Post-Game Talk: Make it 13!!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McDavid centers the best line in the league when considering offense and defense. Of course we'd all love him to win another Art Ross and Hart, but right now he's doing what it takes to win a Stanley Cup.
But he's not. Every scoring chance the Flames were getting in the first couple periods was against our topline. McD left pucks behind, made terrible drop passes and wasn't playing a particularly responsible game. Of the GA was against our topline as were the Flames best chances all night. Thats a problem. Its not like McD is just snakebit, he's not playing well. Sure he backchecks well but he's doing that too because of the times he knows he's made a really bad miscue. He's overhandling the puck uphigh and turning it over often in areas where you can't do that. its just not being punished a lot. But it was exactly these types of plays that were killing us when the team wasn't playing well defensively.

McD was making low probability plays with the puck last night. Again forcing things. its like he thinks every play has to be 100miles an hour instead of taking what is there.

McD has had a really off season. Pedestrian for him. Its strange too because just a couple weeks ago it looked like nothing was wrong with him.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm really starting to get worried at McDavid's lack of production. This feels like the worst he's played since his rookie year.
He’s becoming more Crosbyesque in his game. Way more diligent in coming back to defend. He will have his games where he gets his points, but he and the rest of team have finally matured enough to realize the type of hockey needed to play to have playoff success.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Flames fans: Oilers are a two-man team. Besides McDrai you have nothing.
Me: We beat your guys and neither NcDavid nor Draisaitl got a point.

Flames fans: You win with power plays.
Me: We never got a PP goal Last night.

Flames fans: Your defence is porous like Swiss cheese.
Me: That was the 11th straight game giving up two goals or fewer.

Flames fans: Skinner sucks; your goaltending is terrible.
Me: See previous answer but I’ll add - during this 13-game win streak, Edmonton has allowed just 1.67 goals per 60. They have just two games with three GA, and five games with fewer than two GA. In his last eight starts Skinner has a 1.48 GAA and a .948 SV%.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Vinny is here for the long haul. Dman that big don’t grow on trees. He has improved 10 fold since coaching change. I noticed he is jumping into the play a lot more now. All our D are jumping up in the play in the offensive zone. I like it.
Kulak will need to be moved for VD to be re-signed.

Reactions: McDoused

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
But he's not. Every scoring chance the Flames were getting in the first couple periods was against our topline. McD left pucks behind, made terrible drop passes and wasn't playing a particularly responsible game. Of the GA was against our topline as were the Flames best chances all night. Thats a problem. Its not like McD is just snakebit, he's not playing well. Sure he backchecks well but he's doing that too because of the times he knows he's made a really bad miscue. He's overhandling the puck uphigh and turning it over often in areas where you can't do that. its just not being punished a lot. But it was exactly these types of plays that were killing us when the team wasn't playing well defensively.

McD was making low probability plays with the puck last night. Again forcing things. its like he thinks every play has to be 100miles an hour instead of taking what is there.

McD has had a really off season. Pedestrian for him. Its strange too because just a couple weeks ago it looked like nothing was wrong with him.
i think he’s fighting it a bit and wonder if there’s an arm or a wrist thing going on. That said he’s still very, very good, just not super nova. However, we’ve been wanting a balanced team for years that didn’t need to rely on him so exclusively, and here we appear to be so that’s a good thing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How weird would this all feel for Holloway? When he got injured it was early in KK's first game. The team had a dismal record, on the ropes, coaches fired, things were very uncertain and then he gets injured crashing into the boards. What a gutcheck time for a player that has had some injury downfalls. FF and he's back, the team is now the hottest team in the league, team is flying, a game in Calgary with all the buzz of that and he comes in and plays a solid game. Keeping in mind the game is in Calgary, where Holloway is from. Made some really good plays on puck and a few good feeds. Should have had two assists. Just really impressed with his focus in the midst of what had to be a surreal experience being that everything was different and also that he'd been out so long.

I think this coaching staff will be kinder to Holloway. Got 10mins first game back, fairly regular shifts and one assist.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Drai has been exceptional since the coaching change. Last night he was making plays all night and nobody cashing including McD failing to score with most of the net empty on a gimme chance. Drai also has had about 3 assists deleted by NHL for inexplicable reasons. He gets shafted by stats on occasion. The shot hasn't been the same but thats often the first thing to go as players begin to age. Its normal for their to be some production decline. Peak production is usually around age 24-27.

The McD decline this season is more pronounced and especially since McD is getting top linemates all season and Drai has had to work with everybody else.

Drai is the one on this team that gets players feeling it again. Players improve playing with Drai. What happens with McD is players heat up for awhile and then things go cold. Its inexplicable. The top line other than Hyman has been ass for weeks.
The biggest change in his game this year is his refusal to shoot the puck. He is forcing and deferring almost always. Stark contrast from last year

I believe it has to be an injury. Nothing else makes sense.

Reactions: McDoused

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Should we go back through some old threads and pull up some of the things guys were saying about Skinner a couple months ago?

Could be fun.
I mean, a lot of it was super valid then. It's not that Skinner just magically flipped a switch either, the D has tightened up huge which has helped Skinner to not face so many high danger chances which has also helped him to not be completely exhausted after the 2nd period of most games.

Defense can make average goalies look spectacular at times. The change to the D has allowed him to really settle in and find some confidence as well. Even Pickard has looked decent decent overall, defense changes everything!

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Flames fans are trying to paint the Oilers record-setting win as some sort of fluke, due to the fact that Gagner's winning goal was a double deflection and then in off the goalpost. Well, what about the other two goals?

McLeod's goal was highlight reel stuff. Even McDavid was blown away by the speed and touch McLeod showed on that play. Best goal of McLeod's career.

Then Hyman scored on a hustle play where he blew by Ratmus, picked it up and beat Weegar as well. One against two and he scored no problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Huska is not too pleased with Andersson's lack of effort on that play.

Sorry Flames fans, but the Oilers both outskilled and outworked the Flames, and that's why they won.
Who f***ing cares what flames fans think about anything! Not like Oilers fans would compliment their win streak either, not like they could ever put together any kind of historic win streak either!

That's why they are our rivals. We shit all over each other and that's fun!

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
@MoneyGuy

"Flames fans: Oilers are a two-man team. Besides McDrai you have nothing.
Me: We beat your guys and neither NcDavid nor Draisaitl got a point.

Flames fans: You win with power plays.
Me: We never got a PP goal Last night.

Flames fans: Your defence is porous like Swiss cheese.
Me: That was the 11th straight game giving up two goals or fewer.

Flames fans: Skinner sucks; your goaltending is terrible.
Me: See previous answer but I’ll add - during this 13-game win streak, Edmonton has allowed just 1.67 goals per 60. They have just two games with three GA, and five games with fewer than two GA. In his last eight starts Skinner has a 1.48 GAA and a .948 SV%."

Flames library books are overdue because they're dumb

Here's their theme song

That feanchise....m..fanbase......They are just......so ....... dumb

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I turned off the sound on the tv. Turned it up when they were interviewing Sam though. Really pissed me off that they made comment on this being his third try with the oilers. Maybe because it really pissed me off when the oilers traded him the last time. Maybe they won’t make that mistake this time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He asked him the Cowboys question. The Flames are just the cowboys north.
I think that the Cowboys north moniker fits the Leafs perfectly.
(Supposedly) Canadas team...cant win in the playoffs.

I turned off the sound on the tv. Turned it up when they were interviewing Sam though. Really pissed me off that they made comment on this being his third try with the oilers. Maybe because it really pissed me off when the oilers traded him the last time. Maybe they won’t make that mistake this time.
Then you missed listening to Louie.
I swear that he makes an extra effort to undersate the Oilers and talk up the other team.

Reactions: Biltmore

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
That's difficult. I've been following the league since moving to Canada in 2002. I don't remember any team going on such streaks. Maybe Boston when they were super dominant.
I remember the nyi 15 game streak in 81. Really cold that winter and my brother drove me to school, was on the radio.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Never got the love for Micheals. He might work well in a city like Edmonton with a lot of blue collar fans that like WWE over the top Jim Ross type commentary.

CBC has always wanted more polished Cole and Neale types and that fits Singhs more.
He is kinda irritating sometimes also, but he’s not competing against good. Singh doesn’t know the game and the other guy sounds like he’s interviewing to be the leaf play by play.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4