Makar vs Hughes

Who would you take?

• Total voters

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Well thats just not true. Hughes is currently leading the scoring race, but he hasn’t won. Gurianov is still around and has at least 3 more games to get one point to tie / two to win.

Admittedly, Gurianov will take more games to get there (if he does) - but that also favours an argument for Makar over Hughes... I also think the stats are all inflated this year with the play-in round being used, but thats a separate issue. Both are excellent / remarkably equal players that bring a slight different edge.

Hughes playoff stat line:
- 16 pts in 17 GP (6 pts in 4 play-in games, 4 pts against STL in 6 GP, 6 pts against LVK in 7 GP).

Makar stat line:
- 15 pts in 15 GP (1 pt in 3 round robin games, 6 pts against ARI in 5 GP, 8 pts against DAL in 7 GP).

Gurianov stat line:
- 15 pts in 20 GP (0 pt in 3 round robin games, 7 pts against CGY in 6 GP, 8 pts against COL in 7 GP, 0 pt against LVK in 4 games so far)
Makar still wins nothing then absolutely zero which is nt point since this is the Makar vs Hughes post.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Makar still wins nothing then absolutely zero which is nt point since this is the Makar vs Hughes post.
Still has a very good shot at winning the Calder and if he does, does Hughes couple of point lead in 11 less games really matter since it was 2 d men that led the scoring race this year, not just 1.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Still has a very good shot at winning the Calder and if he does, does Hughes couple of point lead in 11 less games really matter since it was 2 d men that led the scoring race this year, not just 1.
History books will say Q Hughes was the scoring leader for rookies and second place finishers are rarely remembered unless you got an instance where the second place finisher is also recognized when remembering a scoring champion.
Perhaps you think it should have a asterisk by it to remember that Makar lost.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
History books will say Q Hughes was the scoring leader for rookies and second place finishers are rarely remembered unless you got an instance where the second place finisher is also recognized when remembering a scoring champion.
Perhaps you think it should have a asterisk by it to remember that Makar lost.
You know what else history books will tell you? That when you look up all time rookie scoring leaders you will have to scroll all the way down to # 14 to find Quinn Hughes and #17 to find Makar. You look up points per game for a rookie d man and there is a really big difference in Makars favour. So, unless Hughes wins the Calder his rookie numbers will be insignificant 10 years from now as Makars season was just as impressive. Who ever wins the Calder will be remembered which d man had the best season in 2020. Although I think they should split the trophy because each of their seasons were equally impressive

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
You know what else history books will tell you? That when you look up all time rookie scoring leaders you will have to scroll all the way down to # 14 to find Quinn Hughes and #17 to find Makar. You look up points per game for a rookie d man and there is a really big difference in Makars favour. So, unless Hughes wins the Calder his rookie numbers will be insignificant 10 years from now as Makars season was just as impressive. Who ever wins the Calder will be remembered which d man had the best season in 2020. Although I think they should split the trophy because each of their seasons were equally impressive
Well if we could get a split then that would be fair since they are equally impressive but there can be only one .
Whoever wins it, congrats but it will not stop comparisons starting up again around their point totals and contributions next year and years after .
They're both amazing but I'd rather have the one who's a year younger and wins rookie scoring titles .
We could plug a big hole on our rhd with a Makar .

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Well if we could get a split then that would be fair since they are equally impressive but there can be only one .
Whoever wins it, congrats but it will not stop comparisons starting up again around their point totals and contributions next year and years after .
They're both amazing but I'd rather have the one who's a year younger and wins rookie scoring titles .
We could plug a big hole on our rhd with a Makar .
I’d like to have Hughes as well but I think Byram or Girard will fill in just fine and I’d rather have the player with a better ppg, better goal scorer and better player at even strength. I don’t think being a year younger or older is ever going to be a factor throughout these players careers. It would be different if Makar was 25 and Hughes was 20

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I think age does make a difference when you're 20 years old vs 21 .
A better comparison would be Dahlin and Hughes at 20 because Makar was NCAA at that time
Perhaps next year would be the year to judge against Makars 21 year old season.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I think age does make a difference when you're 20 years old vs 21 .
A better comparison would be Dahlin and Hughes at 20 because Makar was NCAA at that time
Perhaps next year would be the year to judge against Makars 21 year old season.
Did you see Makar when he stepped into game 3 of a pivotal game against Calgary at 20 years old and play like a veteran dman? He scored 6 points in 10 games in the playoffs, I have no doubt Makar comes into the league as a 20 year old and scores 50 + points, but we will never know.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Did you see Makar when he stepped into game 3 of a pivotal game against Calgary at 20 years old and play like a veteran dman? He scored 6 points in 10 games in the playoffs, I have no doubt Makar comes into the league as a 20 year old and scores 50 + points, but we will never know.
Did you see Quinn Hughes when he stepped up in the world hockey championships at age 19 for the usa against stacked national teams. His transition was seamless from college kid to third pairing on team usa and from there I knew he was destined for greatness.
Where was Makar at this time was he still playing JR b Cold lake ice in alberta.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Did you see Quinn Hughes when he stepped up in the world hockey championships at age 19 for the usa against stacked national teams. His transition was seamless from college kid to third pairing on team usa and from there I knew he was destined for greatness.
Where was Makar at this time was he still playing JR b Cold lake ice in alberta.
You just went backwards. NHL playoffs >> Playoff Reject Cup

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
You just went backwards. NHL playoffs >> Playoff Reject Cup
I think national teams are better then club teams and the point was to say Quinn Hughes played against NHL players at age 19 which is better then Makars entrance at age 20.

15 nhl teams fail to make the playoffs and those teams still have great players who contribute to the WHC and none have salary caps.

I say team Canada or Sweden at the WHC beats any club team in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad