Makar vs Hughes

Who would you take?

• Total voters

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I responded in a similar thread about Young Stud D in the NHL right now...I put it this way, WITHOUT their star D man, would their team still be a decent - or even good team:
Avalanche without Makar: yes
Canucks without Hughes: no

I don't know who will wind up the better D man in the years to come, but I take the overall team around the player into consideration in these type of arguments. [Just to be clear: I'm not faulting Makar for having better players around him than Hughes, I just think that should be looked at.]

But you are faulting him. If Makar was on the Canucks, they might be even better right now. Who knows?

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I responded in a similar thread about Young Stud D in the NHL right now...I put it this way, WITHOUT their star D man, would their team still be a decent - or even good team:

I don't know who will wind up the better D man in the years to come, but I take the overall team around the player into consideration in these type of arguments. [Just to be clear: I'm not faulting Makar for having better players around him than Hughes, I just think that should be looked at.]
But we also have to look at:
Canucks with Makar- yes
And the avs wouldn’t be near as good as they are without Makar. A 50+ point #1 d man is a big loss. When Makar was out for 8 games from the hit for Marchand the avs lost 6 of those games.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Sounds like you are indeed faulting him.

These teammate comparisons are silly. What I've seen over and over again in these threads is that people assume that Makar is depending on Mackinnon in some way. On the contrary, Makar's scoring rate is better when he is out there with the second and third liners, it dips with Mackinnon for some reason.

It's Hughes that is most dependent on playing with his star center. And that shouldn't be surprising. Hughes is an A+ facilitator but he needs others to help put the puck in the net. Makar can do a lot more by himself. It's a team game so take that for what it's worth and not much more.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
These guys are both so lucky they got drafted on teams with legit offensive talent.

We also got extremely lucky that they did.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Their actual goals against was like 24th or something in the league. No, the discrepancy is not something you can explain by claiming a bad goaltender

High correlation is still correlation. Especially relevant distinction in times when they don’t correlate.

They’re definitely mediocre defensively (you might want to learn what that means by the way).

Also lol at trying to compare the RR stuff when everyone was more interested in getting up to speed. The irony being that taking that out only helps Makar’s case in the POs. I’d gladly not include them even if it wasn’t

Dubnyk had an .890 save percentage this year and goaltending isn't to blame? Sure, Jan

Mediocre is average. Wild are clearly above average. And even if they were mediocre, they were a hell of a lot better than the display the Coyotes put on against the Avs.

It's not an issue in taking out the round robin, it's putting things in perspective. You suggest taking it out because he didn't perform as well, but that's not the point. He played against teams not going 100% and didn't perform as well. It was a "luxury" he didn't take advantage of. I don't really care about the competition either way it was just a stupid comment to bring up and kind of hilarious you're defending it

Last edited:

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Both are elite and both are special but these playoffs have reaffirmed to me it’s Quinn Hughes. Been one of, if not the best defensemen since the return to play. Makar has been pretty good but Hughes has been the best player on the ice quite a few nights.

Reactions: Grub and platotld

lawrence

May 19, 2012
anyone who questions Hughes ability as a number 1 dman after game 5 should see a doctor. He is manipulating the game for the Canucks like O Reiley is doing for the blues. He literally dawned the cape when Edler went down and saved our asses, a long with Markstrom saving our ass tonight.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I haven't seen Colorado/Arizona (can you blame me?) but I saw Makar had a sick goal walking Goligoski.

Hope these guys meet in the playoffs. And if it doesn't happen this year I'm sure its only a matter of time.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Both are elite and both are special but these playoffs have reaffirmed to me it’s Quinn Hughes. Been one of, if not the best defensemen since the return to play. Makar has been pretty good but Hughes has been the best player on the ice quite a few nights.
It’s hard to be the best player on the ice when your playing with Mackinnon every night and we will see if the avs play the Canucks that Quinn will not be the best player on the ice either. Mackinnon is on another level from everyone else, and Quinn’s points lead is starting to dwindle away since the playoffs really started. Look in you rear view mirror Quinn because Cale is rightbehind you

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Surprised by the voting. 60-40 for Makar.
Hughes for me, simply put, he is the better one.
- also, he is a year younger
What does a year younger have to do with anything, it’s not like there’s 3 or 4 years difference. So Makar is going to stop developing at 21 and Hughes is all of a sudden going to be way better than him in his development from age 20 to 21? Makes no sense

Last edited:

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
There should be option saying Avs fans prefers Makar/Nucks fans prefers Hughes. This thread would already be closed for loopsided results :sarcasm:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
- Canucks fan, enjoy watching hughes offensive game (the way he plays from the back end is really his own style).
- Makar fan due to drafting and owning him In my dynasty league, love watching his powerful skating (literally looks like mackinnon out there).

But this playoffs the best young dman so far has been heiskanen.

Reactions: c2oh2o and Grantham

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
What does a year younger have to do with anything, it’s not like there’s 3 or 4 years difference. So Makar is going to stop developing at 21 and Hughes is all of a sudden going to be way better than him in his development from age 20 to 21? Makes no sense
I mean, the difference in age means a fair comparison would be Makar last year vs Hughes this year..which is much more lopsided for Hughes.

At these ages, an extra year means a significant amount of muscle development and training. Not that complicated.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
I mean, the difference in age means a fair comparison would be Makar last year vs Hughes this year..which is much more lopsided for Hughes.

At these ages, an extra year means a significant amount of muscle development and training. Not that complicated.
Not really development isn’t linear. Especially for defensemen

Every time some rattled off the age thing, they way as well be saying he’s worse but “maybe some day” he’ll be better

It’s a silly excuse, ultimately

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011

How is it? Did you see Makar step into the playoffs last year? Kid was a beast, thrown right in to a pressure situation and played just as good as him and Hughes are playing now, plus both of them are developing and training at the same rate for now and the rest of their careers. You can compare play at the same age all you want but imo Hughes is not playing any better now than Makar did a year ago

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Love how Avs fans brush off a year like it no big deal. 1 year especially early in development is huge. No one is comparing Dach to Byfield are they?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad