Rumor: MacKinnon says his new AAV is "not going to be single digit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Sounds like we'll see a discount.

Kane signed for 15.2% of the cap. If MacK signs for the same % that’s $12.5m.

Then factor in Kane signed during a “normal” cap growth era, whereas MacK will be signing in an era where a massive cap jump is expected 2-3 years into his new contract when the Escrow Balance is paid off.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
NO THAT DOESNT MAKE HIM THE HIGHEST PAID. it actually makes him look like an absolute fool, coming off a severely underpaid deal. and knowing Matthews and McDavid will sign much bigger deals, during his deal.

Hell Tavares got 13M 3 years ago. so if MacKinnon signs the deal you suggest he will then hes the Village idiot and the players Association will disown him as such.

I hope he does sign for 11M though, other players will hate him and go out of their way to cheap shot him for selling them out. Players depend on Their stars, to keep inflating the Salary Structure, and Mackinnon knows if he did sign for that he'd never hear the end of it.....
I think Tavares was offered 13 plus by San Jose ( reportedly) but 77 over 7 years was the agreed upon /signed contract ( 11 per not 13 as stated) .

Reactions: HolyCrap

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
According to Long Island Newsday at the time the, Islanders offered him $91M. Which was where the 13M a year came from. Pat Brisson later confirmed it. he had then and Still has a good relationship with the Islanders, But as he's always maintained, his first priority is always to his clients.... and you cant fault him for that. Thats Why I have no problem calling Tavares What he is a real Dirtbag

and his letter in the Athletic to Islander Fans was nothing but a load of crap probably written by his agent as a way to rehabilitate Tavares reputation....I dont believe a word of it.

to their credit many Maple Leaf Bloggers, have seen through Tavares Two Faced ways and dont buy his excuses either

This sounds a little Rent Free to me here, people should be allowed to play where they want for what they want at a certain point of their careers.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
According to Long Island Newsday at the time the, Islanders offered him $91M. Which was where the 13M a year came from. Pat Brisson later confirmed it. he had then and Still has a good relationship with the Islanders, But as he's always maintained, his first priority is always to his clients.... and you cant fault him for that. Thats Why I have no problem calling Tavares What he is a real Dirtbag

and his letter in the Athletic to Islander Fans was nothing but a load of crap probably written by his agent as a way to rehabilitate Tavares reputation....I dont believe a word of it.

to their credit many Maple Leaf Bloggers, have seen through Tavares Two Faced ways and dont buy his excuses either
That's news to me as I'd only read about the Sharks interest/offer. I thought the Isles had offered a similar amount to the 11 per he eventually signed for .

OKR

Nov 18, 2015

Are you still working in your first place of work?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I hope he does sign for 11M though, other players will hate him and go out of their way to cheap shot him for selling them out. Players depend on Their stars, to keep inflating the Salary Structure, and Mackinnon knows if he did sign for that he'd never hear the end of it.....
Any trend of superstars taking less money is only a good thing for most players.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
NO THAT DOESNT MAKE HIM THE HIGHEST PAID. it actually makes him look like an absolute fool, coming off a severely underpaid deal. and knowing Matthews and McDavid will sign much bigger deals, during his deal.

Hell Tavares got 13M 3 years ago. so if MacKinnon signs the deal you suggest he will then hes the Village idiot and the players Association will disown him as such.

Completely wrong. It's beneficial for the majority of the player that stars don't get a large % of the cap. The amount of salary the NHL pays is determined by revenue and revenue alone.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Those people must've been pretty scarce. I don't remember anyone ever thinking that. I do remember the majority of people being disappointed in the production, but being able to recognize the ceiling even with the able the growing pains. MacK has always had it.
The bigger debate was MacKinnon versus Seth Jones.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
MacK said in Friedman's interview, that he is not going anywhere from Colorado. When he was asked, if the deal will be the biggest deal in NHL atm, he cunningly responded "I am not going to answer your question" with a bit of a laugh. My instinct says that it'll be north of 12,5M.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Kane signed for 15.2% of the cap. If MacK signs for the same % that’s $12.5m.

Then factor in Kane signed during a “normal” cap growth era, whereas MacK will be signing in an era where a massive cap jump is expected 2-3 years into his new contract when the Escrow Balance is paid off.
I think 12.5 or slightly above is it.

I'd bet Mack's agent wants 8 years and around 100M.

I doubt Colorado hard balls him much either. Their only leverage is saying "but you said you only want to play in Colorado"

MacK will get his money and deserves it.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
and that fine, just dont lie about it. id have no problem if Tavares had said upfront Hey I want to get all i can to maximize my future,....thats his right... then the isles coud trade him. but tavares didnt do that., he lied and said please dont trade me, I want to be an Islander,

that was dirty pool

Most people don't act this way, why should an NHLer?

Also sometimes people change their minds on things and it is his life not anyone else's.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that when you have an opportunity to sign Nathan MacKinnon for single digit (millions) then it's a good idea to just do it!

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I mean, obviously?

I mean, just 1 year ago the best player on the team at the time signed a long-term deal for $9M? I don't think it is inconceivable that MacKinnon would have signed a single-digit deal. Is it unexpected that it's not single digits? No.

Anyway, it will be funny to see the Avs fans who were complaining about MacKinnon when he was making what he makes now during the playoffs being happy about the contract renewal, since people are crazy and have extreme mood swings in mere minutes or days back and forth about players and teams. Avs are a bunch of losers who definitely lose the playoffs after one game vs the blues, for example. MacKinnon is overpaid @ less than 7M, all he does is get the puck, skate around in circles for a while, and turn it over. Lol, a will not watch this team again until they blow it up and get a completely new core post, as well. Then days later it's a great or the best team and MacKinnon is worth a near double price increase, at least? Lol.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Colorado fans can you chime in on my memory regarding Mackinnon...

Did Mackinnon not go on the record in the last couple years stating he would take less money to help keep the team competitive or to be able to retain other players?

I know he was underpaid on his current deal, but that significantly played a major part in the team being able to assemble a stronger group around him that turned into a Stanley Cup. Should be interesting to see how much the salary cap does go up in the next few years and if it takes a big jump we might see higher salaries for players not deserving that kind of dough...reminds me when the NBA had a huge raise then we saw guys making tons of money for even bench players.

Anyways, I can't remember when Mackinnon made the comment I mentioned above, it may have been when Rantanen was in contract negotiations??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad