Post-Game Talk: Make it 13!!

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Solid, solid win but as far as intensity goes it wasn't really a battle of Alberta as much as a slight disagreement of Alberta. Gagner with a big brain goal. Liked that line a lot, Holloway played well and the speed down the middle with McDavid, Draisaitl, McLeod and Holloway is a nice quality to have.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Solid, solid win but as far as intensity goes it wasn't really a battle of Alberta as much as a slight disagreement of Alberta. Gagner with a big brain goal. Liked that line a lot, Holloway played well and the speed down the middle with McDavid, Draisaitl, McLeod and Holloway is a nice quality to have.
Whaaaat? That game was intense as hell.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Never got the love for Micheals. He might work well in a city like Edmonton with a lot of blue collar fans that like WWE over the top Jim Ross type commentary.

CBC has always wanted more polished Cole and Neale types and that fits Singhs more.
I like the Michaels and Louie combo. It's like a face/heel dynamic which makes for great TV

I actually enjoy Louie, he speaks to the pessimistic (and often realistic) side of me. I wouldn't be able to stand having 2 yes men talking the entire game but most people do enjoy when people only say nice things about their fave team

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm really starting to get worried at McDavid's lack of production. This feels like the worst he's played since his rookie year.
Isn't he basically just shy of 2PPG over the last 25 games?

Last night was the end of a 12 game point streak for him and he could have had 3 points easily last night. (Breakaway, drai break, ekholm chance)

Thomas Tatar

Flames fans are trying to paint the Oilers record-setting win as some sort of fluke, due to the fact that Gagner's winning goal was a double deflection and then in off the goalpost. Well, what about the other two goals?

McLeod's goal was highlight reel stuff. Even McDavid was blown away by the speed and touch McLeod showed on that play. Best goal of McLeod's career.

Then Hyman scored on a hustle play where he blew by Ratmus, picked it up and beat Weegar as well. One against two and he scored no problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Huska is not too pleased with Andersson's lack of effort on that play.

Sorry Flames fans, but the Oilers both outskilled and outworked the Flames, and that's why they won.
Is it a fluke to lose when your own team can’t score more than one goal? Instead of focusing on the goal that went in, maybe they should focus on the fact they were dominated defensively?

Weird bounces happen in hockey all the time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He’s becoming more Crosbyesque in his game. Way more diligent in coming back to defend. He will have his games where he gets his points, but he and the rest of team have finally matured enough to realize the type of hockey needed to play to have playoff success.
Good post. McDavid continues to evolve as a player and we're watching his two-way game reach new level. Notable too is a heavier, greasy game to engage physically with opposition. He's also strategic in this often early in games and in tight situations. Leadership by example. Injured and back quickly for a massive Heritage Classic prospective season defining game on an injury projected to be weeks more. Captain's grit and determination we can all see.

Line 1 has carried this team through much of the resurgence with an extended period of 70% goalshare now 'whittled' down to 66%. They take on the opposition's best every game. It's massive to see this team step up with depth scoring. No mistake though on the engine who drives this team. Now all are following the example of a 200 foot commitment to winning.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
The Oilers are only allowed to get bounces when Sam Gagner is on the ice.

Everybody but Evander Kane and Cody Ceci gets a cookie.
Kane played well. You obviously didn't watch game

Kind of shocked that no Canadian team has ever won more than 12 in a row until tonight.
Why you shocked?? It's very hard to do and you need bounces to go your way in a few games.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
I like the Michaels and Louie combo. It's like a face/heel dynamic which makes for great TV

I actually enjoy Louie, he speaks to the pessimistic (and often realistic) side of me. I wouldn't be able to stand having 2 yes men talking the entire game but most people do enjoy when people only say nice things about their fave team
Michaels is one of the worst play by play guys in history. His over the top fake commentary belongs in WWE. I grew up on rod Philips. Now that guy had genuine passion for Oilers and the game

Reactions: Biltmore

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

It's not a question of Louie being a yes man or not. It's that he has gone completely in the opposite direction. It's actually quite natural for a team's broadcast crew to have a home team bias. But they do need to be critical when needed. Rod Philips was excellent in this regard. You knew he bled Oilers colors but when they deserved it he would be the first guy to point out issues.

Listening to Louie over this streak you would have thought that the Oilers were 0-13 rather than 13-0. Pretty much every night he heaps praise on the opposition players and makes it sound like the Oilers are getting dominated. It's like Drew Remenda 2.0, though at least when Remenda was doing color the Oilers typically deserved a lot of the criticism.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It's not a question of Louie being a yes man or not. It's that he has gone completely in the opposite direction. It's actually quite natural for a team's broadcast crew to have a home team bias. But they do need to be critical when needed. Rod Philips was excellent in this regard. You knew he bled Oilers colors but when they deserved it he would be the first guy to point out issues.

Listening to Louie over this streak you would have thought that the Oilers were 0-13 rather than 13-0. Pretty much every night he heaps praise on the opposition players and makes it sound like the Oilers are getting dominated. It's like Drew Remenda 2.0, though at least when Remenda was doing color the Oilers typically deserved a lot of the criticism.
It’s strange because we seem to be the only team that I’m aware of that doesn’t have the home team bias, and even are going the other way to make it seem like a road broadcast. Very annoying.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Vincent Desharnais is playing very well right now.

By the way, the Oilers' RS record with Desharnais in the line-up is: 53 - 19 - 4.

I realize he doesn't get a whole lot of ES ice-time, but so far in his entire career, he has been -2 only twice in 76 career games.

In the Calgary game, ES shots with Desharnais on the ice were 16 to 4 for Edmonton.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Michaels is one of the worst due to his insane intensity and over the top homerisim. Oilers can be down 6-1 with 3 minutes left and if they score he's like here come the oilers😂 Singh is almost as bad and for some reason his gravely voice gives me serious creep vibes but Louie is awesome. He's not a homer, he's super genuine. I would love him with shorty another guy whos the goat.
The guy never calls an opposing goal any different than a nucks goal but man do I miss Garret. Sure he loved his nucks but like Louie he's such a nice dude who never takes himself seriously.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Vincent Desharnais is playing very well right now.

By the way, the Oilers' RS record with Desharnais in the line-up is: 53 - 19 - 4.

I realize he doesn't get a whole lot of ES ice-time, but so far in his entire career, he has been -2 only twice in 76 career games.

In the Calgary game, ES shots with Desharnais on the ice were 16 to 4 for Edmonton.
Less ice time, but Kulak and DD pair are up at the top for advanced stats as a pair. Like top 5

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
The remaining schedule doesn't look too bad. April looks like the roughest ride. It seems the sizeable majority of games left are teams under us.
Man I was looking at the remaing schedule for the nucks and oilers and I think we finish 1-2 barring both teams stay healthy.
I've been caught up in the pettiness between our teams because of a handful of posters here must be from Toronto originally but after seeing the leafs fans act like douche bags after their losses trying to discredit our teams along with my hatred of Calgary I now just want both teams to advance farther than them lol. Gotta say the Pacific is going to be a bloodbath.
Congrats on the run and turning it around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad