Confirmed with Link: MacKinnon extended! 8 years, 12.6 AAV

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
My sisters kids have the internet skills to insert a picture of a yacht here.
yacht.jpg

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Didnt realize that the new cap hit is exactly double of what he was making before

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I have no idea about this kind of thing, but did they front load it? Would make sense due to they fact that we are going to have to sign some players down the road and hopefully the cap goes up in the future.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I have no idea about this kind of thing, but did they front load it? Would make sense due to they fact that we are going to have to sign some players down the road and hopefully the cap goes up I the futures.

Actual cash, yeah, but it's a 12.6m cap hit and AAV every year.

23-24: $775k Base + $15.725m Signing Bonus
24-25: $775k + $15.725m
25-26: $800k + $15.25m
26-27: $9.15m + $3.0m
27-28: $990k + $8.91m
28-29: $990k + $8.91m
29-30: $990k + $8.91m
30-31: $990k + $8.91m

For example, over 16m in each of the first two years and under 10m in each of the las 4 years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have no idea about this kind of thing, but did they front load it? Would make sense due to they fact that we are going to have to sign some players down the road and hopefully the cap goes up in the future.

They did for the most part. He'll be making $16.5 million annually for the first three years of the deal, a great majority of which is in signing bonuses.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Actual cash, yeah, but it's a 12.6m cap hit and AAV every year.

23-24: $775k Base + $15.725m Signing Bonus
24-25: $775k + $15.725m
25-26: $800k + $15.25m
26-27: $9.15m + $3.0m
27-28: $990k + $8.91m
28-29: $990k + $8.91m
29-30: $990k + $8.91m
30-31: $990k + $8.91m

For example, over 16m in each of the first two years and under 10m in each of the las 4 years.
Thanks, I’m definitely not the guy to go to regarding contracts.

Seems like Joe did a hell of a job, though. Gave Mackinnon a solid contract, gave him king of the hill honors for a bit, and rewarded him for winning a cup and for staying with the organization through the dark years, but didn’t completely break the bank.

Win win in my book

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The weird year is 2026-27, the signing bonus drop down to around $3 million and the actual salary jump way up to $9 million, but then the remaining four years the bonuses average around 8.9 million and salary drops back way down to six figures.

Ain't no buyout happenin' here, that's for sure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The weird year is 2026-27, the signing bonus drop down to around $3 million and the actual salary jump way up to $9 million, but then the remaining four years the bonuses average around 8.9 million and salary drops back way down to six figures.

Ain't no buyout happenin' here, that's for sure.
CBA... lowers the potential bill for the Kroenkes in case there is a lockout.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Aaaaahhhh okay that makes sense. They won't owe him a ton of money that season, that's actually kinda smart, though I hope to hell there isn't another goddamned work stoppage.

I have doubts there will be. More or less the CBA is working for all parties. Minor squabbles, but nothing to force a lockout over. Unless the Covid escrow doesn't get paid out.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
For budgeting purposes, the CBA calls for the Average Annual Value to be attributed to the cap ceiling each year. As such, front loading does nothing in terms of cap. Kroenke just won a Superbowl and a Stanley Cup (and purchased the entire Six Flags next to Ball arena, to turn it into mixed-use income generation, not an amusement park.) So he has the money to pay.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Happy for Nate but I'm shocked by this contract. I really didn't think it was going to come in north of McDavid's deal.

Tampa has largely been able to keep their team together because guys like Kucherov and Stamkos took a fair bit less when they could have gotten more. I think Rantanen and Landeskog and Makar all kind of followed this to varying degrees, and then MacKinnon comes in demanding to be the highest paid player in NHL...

When Barkov signed for 10m, I thought Nate would come in a little higher but in the same area roughly. 12.6 is not that.

If the cap goes up a ton in the near/immediate future maybe this won't be so bad, but for the moment it looks like a great contract for the player and a killer to the depth of the team.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Happy for Nate but I'm shocked by this contract. I really didn't think it was going to come in north of McDavid's deal.

Tampa has largely been able to keep their team together because guys like Kucherov and Stamkos took a fair bit less when they could have gotten more. I think Rantanen and Landeskog and Makar all kind of followed this to varying degrees, and then MacKinnon comes in demanding to be the highest paid player in NHL...

When Barkov signed for 10m, I thought Nate would come in a little higher but in the same area roughly. 12.6 is not that.

If the cap goes up a ton in the near/immediate future maybe this won't be so bad, but for the moment it looks like a great contract for the player and a killer to the depth of the team.
Nate's situation has always been different because he's had to hear about how his contract was the the best deal in the league throughout most of it. People's perception is skewed because he said he'd take less again, but let's be honest here. He's owed some back pay. And at the end of the day, he did take less again considering what he would've gotten on the open market.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
When a team and a player love each other very very much, they get together privately and

make a deal that’s fair market value for the player, not a new high standard for AAV (by that I mean not a million higher, but just .1 higher), and makes it so the player is in a way retroactively paid well for the sweetheart deal the team enjoyed and reaped the benefits from.

Hopefully we make more little Cups.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
So happy for him. First he won the cup, now he can finally move out of that one room apartment he was forced to live in and can fulfill his destiny and buy Canada! Atta boy!!!

All kidding aside: I'm happy he stays, but that contract is "fair" market value. No discount what so ever.
12.6x8 translate into 14.4x7. Hard to see a (good) team paying that kind of money for a player not named McDavid or Makar. At least not until the cap is in the 90s.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad