Confirmed with Link: MacKinnon extended! 8 years, 12.6 AAV

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The only part of this contract I dislike is the lockout year switch in structure.

If there’s a lockout in 16/17 the Avs would be on the hook for any signing bonus money but not actual salary. Mackinnon’s camp likely didn’t like this part of the contract. I feel had they given him all signing bonus money that year he may have been willing the shave a few mil on the entire deal for that added security.

Nowhere near a big deal by any means. I just find it odd that the Avs cared more about their actual dollars spent than they did AAV. I guess after the Jokic deal and now this one they had to give in to Kroenke a little.

If I were running the show I absolutely would have made that year the biggest signing bonus of them all in trade for some shaved AAV but it’s also not my money. Cmac is a pretty smart guy. I’d have to assume this is a Kroenke thing.

It's all guessing games and I'm guessing Nate (and Brisson) weren't going below that $12.6M number. That's a very specific number for obvious reasons.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Lol @Balthazar, looks like I was right about $12.6m ;)

Of course you knew, we all know who you really are

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Maybe it came out as too negative. I am very happy he stays with Colorado for the next eight seasons. There's no way we could replace him. Having player like him in our team is special.

MacK will do everything he can to win couple more Stanley Cups!

Sorry dude, I maybe have taken it the wrong way. Just happy that the Avs actually had a contract extension done without much trouble unlike the past.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol if you think Dater has any credibility at this point you're crazy. All this not close BS the last few days kind of blew up in his face per the usual.

As for the contract completely fair for both sides. Big money for Nate which puts him in line with the top guys in the league. After a year or 2 it will just be a top 5 money deal which is what he deserves. For the Avs it's not going to destroy them.

Glad it's over and we can focus on hockey now. Let's go get another one this year.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Brisson doesn't f*** around and MacKinnon stayed true to his word that he wouldn't take a one digit deal.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Sorry dude, I maybe have taken it the wrong way. Just happy that the Avs actually had a contract extension done without much trouble unlike the past.
No problem man, I didn't sound very optimistic. Actually it didn't sound positive at all. Maybe salary cap is too much in my head or fear of becoming another Chicago/Penguins without any depth. In the end, those teams did win a few cups.

Reactions: kchan9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I highly doubt the 12.6M AAV on paper was as important to Mackinnon as the actual dollars in his bank account.

That number was clearly important to him and his agent. They're also probably betting on him getting those actual dollars regardless because this league is foolish but probably not foolish enough for another lockout when things appear to be on a significant upswing.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Lol if you think Dater has any credibility at this point you're crazy. All this not close BS the last few days kind of blew up in his face per the usual.

As for the contract completely fair for both sides. Big money for Nate which puts him in line with the top guys in the league. After a year or 2 it will just be a top 5 money deal which is what he deserves. For the Avs it's not going to destroy them.

Glad it's over and we can focus on hockey now. Let's go get another one this year.

Has Mackinnon signed yet!? God, what's taking them so long! :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Great deal.

This is exactly what fans expected dating back to 2019-ish, and MacFarland and Sakic were able to put pen to paper.

pont

Jul 1, 2019
I really think Dater does have legit resources. I also feel, based on the last few predictions, his sources like to 'F' with him to make him look bad.

Reactions: Avsboy

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
1663694345751.png

You have the money instantly.

Like a guaranteed contract amount basically.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Pretty good deal as long as the cap goes up as expected in a few years. When we are in year 6-7-8 of that contract, it is likely NOT going to be even Top-10 in terms of the highest AAV in the league and top players are probably going to be getting closer to $17M at that point.

When McDavid is up for a new contract at age 28, he's going to reset that top mark significantly especially if the cap has already jumped up.

Good deal, I'm happy he's done and we don't have to worry about it all freakin' season!

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
You COULD have replaced Nathan with different players IN AGGREGATED FORM!

Also, this deal is CUP friendly.

"Now, I've got a 100 problems and my wallet is one".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad