M_B's Mock Draft - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Here is my take on my team:

Dvorak - Jokinen - Doan
all three of these players compliment each other very well. Dvorak was great for the Oil two years ago in the playoffs, and he has wicked skills. Jokinen is a true two-way center, who will be top 10 in a year. Imo, he is the perfect type of player for the playoffs, gritty, and can score goals. He may be young, but inexperience within my top 6 isn't such a problem once I fill out the rest of my lines and defense. Doan is proven to be a top power forward, leading the NHL forwards in hits for the past few years. All there of these players mesh very well.
Bell - Legwand - Cheechoo.
I am not set on this line yet. I may bump Bell down a line. They are all young, maybe too young, I might nap an older winger and slide Bell down to the 3rd line. Legwand and Cheechoo are great two-way players with speed and skill. Legwand will be a Selkle finalist in his career.
Lehtinen is a premier checker, probably the best. I plan on getting some tested vets to play with him.
Same goes for my fourth line.

Foote - Johnsson will be amazing together, as with Foote back there Johnsson can take advantage of his offensive skills.
Kubina needs a defensive partner to let him get his goals.
Hammer is already a very good NHL'er and won't have to play huge minutes on the bottom pairing.

Brodeur.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Detroit has the best set of centres, a MODEL set: Datsyuk, Peca, Nieuwendyk, McCauley

I am absolutely jealous.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
Team I like the most so far is Detroit. All those picks he got from the Islanders have turned out well. Has 3 solid lines up front, vetren goaltender, and good defense.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
About Detroit, I'm not so fond of the wingers and there's at least three other teams with better bluelines.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I really like the Wings at this point, but my only beef is Drury/Walker are not third liners...... That is a wicked playoff line-up though.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others
VanIslander said:
Detroit has the best set of centres, a MODEL set: Datsyuk, Peca, Nieuwendyk, McCauley

I am absolutely jealous.

A few teams that are deep at center.

Calgary - Morrison, Damphousse, Draper
Montreal - Modano, Roenick, Primeau
New Jersey - Richards, Gomez, Conroy
Pittsburg - Lecavalier, Zhamnov, Holik

and of course the Wings.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Markus Naslund(C) - Brendan Morrison - Todd Bertuzzi

Steve Sullivan - Vincent Damphousse - Trent Hunter

So, What do you guys think of my top 2 lines?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Spitfire almost has his entire roster filled out, it seems unfair - but somehow he pulled it off.

More thoughts on Calgary:

The WCE is a bonified top line, but again, taking Morrison over better players like Koivu, Weight etc. was a mistake.

Second line is decent. Damphousse is just garbage IMO, I would hope you only took him because of the 35+ rule. Hunter and Sullivan were solid picks.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
VanIslander said:
EXACTLY.

On the second pairing of a great team, no higher. Perhaps a #3 guy, more so than Zhitnik at this stage of their careers. (Zhitnik had the WORST +/- of all seven defensemen on the lowly Sabres, part of the team's problem - weak defensemen, especially for heavy minutes).

Great pp though, admittedly.

Sergei Zubov is still a #1 and elite defenseman in the NHL. He's among the best playoff performers of his position. A #3? That's pitiful for a guy who had 55 points, played outstanding defense and had 15 points in 13 playoff games in 2003. The Stars had an off year in 2004, Zubov included. Try to watch Zubov a bit more.. he's a #1 no matter what. He scored 42 points last year, how many defensemen can say that 42 points is considered one of their worst years in their career?

Exactly..

He and Zhitnik are 2 completely different players.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I agree on the last part, but I just don't see Zubov as a #1 defenseman. He is very, very good, but that is just my opinion.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
jtuzzi21 said:
I agree on the last part, but I just don't see Zubov as a #1 defenseman. He is very, very good, but that is just my opinion.

He's always has been, I don't see how one flukey year (by his standards) makes any difference. It does becomes a different story if he sucks it up next season. Same goes for Mike Modano. Sergei Zubov logs 25 minutes a night, he's a horse and he will continue to be a good defenseman since his game never relied on physical aspects or speed.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
12# Peter Bondra said:
What about my team?

Elias-Demitra-Palffy
?-Handzus-Recchi

Timonen-Blake
Lydman-Salo

Denis

Awesome, but perhaps a tad soft (for playoff's standards) first line. Love Handzus, but not so much as a 2nd line center, Recchi is getting up there in age but still a very reliable producer.

Blake needs no explenation, Timonen is one of those quiet, solid types, a decent #2 IMO. Lydman and Salo are a very nice pairing for a 2nd unit, both have a hard shot and are solid two-way defensemen, though nothing spectacular.

You could've done better than Denis though. He's never played a playoff game in his career. Not to say he will stunk it up, as he is very talented, but there were better options than him at the moment of the pick.

Offense: 7.5/10
Defense: 8/10
Goalie: 6.5/10

There, my rather critical review..

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I took Denis as he took a team to the playoff finals in the jtuzzi draft we did.

I wanted Vokoun, Joseph or some other G I forget right now, but they all went in 1 round, right before my picks.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Also I took Recchi cause he and Handzus played on the same line last season and they played well.

I know my top 6 is so far a bit soft, but TB also didnt have a physical top 6 (Lecavalier, Richards, St.Louis, Modin, Stillman and somebody) and won the Cup. Not saying they were soft, but they werent power forwards.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
12# Peter Bondra said:
I took Denis as he took a team to the playoff finals in the jtuzzi draft we did.

I wanted Vokoun, Joseph or some other G I forget right now, but they all went in 1 round, right before my picks.

I see.. well, because I was critical on yours, be free to vent on mine! ;)

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
LW C RW

Markus Naslund(C) - Brendan Morrison - Todd Bertuzzi

Steve Sullivan - Vincent Damphousse - Trent Hunter

XXXX - Kris Draper(A) - XXXX

Wade Redden(A) - Adrian Aucoin

John Micheal Liles - XXXX

Starting Goaltender:
Andrew Raycroft

The 1st line is great, the 2nd is good also, but isnt Sullivan a natural RW? Damphouse may be a bit old, but good nonetheless. Draper is a great no.3 C.

Defense is so far good but Im not sold on Raycroft. He has only had 1 good season so far and he MAY become the next Jim Carey.

Mike York - Peter Forsberg - Petr Sykora
Ryan Smyth (A) - Mario Lemieux (C) - Jeff O'Neill
Jamie Langenbrunner - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jason Smith (A) - Barret Jackman
Paul Mara -

Jose Theodore
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A nice team. Both C's are injury prone but I like the wingers. The top 2 D's are a bit too defensive minded for my liking (for the top pairing I mean). Theodore is a good G, although inconsistent at times.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Sullivan NATURALLY is RW, but he plays the LW pretty much the same.

Raycroft was good in the playoffs and great in the regular season, but I think I can get a good backup incase he fails.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well things are shaping up and teams are starting to fill out.

Detroit has a strong squad and is amongst the favourites but I don't believe he is unbeatable like some seem to think. There are still plenty of good players left.

So once we are done we all send in conference rankings from 1-8 to determine the playoff seedings?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
NeoCanuck said:
Sullivan NATURALLY is RW, but he plays the LW pretty much the same.

Raycroft was good in the playoffs and great in the regular season, but I think I can get a good backup incase he fails.
No he doesn't. :) He was used sparingly on the left-side for a few years, then found his niche.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Steadfast said:
Well things are shaping up and teams are starting to fill out.

Detroit has a strong squad and is amongst the favourites but I don't believe he is unbeatable like some seem to think. There are still plenty of good players left.

So once we are done we all send in conference rankings from 1-8 to determine the playoff seedings?

We'll use 'Tuzzi's format from the salary cap draft. All the GM's will PM me their 1-8 seeds of both conferences to guage the rankings. And c'mon guys, lets not be biased towards our squads.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Agreed with Steadfast, Detroit is probably the favorite, but he's beatable, especially with some smart picking for some teams here. Not sure who I like 2nd best though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->