GDT: Magnus Paajarvi vs the Carolina Hurricanes, Tues 7:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That doesn't mean this particular injury will be the same. They are two different things. You are just using past results to project the future, when they are not even related. Lots of players have injuries that slow them down, and he's almost 30 now.

Nobody can say he will or won't be back to his 2016-2017 self at this point. If you sign him in the offseason, it's a big gamble. If you just think everything will be OK, you are looking at this issue through rose coloured glasses and a bias for Karlsson. He's human.
Yes, I am the one who approaches this hockey team with rose coloured glasses.

Reactions: Chezzz

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, I am the one who approaches this hockey team with rose coloured glasses.
You literally are right now on this topic. We're not talking about anything else. If you just ignore Karlsson's season and assume he will be back to his old self, that is called gambling. He could be this same player for the rest of his career.

You can't call out other people for being optimists and then balk when somebody says the same about you on this topic.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You literally are right now on this topic. We're not talking about anything else. If you just ignore Karlsson's season and assume he will be back to his old self, that is called gambling. He could be this same player for the rest of his career.

You can't call out other people for being optimists and then balk when somebody says the same about you on this topic.
Everything in sports is some form of a gamble. I'll take my chances with Erik Karlsson who's the best player who will ever suit up in a Sens jersey.

You wanna gamble on Pierre Dorion so let's leave it at that. I feel very comfortable with my takes and opinions.

Reactions: Chezzz

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Everything in sports is some form of a gamble. I'll take my chances with Erik Karlsson who's the best player who will ever suit up in a Sens jersey.

You wanna gamble on Pierre Dorion so let's leave it at that. I feel very comfortable with my takes and opinions.

I wanna gamble on Pierre? No, I want to give him another year to show his worth. He's 1-1 so far. The third season will show how he adapts.

"Everything in sports is some form of a gamble. I'll take my chances with Erik Karlsson who's the best player who will ever suit up in a Sens jersey."

You're just completely ignoring his injury and you just assume all will be well again. I really hope it will, but there's a chance it won't. I'm not arguing his merits as a player when fully healthy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wanna gamble on Pierre? No, I want to give him another year to show his worth. He's 1-1 so far. The third season will show how he adapts.

"Everything in sports is some form of a gamble. I'll take my chances with Erik Karlsson who's the best player who will ever suit up in a Sens jersey."

You're just completely ignoring his injury and you just assume all will be well again. I really hope it will, but there's a chance it won't. I'm not arguing his merits as a player when fully healthy.

He's been god damn terrible and has no idea what he is doing. He isnt 1-1 lol that team was built a long time before he came along. All he did was give away assets for bad players on the decline then over pay them. His performance last season is why the team is in such terrible shape moving forward. That was not a one off. Its a culmination of horrible move after horrible move.

Every single transaction he has made he has come out on the losing side of it from a value perspective. Every single one. Even the Condon deal has now backfired because he massively overpaid a backup goalie.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He's been god damn terrible and has no idea what he is doing. He isnt 1-1 lol that team was built a long time before he came along. All he did was give away assets for bad players on the decline then over pay them. His performance last season is why the team is in such terrible shape moving forward. That was not a one off. Its a culmination of horrible move after horrible move.

Every single transaction he has made he has come out on the losing side of it from a value perspective. Every single one. Even the Condon deal has now backfired because he massively overpaid a backup goalie.
1-1 is a weird way to describe Dorion's record. Its more like 4-15 for moves (just an approximation). He's lost basically every deal he's made including contract extensions and hirings.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
1-1 is a weird way to describe Dorion's record. Its more like 4-15 for moves (just an approximation). He's lost basically every deal he's made including contract extensions and hirings.
If you look at it the way you look at it, sure. But being a GM is not all about "winning and losing" trades. You should absolutely give Dorion a ton of credit for making the ECF. His moves, especially coaching, propelled the team. Now, this season has been bad. So yes, he's 1-1. Debating and nitpicking every move a GM makes is dumb, and a lot of great sports GMs say you don't want to rip teams off and always "win" trades, as that means future trades will be unlikely. Not every move has a "winner" or "loser".

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
That doesn't mean this particular injury will be the same. They are two different things. You are just using past results to project the future, when they are not even related. Lots of players have injuries that slow them down, and he's almost 30 now.

Nobody can say he will or won't be back to his 2016-2017 self at this point. If you sign him in the offseason, it's a big gamble. If you just think everything will be OK, you are looking at this issue through rose coloured glasses and a bias for Karlsson. He's human.
I share your point of view, thats what ive been saying all along, its a huge gamble to signed a player to a huge contract without knowing for sure that he's foot will ever be 100% again, and hes getting older too, 8 years is a long time, when you signed player to max contract you signed that player for what you think is gonna do in the future, not what he has done in the past, if you have any doubts about him moving forward its better to trade him and move on. The problem with Karlsson is that hes wants to get paid like an elite player in this league thats all fine but right now and for the future is he gonna be that same elite player we saw the last 4-5 seasons? I doubt it very much so for a franchise that counts every penny its to much of a gamble to signed Karlsson to a mega contract, especially with the way he has played this season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If you look at it the way you look at it, sure. But being a GM is not all about "winning and losing" trades. You should absolutely give Dorion a ton of credit for making the ECF. His moves, especially coaching, propelled the team. Now, this season has been bad. So yes, he's 1-1. Debating and nitpicking every move a GM makes is dumb, and a lot of great sports GMs say you don't want to rip teams off and always "win" trades, as that means future trades will be unlikely. Not every move has a "winner" or "loser".
Why is nitpicking every move a GM makes dumb? What else are we to judge them on?

Its like saying not to judge a player by his on ice performance.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This is what I was trying to get across in my other post. Shouldn't Karlsson be given the same opportunity to learn from the mistakes he has made this season??

Yes and I did reply in the other thread, but the decision on Dorion is only whether or not to fire him, he's not up for an 8 year 10-13 mil per year deal.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Why is nitpicking every move a GM makes dumb? What else are we to judge them on?

Its like saying not to judge a player by his on ice performance.

Because if such a minor move like claiming Dumont is considered "bad", then that adds to his loss record and artificially inflates that number.

and then other moves are subjective. Such as Mika for Brassard. I consider that a 100% win, but others don't.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If y'all want to discuss Pierre Dorion's record as a GM, the risks in re-signing Karlsson, or David Poile's reputation as a GM around the league, there are some wonderful threads in the forum begging for some traffic on those very topics, but this thread is where people come to discuss the game against Carolina.

So, in light of the above, please keep the discussion relevant to the game the other night...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That second goal was a very weak goal for Anderson to let in that basically cost the team the game regardless that it was on the PP. That is when they needed him to make a big save, while Anderson played well for most of the game that one goal decided the game. And that has been the problem all yr either with Anderson or Condon, the goaltending has been horrific & has cost this team numerous games. The rest of the team sucks too but they are never going to be better without solid goaltending & neither of these two guys look like NHL goalies this yr. Ottawa should look to move Anderson asap & sign Cam Ward for next yr, he's younger, he can handle the puck, is pretty good against wrap arounds, is big & takes up a lot of net, should be cheaper this off season & he's won a cup before. Time to move on from Anderson IMO.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
That second goal was a very weak goal for Anderson to let in that basically cost the team the game regardless that it was on the PP. That is when they needed him to make a big save, while Anderson played well for most of the game that one goal decided the game. And that has been the problem all yr either with Anderson or Condon, the goaltending has been horrific & has cost this team numerous games. The rest of the team sucks too but they are never going to be better without solid goaltending & neither of these two guys look like NHL goalies this yr. Ottawa should look to move Anderson asap & sign Cam Ward for next yr, he's younger, he can handle the puck, is pretty good against wrap arounds, is big & takes up a lot of net, should be cheaper this off season & he's won a cup before. Time to move on from Anderson IMO.
What a way of deflating the team when the guys are so fragile confidence wise
Hes been atrocious since october

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Anderson has had quite a few bad games this year and in general not been very good as evidenced by his record (Save Percentage .903) However against Carolina he let in two goals on 39 shots and the Senators could only score one goal on 30 shots. It is the offense of the team that failed against Carolina, not Anderson , although one of those goals he should have saved.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Cam Ward isn't really the solution. He's above-ish average but not more than that, and has a big contract too right?
I guess we can try and go with Bishop again, maybe Dallas isn't too happy there. There are some stopgaps available but yes, ANderson rounding into form at some point would be nice, at least going into next year.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
How exactly are we supposed to trade Anderson when he’s got a 2-year extension kicking in? This has been discussed to death; he’s here to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad