Makar vs Hughes

Who would you take?

• Total voters

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The Knights are a much better team than the stars? Odds on favourite to win the whole thing for a reason. Stars aren't even on the blues level if we're being honest.
Lol ok. The reason for the drastic difference in a 64% cf player and a 35% cf player is that one is playing the Stanley cup favourites? got it. I mean Dallas is outscoring Vegas in these playoffs but Vegas has better odds at winning the cup on your pro line so that makes up the difference.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Lol ok. The reason for the drastic difference in a 64% cf player and a 35% cf player is that one is playing the Stanley cup favourites? got it. I mean Dallas is outscoring Vegas in these playoffs but Vegas has better odds at winning the cup on your pro line so that makes up the difference.

Easily Vegas is a better team than stars. Not sure that's even up for Debate you can poll it I'm sure it'd be extremely lopsided. Hughes (2nd) is contributing more to the teams offence than Makar (5th) against Higher QOC. That's how I see. Same amount of points but Makar has played one less game.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Easily Vegas is a better team than stars. Not sure that's even up for Debate you can poll it I'm sure it'd be extremely lopsided. Hughes (2nd) is contributing more to the teams offence than Makar (5th) against Higher QOC. That's how I see. Same amount of points but Makar has played one less game.
Cool. Here's the beauty of the internet though. I'm able to look up stats against the Knights alone. Against Vegas this year Hughes has a CF% of 39. Makar against Vegas has a CF% of 68. That's playoffs and regular season combined.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Makar vs Vegas this year:

Cool. Here's the beauty of the internet though. I'm able to look up stats against the Knights alone. Against Vegas this year Hughes has a CF% of 39. Makar against Vegas has a CF% of 68. That's playoffs and regular season combined.

Why are you comparing regular season games to playoff games? Whole different animal. Rangers swept the Hurricanes in the season series and we saw what happened in the playoffs. We’ll see if Makar gets the chance to play Vegas depending on how the cards fall this post-season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why are you comparing regular season games to playoff games? Whole different animal. Rangers swept the Hurricanes in the season series and we saw what happened in the playoffs. We’ll see if Makar gets the chance to play Vegas depending on how the cards fall this post-season.
Why am I comparing regular season to post season? To continue on with how ridiculous all your responses are lol. After you saw those stats of their on ice impact in these playoffs I was shocked when you came back with a "quality of competition" post and it actually seemed like you were serious so I proved more. Then you came back pumping up the Blues so I used Dallas as a measure and that still wasn't good enough even though they're an absolute force.

I'm just appalled that you think quality of competition is the reason for a 35 point difference in CF percentages between two players.

If this is an all time master troll job or something you got me. I fell for it. But I legitimately think you're serious in what you're saying and I think you actually believe it lol.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
The Knights are a much better team than the stars? Odds on favourite to win the whole thing for a reason. Stars aren't even on the blues level if we're being honest. Why not address the fact the Makar is 5th on his team in scoring vs Hughes' second? One is clearly driving the bus more against MUCH MUCH higher quality Comp.
Your comparison of Dallas and Vegas aged well. The fact that the Avalanche have a bit more high end talent is the only argument you have? Not Makar or Hughes fault who they are playing with. Eye test shows who has been playing better as well. Makar was dominant all playoffs. Hughes was dominant for awhile then got hammered and exposed for some time against Vegas. The difference in offense is not huge, but Makar's defensive play is easily much better.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It’s not really about the points. Hughes controls the game in a way that I haven’t seen any other dman do these playoffs.

Canucks fans already know this, a lot of us will be swimming against the current if we decide to speak up , but its harder because Hughes plays on the Canucks and he's a easier target to go against, and a natural thing to do around here. it's just that he's plays for the Canucks so its easier for some fans here to discredit him. He does things that neither of the other 3 dmans can do. Quinn Hughes is a special player and there are some honest things I want to say, but I don't want to start a fight. These fans see it too, but refuse to to say anything because well he plays for the Canucks. this is hfboards.com for you and why I stayed away from this stupid conversation the entire time until now, lol.

Reactions: Nabrules

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Your comparison of Dallas and Vegas aged well. The fact that the Avalanche have a bit more high end talent is the only argument you have? Not Makar or Hughes fault who they are playing with. Eye test shows who has been playing better as well. Makar was dominant all playoffs. Hughes was dominant for awhile then got hammered and exposed for some time against Vegas. The difference in offense is not huge, but Makar's defensive play is easily much better.

just letting you know, Hughes played with injured knee and ankle from early on in the series against Vegas. Quinn Hughes was fine against Minnesota, and St.Louis. I don't care if you think his "defensive game is Much" better, but to say Hughes is sluggish defensively is bull shit, and a false narrative anti Hughes and Canucks and trying to sell via the Vegas series.

it's absolutely hilarious some fans are trying to sell it like Quinn Hughes is a Ed Jovanvoski in his own end and think they by say something like Makar "by a considerable margin" over Hughes will be it's reality.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
just letting you know, Hughes played with injured knee and ankle from early on in the series against Vegas. Quinn Hughes was fine against Minnesota, and St.Louis. I don't care if you think his "defensive game is Much" better, but to say Hughes is sluggish defensively is bull shit, and a false narrative anti Hughes and Canucks and trying to sell via the Vegas series.

it's absolutely hilarious some fans are trying to sell it like Quinn Hughes is a Ed Jovanvoski in his own end and think they by say something like Makar "by a considerable margin" over Hughes will be it's reality.
Injured knee and ankle? Really? Where is there proof of this? So hypocritical since the main argument Hughes fans use to say he deserves the Calder is that Makar lost games due to being injured. Now the excuse that he was playing hurt? Talk about BS! You don’t think most players had some injuries during the playoffs and still played through them. Makar was injured just prior to season starting up too. No one made excuses for his play yet the second Hughes play dips of course he must be injured. Same as Boeser . I watched almost all the Canucks games and can’t believe any one could argue Hughes was not terrible defensively for stretches . You are free to have your own opinion. My opinion is Hughes is brutal against the cycle. He has a decent stick and closed gaps well against attacking forwards but he is also overmatched physically quite often. Posters like you also claim plus minus has little meaning but it shows relatively how well one is playing on ones team. Again Makar huge plus and Hughes minus in playoffs. I actually believe eye test means the most and my eyes tell me Hughes is a poor defensive player deep in his zone when other team has the puck. Sorry if you can’t handle that opinion.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Canucks fans already know this, a lot of us will be swimming against the current if we decide to speak up , but its harder because Hughes plays on the Canucks and he's a easier target to go against, and a natural thing to do around here. it's just that he's plays for the Canucks so its easier for some fans here to discredit him. He does things that neither of the other 3 dmans can do. Quinn Hughes is a special player and there are some honest things I want to say, but I don't want to start a fight. These fans see it too, but refuse to to say anything because well he plays for the Canucks. this is hfboards.com for you and why I stayed away from this stupid conversation the entire time until now, lol.
What a shockingly insecure post.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Injured knee and ankle? Really? Where is there proof of this? So hypocritical since the main argument Hughes fans use to say he deserves the Calder is that Makar lost games due to being injured. Now the excuse that he was playing hurt? Talk about BS! You don’t think most players had some injuries during the playoffs and still played through them. Makar was injured just prior to season starting up too. No one made excuses for his play yet the second Hughes play dips of course he must be injured. Same as Boeser . I watched almost all the Canucks games and can’t believe any one could argue Hughes was not terrible defensively for stretches . You are free to have your own opinion. My opinion is Hughes is brutal against the cycle. He has a decent stick and closed gaps well against attacking forwards but he is also overmatched physically quite often. Posters like you also claim plus minus has little meaning but it shows relatively how well one is playing on ones team. Again Makar huge plus and Hughes minus in playoffs. I actually believe eye test means the most and my eyes tell me Hughes is a poor defensive player deep in his zone when other team has the puck. Sorry if you can’t handle that opinion.

Wow slow down man, you make it sound like it’s a normal thing for everyone to be injured, also I think makar should win the Calder. Most player are actually not injured, I know the Avs went through a lot and it’s tough to see.

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Both are really good and i dont think you can say AINEC.
I think Hughes controls the pace of the game better but Makar is more explosive and can break a game open with one play more so than Hughes.
Maybe one day we'll get to see both of them on one team :)

Reactions: HzH

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This is like pulling teeth--both of these kids are among my favorites right now--and it's almost too close to call. I went with Makar. Thankfully you didn't make this a 4-way dance involving Heiskanen and Dahlin--because I would have been forced to pick Heiskanen.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
When people look at the record books for rookies in 2020 in years to come it will read
Regular season 2020
Q Hughes 53 pts
C Makar 50 pts

Playoffs 2020
Q Hughes 16 pts
C Makar 15 pts
The younger Q Hughes simply outscored the older Makar all around and thats what people will remember.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
When people look at the record books in years to come it will read
Regular season 2020
Q Hughes 52 pts
C Makar 50 pts

Playoffs 2020
Q Hughes 16 pts
C Makar 15 pts
The younger Q Hughes simply outscored the older Makar all around and thats what people will remember.
I doubt anybody even knows this, alone let it be the only thing they remember lol.

yeaher

May 3, 2019

I don't buy this at all. The Sedins brothers played for the Canucks and are two of the most over lauded players of all time, sure it's a great story and they had excellent careers, but their career points per game is fairly unimpressive.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I doubt anybody even knows this, alone let it be the only thing they remember lol.
Well attached to Q Hughes top scoring achievement In the regular season is that he became one of three rookie dmen to win the rookie scoring title in the last 80 years with the other two being HHOF .
Q Hughes is top scoring rookie in the 2020 playoffs.
Makar doesn't get to claim anything but second place in the rookie scoring titles but he certainly came in a very respectable and close second I'll admit.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
A few things we need to remember, Hughes is a year younger and Makar is on a better team. Some people will reply with development is not linear. Then my reply is that might be true in some cases. But in this situation so far what we know is Hughes has been a better D from age 17 to 20.

It is definitely very close, I will go with Hughes.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
A few things we need to remember, Hughes is a year younger and Makar is on a better team. Some people will reply with development is not linear. Then my reply is that might be true in some cases. But in this situation so far what we know is Hughes has been a better D from age 17 to 20.

It is definitely very close, I will go with Hughes.

Fresh insight. I don't think this point has been made up until this point.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
What surprised me in these playoffs is how good and physical Makar was defensively while also providing offense. He made couple mistakes most of them bobbling the puck but pretty exceptional for a rookie to play 25-26min per night.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hughes is a year younger and Makar is on a better team.

Are we so sure about that? I think the Canucks are an excellent team who seemed to get better and better as things progressed. Both teams are built fairly similarly--and while the Avs are probably deeper--I prefer the Canucks goaltending by a large margin.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Fresh insight. I don't think this point has been made up until this point.
Everythings been rehashed to this point except what's happened lately and that's that Hughes out pointed Makar once again in the playoffs rookie scoring race.
Season is over just talk left to do now .

Baron

Aug 23, 2007
Well attached to Q Hughes top scoring achievement In the regular season is that he became one of three rookie dmen to win the rookie scoring title in the last 80 years with the other two being HHOF .
Q Hughes is top scoring rookie in the 2020 playoffs.
Makar doesn't get to claim anything but second place in the rookie scoring titles but he certainly came in a very respectable and close second I'll admit.

Well thats just not true. Hughes is currently leading the scoring race, but he hasn’t won. Gurianov is still around and has at least 3 more games to get one point to tie / two to win.

Admittedly, Gurianov will take more games to get there (if he does) - but that also favours an argument for Makar over Hughes... I also think the stats are all inflated this year with the play-in round being used, but thats a separate issue. Both are excellent / remarkably equal players that bring a slight different edge.

Hughes playoff stat line:
- 16 pts in 17 GP (6 pts in 4 play-in games, 4 pts against STL in 6 GP, 6 pts against LVK in 7 GP).

Makar stat line:
- 15 pts in 15 GP (1 pt in 3 round robin games, 6 pts against ARI in 5 GP, 8 pts against DAL in 7 GP).

Gurianov stat line:
- 15 pts in 20 GP (0 pt in 3 round robin games, 7 pts against CGY in 6 GP, 8 pts against COL in 7 GP, 0 pt against LVK in 4 games so far)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad