Confirmed with Link: MacKinnon extended! 8 years, 12.6 AAV

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
No hometown discount. I find it pricey considering the flat cap. Oh well, let's win Cups now and worry about the future later.

Also weird that the NMC on his next contract applies retroactively to today.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Our window really is the next 5 years at best for another cup. I think for 4 or 5 of those it won't be bad. No one cares about the last 3 if we can grab another cup in this window.

That's true. That's how I see it too. 4-5 seasons it will be good and then it will hurt us, but most likely meaningless at that point. (The whole team trending down).

No hometown discount. I find it pricey considering the flat cap. Oh well, let's win Cups now and worry about the future later.

Hopefully we get couple Cups out of this. That's all we wish. Hah

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006

Signing the extension in and of itself is a bit of a discount, especially when it's entirely possible some team would offer close to 13 million per next summer, particularly if the cap goes up (as it likely will, even if not by a massive amount).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I knew it'd get done, much sooner than I expected TBH. Great news.

I DGAF if it doesn't age well, and the latter part of the deal likely won't. Who cares, the number 29 will very likely be hanging in the rafters in the next decade or so, and the guy played a major role in making this team a Cup winner again. He also appears to be by all accounts a pretty decent person.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
"Flat cap" exists for what, another two years? It would've meant taking less (again) on a long-term deal only for the cap to jump and then watch everyone else get paid? No chance.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Signing the extension in and of itself is a bit of a discount, especially when it's entirely possible some team would offer close to 13 million per next summer, particularly if the cap goes up (as it likely will, even if not by a massive amount).
Every player that re-signs to a team without testing Free Agency likely could have made more money if they did. Anyway it changes person to person what they consider a home discount.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
MAC Daddy.jpeg

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
It's fine especially if they know the cap will go up substantially at some point but definitely restricts the team for a year or two. I just didn't think he was that caught up in the money and it is certainly more than his closest comparison which is Barkov. The fact that it meant so much to be the highest player paid rather than a fair deal which would have been closer to $10 or $11 makes me respect him a little less but I can't blame someone for maximizing their salary after a cup win. It is just he talked such a team perspective whenever it came up just seems disingenuous now. $12.6/yr is on the high end and the agent must have made the case he is clearly above the huberdeau, Barkov, Gaudreau bunch because that is the range I would expect from the club perspective. I also don't think McFarland is nearly as hard nosed as Sakic.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The only part of this contract I dislike is the lockout year switch in structure.

If there’s a lockout in 16/17 the Avs would be on the hook for any signing bonus money but not actual salary. Mackinnon’s camp likely didn’t like this part of the contract. I feel had they given him all signing bonus money that year he may have been willing the shave a few mil on the entire deal for that added security.

Nowhere near a big deal by any means. I just find it odd that the Avs cared more about their actual dollars spent than they did AAV. I guess after the Jokic deal and now this one they had to give in to Kroenke a little.

If I were running the show I absolutely would have made that year the biggest signing bonus of them all in trade for some shaved AAV but it’s also not my money. Cmac is a pretty smart guy. I’d have to assume this is a Kroenke thing.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
12.6 makes so much sense in hindsight. Double his previous AAV and makes him the highest paid currently.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Sheesh...quit pouting. That AAV for a proven generational talent that just won us the cup. How's that bad at some point when the cap is going up

Maybe it came out as too negative. I am very happy he stays with Colorado for the next eight seasons. There's no way we could replace him. Having player like him in our team is special.

MacK will do everything he can to win couple more Stanley Cups!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So glad this is done. Not that I doubted it would get done, but it's just good to have it done and be able to just concentrate on the season without having to worry.

Gotta think that early in the summer when Nate had that initial meeting with Joe and CMac that he pretty much let them know where he was sitting at on AAV, because they were able to solidly navigate the summer without him having actually put pen to paper previously.

What a great deal for Nate. It's rich, richer than I like but I absolutely understand that it's not in reality, especially if the cap does rise more significantly than I think...which is by not much for the next 4 years. I love that he got the vast majority of it guaranteed with the signing bonuses. I think the last player to do that or try that with the Avs was ROR, right?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Lol @Balthazar, looks like I was right about $12.6m ;)

Reactions: Balthazar

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
The only part of this contract I dislike is the lockout year switch in structure.

If there’s a lockout in 16/17 the Avs would be on the hook for any signing bonus money but not actual salary. Mackinnon’s camp likely didn’t like this part of the contract. I feel had they given him all signing bonus money that year he may have been willing the shave a few mil on the entire deal for that added security.

Nowhere near a big deal by any means. I just find it odd that the Avs cared more about their actual dollars spent than they did AAV. I guess after the Jokic deal and now this one they had to give in to Kroenke a little.

If I were running the show I absolutely would have made that year the biggest signing bonus of them all in trade for some shaved AAV but it’s also not my money. Cmac is a pretty smart guy. I’d have to assume this is a Kroenke thing.

Yea I agree, it would only hurt the owners pockets. I suppose all the owners might be in it together to make it harder for the players to do a lockout. If they don't lose out on money then no reason not to stick to their demands.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: