GDT: Magnus Paajarvi vs the Carolina Hurricanes, Tues 7:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
What if it's a really, really bad season, and the coach shows no signs of adapting whatsoever?

I'll be OK with keeping Dorion around even though I'm not a fan, but I have to imagine Boucher is gone.
I see more arguments to fire Boucher than Dorion, for sure, but I think Dorion especially deserves to stay.

Look at David Poile in Nashville, the guy survived everything...

Personally I think Boucher will stick around as well, for the start of next season at least.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
There's probably still a chance Boucher can save his job this year, but it's going to take something really special, IMO.

He looks like he's lost the ear of the players. Even if he were the best coach in the league, if you lose the room, you're done.
There's probably still a chance Boucher can save his job this year, but it's going to take something really special, IMO.

He looks like he's lost the ear of the players. Even if he were the best coach in the league, if you lose the room, you're done.
That speaks volumes about the players moreso the coach. And it speaks volumes about the "captain"

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa
I see more arguments to fire Boucher than Dorion, for sure, but I think Dorion especially deserves to stay.

Look at David Poile in Nashville, the guy survived everything...

Personally I think Boucher will stick around as well, for the start of next season at least.
nashville missed the playoffs 3 times since o3' and has never been a loser like we are now

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
nashville missed the playoffs 3 times since o3' and has never been a loser like we are now

They have finished at the bottom or near it on a few occasions. My point is, you don't fire a guy after one bad season. Dorion has missed the playoffs once and made the ECF the other.

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa
They have finished at the bottom or near it on a few occasions. My point is, you don't fire a guy after one bad season. Dorion has missed the playoffs once and made the ECF the other.
i mean i guess if 10th last in the league is bottom or close to the bottom you have a point. they did get 4th opick in the lockout year

im not saying anything about dorion, im just saying using poille as a comparable is kind of stupid lol

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
That speaks volumes about the players moreso the coach. And it speaks volumes about the "captain"
Yea, the thing is, with this coaching carousel we've had, we have basically experienced a full roster turnover since it began. There's no way, IMO, that it is always on the players. Maybe we have just been making poor coaching choices. I don't think just the players are to blame.

It's a grinding system to play. When the return is loss after loss, it would wear on anyone.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
i mean i guess if 10th last in the league is bottom or close to the bottom you have a point. they did get 4th opick in the lockout year

im not saying anything about dorion, im just saying using poille as a comparable is kind of stupid lol

No, it's not. It's very relevant. What did Nashville do before this past season? They always lost in the first or second round every year if they made the playoffs.

A GM doesn't last that long even if he's winning. Poile has survived everything in Nashville. They finally realized they should fire their coach though.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
David Poile has been a fantastic GM for Nashville for their entire existence. Any trouble Nashville has had as a franchise are far more budget-related than they are management related. He's done more for less than almost any GM in the league over the last two decades. Dude is a master at getting every ounce of blood from the stones he's given.

Why are we talking about Poile?

Reactions: branch and slamigo

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
David Poile has over 20 years experience managing a professional hockey organization. Pierre Dorion has one. There is no comparison to be made.
You have to start somewhere. [MOD] Poile survived his first four-five years when they stunk.

Last edited by a moderator:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
David Poile has been a fantastic GM for Nashville for their entire existence. Any trouble Nashville has had as a franchise are far more budget-related than they are management related. He's done more for less than almost any GM in the league over the last two decades. Dude is a master at getting every ounce of blood from the stones he's given.

Why are we talking about Poile?

Hmmm now how does that relate to Dorion. Hmmm I wonder.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Dorion will get at least one more chance to learn from his mistakes imo. He got good results in his first year, and hopefully he can see some of the mistakes we can see and try to correct them and/or do better next time.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well Dorion dug this hole himself. The underperforming bottom 6 is all him. He signed both underperforming goalies. He traded away the team's top center for another who has severely underperformed. The results of this year are largely to do with Dorion's guys and he's been given the freedom to make the moves he wants.

Poile has never really done that in all his years.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Boucher isn't going anywhere

Lots of coaches have survived much much worse and have come out of it and regain the players 'ears' if that is case (which i don't agree with)

I rmr when ppl were calling for Paul Maurice's head in winnipeg and now look at him.

Boucher and Dorion making it to the ECF give them a bit of rope

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dorion will get at least one more chance to learn from his mistakes imo. He got good results in his first year, and hopefully he can see some of the mistakes we can see and try to correct them and/or do better next time.

This is what I was trying to get across in my other post. Shouldn't Karlsson be given the same opportunity to learn from the mistakes he has made this season??

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So did Karlsson, where is his rope?

When people criticize Karlsson, like me, they aren't saying it's his fault. People are questioning whether he will truly return to form after his surgery. You can't just assume everything will be back to normal.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
When people criticize Karlsson, like me, they aren't saying it's his fault. People are questioning whether he will truly return to form after his surgery. You can't just assume everything will be back to normal.
If only Karlsson had ever had a major operation and recovered from it to come back into Norris trophy form a year later then maybe we'd have an idea.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

"Tonight on 'News You Already Knew If You Were Paying Any Attention Whatsoever' - Scientists have discovered that the majority of NHL General Managers are not as good as David Poile, one of the top-3 NHL General Managers of the past two decades. This, and more late-breaking news, coming your way following these commercials".

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If only Karlsson had ever had a major operation and recovered from it to come back into Norris trophy form a year later then maybe we'd have an idea.
That doesn't mean this particular injury will be the same. They are two different things. You are just using past results to project the future, when they are not even related. Lots of players have injuries that slow them down, and he's almost 30 now.

Nobody can say he will or won't be back to his 2016-2017 self at this point. If you sign him in the offseason, it's a big gamble. If you just think everything will be OK, you are looking at this issue through rose coloured glasses and a bias for Karlsson. He's human.

Reactions: albator71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->