M_B's Mock Draft - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
Morrison_Rulz said:
You mean Richards. ;) Anyway I think you have a good team. Goaltending and defense looks good so far. Forwards look good too. Just find a good top line RWer.

That's the hangover typing. I think I need some more size up front.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thoughts on Chicago wanted...

Tkachuk-Weight-Iginla
xxxxx - Yashin - Ruutu
xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx

Niinimaa - Zubov
Zhitnik - Phillips
J-BO - xxxxx

Kiprusoff
xxxxx

Calgary:
Good 1st line with 2 of the best wingers available in the draft. To be honest, taking Morrison over guys like Koivu was a bad choice.

New Jersey:
Solid squad, but not real top-tier offensive players. Morrow got picked a little too high IMO.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Thoughts on Chicago wanted...

Tkachuk-Weight-Iginla
xxxxx - Yashin - Ruutu
xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx
xxxxx - xxxxx - xxxxx

Niinimaa - Zubov
Zhitnik - Phillips
J-BO - xxxxx

Kiprusoff
xxxxx

Calgary:
Good 1st line with 2 of the best wingers available in the draft. To be honest, taking Morrison over guys like Koivu was a bad choice.

New Jersey:
Solid squad, but not real top-tier offensive players. Morrow got picked a little too high IMO.
Great top line, good defense (but no true studs), second line depends on if Yashin wants to show up. 2-Way play could be a question mark with all of your fwds besides Iggy. Nice looking team.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Chicago

Who likes the playoff track records of Tkachuk? Yashin? Weight? :shakehead
Who knows with Ruutu and J-Bo? :dunno:
Gotta love Iginla and Niinimaa in the playoffs! :handclap:
Zubov and Zhitnik are long in the tooth for Top3 minutes, :teach: though Zubov could still do it on a second unit. Great for powerplay however.
Love the Kipper! :thumbu:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Zubov isn't a stud?
At this point in his career, stud no, great defenseman, yes. He is amazing on the PP, but I don't know if he can handle a ton of minutes.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
jtuzzi21 said:
At this point in his career, stud no, great defenseman, yes. He is amazing on the PP, but I don't know if he can handle a ton of minutes.
EXACTLY.

On the second pairing of a great team, no higher. Perhaps a #3 guy, more so than Zhitnik at this stage of their careers. (Zhitnik had the WORST +/- of all seven defensemen on the lowly Sabres, part of the team's problem - weak defensemen, especially for heavy minutes).

Great pp though, admittedly.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
VanIslander said:
Chicago
Who likes the playoff track records of Tkachuk? Yashin? Weight? :shakehead

True about Yashin and Tkachuk, but Weight has a great playoff track record. 13 points in 7 games VS the Nucks two years ago. One of the few Blues who actually played well VS the Sharks last year, and he was golden with the Oilers all those years.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Weight has had good years. I was thinking of his first year in St. Louis when he wasn't doing much. Yeah, I checked his career stats in the postseason, they're pretty good overall. But man, he needs to ditch the Blues! You brought him to Chicago, maybe that's the answer. ;)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Offense

Tanguay - Yzerman - Gaborik ( The Future Line )
Erat - C - Sturn ( The Speedy Line )
Cooke - Madden - Hartnell ( Checking Line )
RW - C - LW ( Complentary Line )

Defense

Stuart - Hannan
D - D
D - D

Goaltending

G

Any thoughts?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MaDdY said:
Offense

Tanguay - Yzerman - Gaborik ( The Future Line )
Erat - C - Sturn ( The Speedy Line )
Cooke - Madden - Hartnell ( Checking Line )
RW - C - LW ( Complentary Line )

Defense

Stuart - Hannan
D - D
D - D

Goaltending

G

Any thoughts?

My thoughts: If you were patient and didn't trade some of your guys away (Hossa, Heatley, Hejduk) this would be a better squad.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
monster_bertuzzi said:
My thoughts: If you were patient and didn't trade some of your guys away (Hossa, Heatley, Hejduk) this would be a better squad.

True. But its all experimental...:) u win some you lose some...im just having fun. Plus if i've had kept them, i wouldnt have got the others i have. Tanguay, Gaborik, Hannan and even Stuart :)

Pulfy14

May 11, 2004
What does everyone think of my first line?

Nash-Spezza-Heatley

or is it too young? :dunno:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
leafs_fan1001 said:
What does everyone think of my first line?

Nash-Spezza-Heatley

or is it too young? :dunno:
+/- would be atrocious. It would provide some nice goals, though. :)

Pulfy14

May 11, 2004
Hi guys... I was woundering if anyone is willing to trade a good 2nd liner to me.. if anyone is please pm :)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I like Edmonton.

Kovalchuk-Briere-Satan provides a lot of speed and scoring and I believe Satan's physicality and work down low compliments Kovalchuk's game.

Nagy-Comrie-Zednik is good but not especially gifted defensively to shadow opposing top lines. This will put a lot of pressure on the third line to do a lot.

And the defensemen can't be relied on to shutdown other teams. Many people have said for a loooong time that Jovo is overrated defensively, and is the Canucks third best blueliner, but the fans of his hits and size haven't listened until lately at the world championships. He is NOT a number 1 guy. He makes too many mistakes - continually. Put him on the second pairing at least! Derek Morris would have more success, IMO.

Overall, the blueline is suspect and there isn't a two-way line. This is where picks/trades might want to be concentrated, IMO.

But Nabbie in net will be good enough to steal a game or two, he's proven that time and again.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm a bit puzzled by the Vancouver entry.

If you want to win 16 playoff games and take home the Stanley Cup, why rely on younger and less experienced guys to play several key roles?

Jokinen, Bell, Cheechoo, Legwand and Dvorak are talents. But to put them ALL front and centre on the top lines come playoff time to win it all right now... there's a couple too many of them, IMO.

Trade two of them to get more experienced top players, even out the experience-inexperience divide.

On defense though, Kim Johnsson looks ready to go deep in the playoffs, at least when paired up with Foote. Good call.

Perhaps get a solid stay-at-home guy to go with Kubina.

Brodeur will do his job if he has a good defense in front of him. He's had a long career of being the solid guy who does enough to win if his defense helps him out. One more very good defensman is needed, IMO.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Montreal is looking good. They got steals with St.Louis and Alfredsson. Modano is a bit of a question mark, but still an elite centre. Primeau centering the third line is perfect. Stillman is the only pick I don't like...never impressed me.

On the blueline, Pronger has never won a Cup but is still a top-3, and arguably the best, dman in the league. Zidlicky is a great pick, and will help solidify the pp. Rathje is a big body but is kinda soft. Personally I wouldn't of taken him, but that's just me.

Vokoun impressed me against Detroit, but is mediochre in a 16-team league.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
VanIslander said:
I'm a bit puzzled by the Vancouver entry.

If you want to win 16 playoff games and take home the Stanley Cup, why rely on younger and less experienced guys to play several key roles?

Jokinen, Bell, Cheechoo, Legwand and Dvorak are talents. But to put them ALL front and centre on the top lines come playoff time to win it all right now... there's a couple too many of them, IMO.

Trade two of them to get more experienced top players, even out the experience-inexperience divide.

On defense though, Kim Johnsson looks ready to go deep in the playoffs, at least when paired up with Foote. Good call.

Perhaps get a solid stay-at-home guy to go with Kubina.

Brodeur will do his job if he has a good defense in front of him. He's had a long career of being the solid guy who does enough to win if his defense helps him out. One more very good defensman is needed, IMO.
They are all great, young players who can play 2-way hockey. I am confident that they would excell in the playoffs (Dvorak already has) and I wanted to build a fiesty top 6. I will have ample veteran support, and these are by no means set in stone (the lines). I really like the balance, two-way play, and scoring of my top 6.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thoughts on my home town team, the :nucks .

I agree with Islander here, Tuzzi's top 6 is young and raw - and maybe too in-experienced. It is also lacking that big-time scorer. Doan is great, but he's not at that elite level yet - and its doubtful he will be there in just one year. However, the goaltending and defence is what compliments this squad. Kubina is just so underrated its rediculous. This guy had 17 goals last year and was also his teams best defenceman in the playoffs - all the way to the Stanley cup. Foote - no need to explain. Kimmy Johnsson is another underrated fellow. I love Marty Brodeur, easily the best goalie in the world. So if I had to rate this club, it would be:

Experience: C-

Offence: B

Defence: A-

Goaltending: A+

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I like what I see on St. Louis!

(except for Lindros as the second line left winger :shakehead )

The first line has incredible speed and moves: Kariya Fedorov Hossa
The second line has at least two quality veterans who can still pack a big punch: Arnott, Mogilny
Nolan is great but on the third line is a bit odd.

(Suggestion: Move Mogilny to left wing, where he's played before and put Nolan on the right. Place Lindros on the fourth line so as not to overwork him.)

I like the defensive pairing of Regehr with Hamrlik and Brewer with Boyle.

But no goaltender? :eek:

You better get GOOD third pairing defensemen because all your good-but-not-elite blueliners will have to hustle on short shifts to protect whichever leftover goaltender you select in the later rounds to supposedly win 16 playoff games right away (you don't have three years to break a guy in, as G.M. your mandate in this league is to win NOW!)

This team is intriguing.... I'm looking forward to seeing how the gaps could be filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad