Maclean back as host

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's what we're talking about. People on the first page of this thread commenting on Strombolopolous' choice of clothes as if it reflects poorly on him.

People should be able to wear whatever they want without judgment. Of course in Alberta, Real Men don't care about clothes.

I never stated ANYTHING about STrombos clothes until AFTER a bunch of people started browbeating the one poster in the thread that mentioned something about his pointy shoes.

Ridiculous that people would get bent out of shape over something so meaningless anyway.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You replying for the sake of replying these days?

I said its wrong to attack him for the way he dresses, because there is nothing wrong with the way he dresses. Read my post again.

and to answer your question, yes, every morning before I head out the door. How about you?

EDIT: Its also interesting how in the same post you quote me and are arguing against my point which defends Strombo because people are mostly judging him by the way he dresses.

Then, you quote someone else and basically say to "hit you over the head when you start judging people by how they dress"...

So, really, what is your point?

This isn't complicated. In the same post that you stated people should "look in the mirror" over one posters (not me) snide comments about Strombos attire you had no difficulty making a snide comment about those posts. i.e., " that they should look in the mirror" So specious judgement being apparently OK with you you nonetheless.

hey maybe I got your post wrong. Maybe you're not using that vernacular phrase to connote what the whole world means when they state that. Maybe you just mean they should look in the mirror and count designer label tags..:sarcasm:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The argument is that Strombo had his faults but he is hardly the reason HNIC sucks as bad as it does.

Agreed one person cannot be responsible for the entirety of the current HNIC suckage.

They will need to change many people and things for it to be good again. Dumping Strombo is a good step in that direction.

Maybe he can get another six week stint on CNN.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Agreed one person cannot be responsible for the entirety of the current HNIC suckage.

They will need to change many people and things for it to be good again. Dumping Strombo is a good step in that direction.

Maybe he can get another six week stint on CNN.

Is getting your own show on one of the biggest world networks somehow a low point? Even if it didn't pan out?

Yeesh.

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This isn't complicated. In the same post that you stated people should "look in the mirror" over one posters (not me) snide comments about Strombos attire you had no difficulty making a snide comment about those posts. i.e., " that they should look in the mirror" So specious judgement being apparently OK with you you nonetheless.

hey maybe I got your post wrong. Maybe you're not using that vernacular phrase to connote what the whole world means when they state that. Maybe you just mean they should look in the mirror and count designer label tags..:sarcasm:

I didn't make a "snide" comment. I actually meant it and directed it at those making fun of him based on his style of clothing. That's very obvious in my post. What you're trying to make out of it is unknown even to you.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't make a "snide" comment. I actually meant it and directed it at those making fun of him based on his style of clothing. That's very obvious in my post. What you're trying to make out of it is unknown even to you.

You stated, exactly, just to be clear;

"People making fun of Strombo for the way he dresses should take a long hard look in the mirror...''

(ellipses, as used by you, included intact)

This is you judging the posters that made comments, ironically in the same post in which you say people shouldn't judge.

My own take being that nobody was judging, people said a couple flippant things and no need for them to circumspect further on it. i.e. there was nothing, nothing at all, wrong with the initial comments.

I doubt you get it this time either.

Last edited:

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You stated, exactly, just to be clear;

"People making fun of Strombo for the way he dresses should take a long hard look in the mirror...''

This is you judging the posters that made comments, ironically in the same post in which you say people shouldn't.

My own take being that nobody was judging, people said a couple flippant things and no need for them to circumspect further on it. i.e. there was nothing, nothing at all, wrong with the initial comments.

I doubt you get it this time either.

replacement, you're the one who doesn't get it. I wasn't judging anyone as I didn't make a comment about the way they dressed. I stated they should look in the mirror before passing judgement on someone else.

and yes, people were judging, but you're once again making things fit your agenda. Enjoy, I am done with this discussion.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Is getting your own show on one of the biggest world networks somehow a low point? Even if it didn't pan out?

Yeesh.

This is two pretty big "not panning outs" now for Strombo. Media is a cut throat business.

He has options of course. I would guess a return to CBC is probably easiest. Not sure what terms he left on.

Aren't there more TSN and Sportsnet channels coming? They have to fill it with a variety of content. Why have 10 ten channels if you are going to show the same thing on all ten of them?

Don't see him getting anything as big as CNN or the Sportsnet gig again. Wouldn't dong his old CBC show again kind of be a step back?

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
A step in the right direction! Maybe HNIC can regain some of its mystique. It use to be an institution of hockey, a show with history and reverence for the game that made you feel a part of something. I was really sad when they made sweeping changes. The thought that kids wouldn't experience what I did growing up was so depressing. It turned into just another soulless sports channel. Very happy to see Ron back. Hopefully that's only the beginning.

Well said

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I mean...

MacLean > Strombo.... but who really listens to these guys talk anyway?

The intermission and talking heads isn't what hockey is about, and isn't why people don't like Sportsnet. They just have **** broadcasts.

They have **** broadcasts in part because they have such poor talking heads. I mean look at this:

Studio Analysts
Don Cherry: 2014–present
Damien Cox: 2011–present
Elliotte Friedman: 2014–present
Glenn Healy: 2014–present
Kelly Hrudey: 2014–present
Billy Jaffe: 2014–present
Mike Johnson: 2014–present
Chris Johnston: 2014–present
Nick Kypreos: 1998–present
Doug MacLean: 2009–present
Scott Morrison: 2014–present
Darren Pang: 2014–present
John Shannon: 2014–present
Mark Spector: 2014–present
P. J. Stock: 2014–present
Colby Armstrong: 2014-present
Louie DeBrusk: 2014-present

Outside of Friedman, is there anyone there worth listening to?

Last edited:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
They have **** broadcasts in part because they have such poor talking heads. I mean look at this:

Studio Analysts

Scott Morrison, Louis DeBrusk, and Darren Pang.

Other than that...yikes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Studio Analysts

you win. haha.

The true degree of suck in that lineup isn't fully felt and understood until one see's the list in entirety.

Under the subheading of which of the above has annoyed the **** out of me with color commentary inanity I think all but one gets checked off. Even Friedman offbase sometimes.

Seems like the list selects for loud empty barrels. I should apply. :D

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Studio Analysts

They all suck and I include Friedman in that list.

Bob Mackenzie is just the gold standard and it seems like CBC almost likes these sort of odd non insider anyalists that just go on about their career and make jokes about how they use to suck when they played. PJ Stock was always so weird, he just sort of joked about how bad he was and didn't add much. Any way, it is like they don't even try to get a Bob Mackenzie type, let alone the real guy.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
They also have **** quality, and lots of technical difficulties.

They area pretty **** product tbh.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

Studio Analysts

I think it's an absolute travesty that Cox and Kypreos have been employed that long.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He's off the broadcasts but still employed by Sportsnet. They moved him to Primetime Sports to be Bob McCown's cohost.

Eesh. Cox and McCown together? Double reason not to listen/watch that tripe.

Too bad about P.J. Stock. I think he did ok.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sports broadcast personalities is such a crapshoot. Networks will typically try a lot of individuals to see what sticks to the wall but really this is defined by random reaction of the public which is mostly unpredictable. Theres no real way of knowing who will be popular with the public. Even an Elliot Friedman in a different time and place would be unliked. But he's liked now because he represents one of the few intelligent broadcasters.

The crap shoot is made worse through the social media universe that inevitably spins negative diatribe on every sporting commentator. Which media, networks pay attention to.

The reality is Howard Cosell would have been weeded out, reviled, and hated, in a social media universe where everybody gets carved and those that stand out get sliced and diced even more.

Its not really that commentating has gotten worse. Its that online reaction is to hate things. To revile personalities. Its social media hate conditioning and negativity. What people are really popular on the internet? People like Kim Kardashian and Kanye West that shouldn't be. A disrespectful, derisive online milieu ends up selecting for the same. Only aholes need apply to be popular in this social media judged day and age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad