second, and it's not nearly as preposterous as you try and make it out to be.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If that's grounds for "disqualifying his opinion," then your opinion has been disqualified about 1000 times over. What an arrogant thing to say. While I do agree that Kessel is the best playmaker on the team, Kadri comes in very close at second, and it's not nearly as preposterous as you try and make it out to be.

No one should be claiming Kadri is a better passer and playmaker than Kessel right now.

We have had Kadri being compared to Gretzky as skaters, and now better than Kessel as a playmaker posts this week. Neither are true, enough with the crowning of maybe princes.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario

Kessel is a better passer. By quite a bit right now.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No one should be claiming Kadri is a better passer and playmaker than Kessel right now.

We have had Kadri being compared to Gretzky as skaters, and now better than Kessel as a playmaker posts this week. Neither are true, enough with the crowning of maybe princes.

You are the only person in this thread that has compared Kadri to Gretzky in skating.

As for passer It is very close who the best passer on the team....but I would think that Rielly, Kessel and Kadri are all very close. I would likely choose Rielly as the best pure passer as he hits tape and passes very hard flat pucks.

Playmaker is Kessel.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

Kadri is right behind Kessel in assists over the past two seasons, despite playing with inferior linemates during that span, and getting 252 minutes less time on the PP.

Kessel brings different skills (skating speed and shooting) to the table that make him more dynamic in other ways (generating odd-man rushes and rebounds or goals), but Kadri is the best passer.

We may have different definitions of playmaking, so I'll retract that for it's ambiguity.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You are the only person in this thread that has compared Kadri to Gretzky in skating.

As for passer It is very close who the best passer on the team....but I would think that Rielly, Kessel and Kadri are all very close. I would likely choose Rielly as the best pure passer as he hits tape and passes very hard flat pucks.

Playmaker is Kessel.

Actually I see no resemblance in skating for Kadri and Gretzky. Gretzky was again one of the best all around skaters in the NHL, Kadri is ok at best. We have been through this discussion already, I asked you if you think Kadri is as fast as 99, does he have 99's balance, does he have 99's one step quickness. All No's.

You think they are alike, I think you are wrong, it is simply a poor opinion to compare the 2.

As for Kadri being close to Kessel as passers. Not even close. Another poor comparable. If he were as good a skater as 99 and if he was as good a playmaker as Kessel. I know one thing, we would not be asking the question in the OP Kadri FLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia