Maclean back as host

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
i'm still trying to figure out why Stromboobelisk was on hockey broadcast? Or remember one thing he ever said on a broadcast.

lol at broadcasters thinking this guy was going to result in more ratings. Does anybody really watch for the broadcast personalities? I'm just there for the games. Bozo the clown could be doing the broadcasts. Most of the time seems like it.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I like Millard and Maclean as host a lot better than Millard and Strombo, although Strombo wasn't terrible he just dosent work for sports.

Now sportsnet needs to add to there panel Freidman and Kyper are obviously staying, maybe they can bring over a couple TSN guys.

Also I miss Mark Lee, I grew up at a time when to me he was the voice of the oilers.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I'm sure I'm not the only person ecstatic over this news. Strombolololpoulous was horrendous. The hipster ********* crowd was probably the only group of people who like him, and they aren't the people that watch hockey. Must have been hard for him to sit behind that desk for hours at a time in those painted on pants.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
A step in the right direction! Maybe HNIC can regain some of its mystique. It use to be an institution of hockey, a show with history and reverence for the game that made you feel a part of something. I was really sad when they made sweeping changes. The thought that kids wouldn't experience what I did growing up was so depressing. It turned into just another soulless sports channel. Very happy to see Ron back. Hopefully that's only the beginning.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Thank goodness. Hopefully this is the start of Rogers realizing that all their ideas are crap.

Now if they can only smarten up and get rid of local blackouts for game centre. I'd prefer to support the NHL, but I am not going to pay for a service where I can't watch my home team play.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
About ****ing time.

“If the Leafs won the Cup this year, would the focus be on George?” wondered one insider.

Yeah cause the Leafs winning the Cup makes up for such a poor production... Only in Toronto :laugh:

Fairy McGodfather

Liquored & Cynical
Feb 5, 2016
Rural Saskatchewan
I really hope Ron got to look at George's scowling face while he was spooling his rags and said "Don't leave mad, just ****ing leave."

Can't stand that guy. Best Fathers Day gift ever.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
lol its nice having Ron back but you guys taking shots at Strombo, as well as other groups of people are morons

At the end of the day SportsNet and their coverage is terribad, top to bottom, MacLean in the chair isn't going to make a huge difference.

Poor NHL on ice product, poor coverage, don't really care about the personalities or commentators involved all that much. But yes i do agree Strombo out is for the better, he just isn't suited in that role.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Thank goodness. Hopefully this is the start of Rogers realizing that all their ideas are crap.

Now if they can only smarten up and get rid of local blackouts for game centre. I'd prefer to support the NHL, but I am not going to pay for a service where I can't watch my home team play.

Blackouts arnt Sportsnets call. The NHL has these to protect the regional networks.

Example/ I live in Manitoba so before tsn brought the 3 extra channels, they had Tsn Jets which was 10$ for the season and if I bought NHL Centre ice and it didn't have blackouts than the regional network is loses money.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah!!! Take your skinny jeans and get out of here Strombo. Not too fast though, or the crotch will rip.:yo:

That's kinda the point. They brought Strombo in to attract the hipsters and guess what ... they don't care about sports.

The Rogers/Sportsnet/CBC consortium forgot the most important thing ... cater to the core sports fan. Trying to expand the audience only alienated the regulars.

While they are at it let's get rid of that social media reporter. If I want to read tweets about the games, I'll read them myself. Having on air announcers reading tweets has gots to go.

DreamTheatre

Jul 7, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
I don’t know what you all are talking about. I thought George did a great job. I am a big fan of Ron as well. But I thought George was really great in that position and I’m sure we will see him again in hockey soon.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
I thought he was pretty bad too, and I'm apart of the demographic they were trying to target apparently. I remember thinking, "Why's that MuchMusic guy doing hockey now?" The fit never seemed right.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Was hard to watch early on. But as time went on I got used to him and maybe even would have someday liked him.

Strange to give up on him now after the pain.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I had no issue with strombo after about the 1st month. Get better coomentators, get better analysts.,

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
THANK GOD! Strombo is such a smug little d-bag. I couldn't stand to watch him. On top of his grating persona, he also never even pretended to learn anything. He can go back to fluffing Trudeau somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad