GDT: Magnus Paajarvi vs the Carolina Hurricanes, Tues 7:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How exactly are we supposed to trade Anderson when he’s got a 2-year extension kicking in? This has been discussed to death; he’s here to stay.

Yeah, there’s no market for Anderson. He’ll be the starter opening night next season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am not officially worried about goaltending. I am confident Condon will come back strong next year and he and Anderson can be 1a/1b

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I am not officially worried about goaltending. I am confident Condon will come back strong next year and he and Anderson can be 1a/1b

I’m not optimistic about Condon, although he shouldn’t be this bad again next year. I wonder how much of Amderson’s struggles have to do with age. I wouldn’t be shocked if Andy is better next year, but still below average. We’ll see, but I’m not thrilled with the fact we have these two guys for the next 2.5 years especially considering how much money they will be making. That Condon deal was awful. 3 million in year 3 for a backup?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
As far as I know Melnyk is a real person, and has stated many times he has no intentions of selling the team.

So, not just you, but everyone who is hoping that somehow some way he sells, will be much better off to stop obsessing about the owner, and put it on the back burner and focus on what is more likley to happen . . . . . . . . . Coach, GM, New Arena and other things.

And, if some day he sells, he sells, and most likley to his Daughter ........ and then people can start complaining about her at that time, for what it's worth.

I'm willing to bet my life the league will veto Melnyk passing ownership to his daughter.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In watching last night's game, I will admit to a slight bit of panic that Colin White might be as offensively challenged as Curtis Lazar. I sure hope that I am wrong...

Have you watched him when he had a chance to play up the lineup? I don't think you need to worry

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We didn't play this one too badly. We probably deserved a point at least. Three guys I want to highlight:

- Didomenico was very visible. I think he's going to get the most opportunities to prove himself the rest of this season under Boucher. More than White or Chlapik, for better or for worse.

- Brassard had a few good shifts. More than usual.

- I actually noticed Burrows a couple of times!

Dido is 28 .. kinda peaked.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Paying a veteran ~$200k to play in the AHL is standard operating procedure.

It's not a "retirement" contract, it's just a standard minor league deal. The AHL is full of them.

Who you referring to? Edit: I must have quoted the wrong post .. I was referring to the Anderson extension. not sure why at this point

Reactions: BonkTastic

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I'm willing to bet my life the league will veto Melnyk passing ownership to his daughter.

Then you would lose, as Melnyk can sell his team, to anyone, for whatever price they agree on. The NHL would have no problem with it as long as the sale price is within the realm on a fair market value of this Franchise, in this market.

He has Stated that "if" he were to ever entertain selling his team, his daughter had already let him know she's interested.

So I would not advise you make that particular bet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Then you would lose, as Melnyk can sell his team, to anyone, for whatever price they agree on. The NHL would have no problem with it as long as the sale price is within the realm on a fair market value of this Franchise, in this market.

He has Stated that "if" he were to ever entertain selling his team, his daughter had already let him know she's interested.

So I would not advise you make that particular bet.

The NHL board of governors need to approve a transfer of ownership, it's part of the leagues by-laws. I'm not sure why they wouldn't approve a transfer to Melnyk's daughter but the rights of sports leagues to determine who will be allowed to own a franchise has been challenged and upheld in courts in the past, so yes, they probably could block it if they wanted to.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The NHL board of governors need to approve a transfer of ownership, it's part of the leagues by-laws. I'm not sure why they wouldn't approve a transfer to Melnyk's daughter but the rights of sports leagues to determine who will be allowed to own a franchise has been challenged and upheld in courts in the past, so yes, they probably could block it if they wanted to.

Not "if they wanted to" but rather if there was a solid reason for doing so.

And being the Daughter of Eugene is not a reason, as far as I know.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
They will look into if she has the assets to support and maintain a competitive nhl team. It would be in the nhls interested to sell the team to the most suitable owner and transfer the sale proceeds to his daughter/estate

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not "if they wanted to" but rather if there was a solid reason for doing so.

And being the Daughter of Eugene is not a reason, as far as I know.

No, they could block it for whatever reason they want, it comes down to a vote. The decision could always be challenged in court, but they could block it.

For example, if I were to come to an agreement to buy the Sens from Eugene for the loose change in my couch, the BOG would rightly block the transfer of ownership. Not because there is anything wrong with me, but because I am not a suitable owner to maximize profitability for the league. I'm not sure, for example, if Melnyk's daughter has the required financials to effective be an NHL team owner (might be different in a situation where she were to inherit Melnyk's total fortune).

I for one wouldn't be against Melnyk's daughter owning the team, I have no reason to be against it as I know nothing about her. I assume if the BOG approved the transfer, she'd be a viable option and go from there; it worked extremely well for the Hawks when Wirtz passed them on to his son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad