LW Vladimir Tkachyov - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2014 undrafted)

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Maybe 3rd, but I think 4-7 is more likely. This season's performance is a huge factor.

Jun 22, 2009
I don't think people realize how good he was at camp. He didn't just not look out of place, he averaged over a point a game. Pretty crazy. I'd be shocked if he isn't up there for the lead in points in the Q.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I don't think people realize how good he was at camp. He didn't just not look out of place, he averaged over a point a game. Pretty crazy. I'd be shocked if he isn't up there for the lead in points in the Q.

He will be, but it wouldnt be the first time an undrafted small player scored a lot of points in junior, especially the Q playing alongside another star in Barbashev.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He could put up 100+ points this year in junior if he gets a full season. The magnitude of his dominance there will have an effect. If he really does dominate, the 2nd/3rd predictions could come to fruition. :dunno:

SchultzSquared*

He'll go in the 3rd round to Washington and become the best player in the game, and beat the Oilers 5 years down the line, in the finals to capture the Cup - win the Conn Smyth. Making it, the dumbest organization error in Oil history but Mactavish will still be employed by the Oilers.

If Tkachev is truly that kind of talent why did it matter EDM invited him to camp at all??? It does not impact how he does this year... no one in the Q cares what his NHL pre season PPG is... therefore if he gets 100+ points or whatever to prove he can be a top 60 prospect... well good for him camp once again does not matter... the Oilers will have "missed out" on a player all 30 teams did 7 times each... if EDM is dumb for this... and people talk like they could have avoided the CBA restriction somehow... then well 30 teams minus the one team who finally does have also committed a serious error... I cannot wait for all those GMs to resign on the day Tkachev plays his first NHL game or whatever

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace88*

Between 85 and 110 is my guess. It really doesn't matter because it won't affect him one way or another. He has exposure now, teams know what he can do.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
He'll go in the 3rd round to Washington and become the best player in the game, and beat the Oilers 5 years down the line, in the finals to capture the Cup - win the Conn Smyth. Making it, the dumbest organization error in Oil history but Mactavish will still be employed by the Oilers.

How would it be the biggest ever. You're talking about the guy who almost signed Clarkson to a 5.75/7 deal with full NMC and NTC, yet failing to sign an undrafted player due to a CBA issue is somehow worse?

Seriously, just offering that contract to Clarkson is worse nevermind if he signed it.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
He'll go somewhere between pick 45 and 115. Probably around the start of the 3rd round since teams now know he can hold his own against NHL players. He'll also rip it up along side Barbashev.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
How would it be the biggest ever. You're talking about the guy who almost signed Clarkson to a 5.75/7 deal with full NMC and NTC, yet failing to sign an undrafted player due to a CBA issue is somehow worse?

Seriously, just offering that contract to Clarkson is worse nevermind if he signed it.

lol at the Edmonton fans being so defensive. Clarkson was offered the contract. A bigger blunder is that the Oilers did not do their homework and signed Tkachev, thinking they could. This is as bad as Calgary making an offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly, and not knowing that he had to go on waivers. You're not suppose to make these stupid mistakes. It's a billion dollar industry, you can't tell me how your paying guys millions if these guys don't know what they are doing.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
If Tkachev is truly that kind of talent why did it matter EDM invited him to camp at all??? It does not impact how he does this year... no one in the Q cares what his NHL pre season PPG is... therefore if he gets 100+ points or whatever to prove he can be a top 60 prospect... well good for him camp once again does not matter... the Oilers will have "missed out" on a player all 30 teams did 7 times each... if EDM is dumb for this... and people talk like they could have avoided the CBA restriction somehow... then well 30 teams minus the one team who finally does have also committed a serious error... I cannot wait for all those GMs to resign on the day Tkachev plays his first NHL game or whatever

Who cares what the other teams did or not. The fact is, the oilers tried to sign a player and failed miserably to do so.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
lol at the Edmonton fans being so defensive. Clarkson was offered the contract. A bigger blunder is that the Oilers did not do their homework and signed Tkachev, thinking they could. This is as bad as Calgary making an offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly, and not knowing that he had to go on waivers. You're not suppose to make these stupid mistakes. It's a billion dollar industry, you can't tell me how your paying guys millions if these guys don't know what they are doing.

Signing Clarkson to that deal is obviously a bigger mistake than one that has zero negative effect, which is the case here. The Oilers were harmed in no way other than some people having a chuckle at their expense. Perhaps they were aware of the issue and simply thought the rule was ambiguous enough that maybe the deal would be approved. I'm not saying I believe that's the case, but it's not unreasonable, unless they came out and said otherwise already. Where's the downside? This idea that other teams got "free scouting" is nonsense, as if he isn't going to be scouted all year long already, or as if other teams got a better look at him than the Oilers did.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Signing Clarkson to that deal is obviously a bigger mistake than one that has zero negative effect, which is the case here. The Oilers were harmed in no way other than some people having a chuckle at their expense. Perhaps they were aware of the issue and simply thought the rule was ambiguous enough that maybe the deal would be approved. I'm not saying I believe that's the case, but it's not unreasonable, unless they came out and said otherwise already. Where's the downside? This idea that other teams got "free scouting" is nonsense, as if he isn't going to be scouted all year long already, or as if other teams got a better look at him than the Oilers did.

I dunno, maybe the Oils could use a guy like Clarkson. They sure don't look like they've gotten any better.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013

Not being defensive, I just don't know how you could think that this was the biggest mistake the oilers management has made. Not hiring Eakins as coach, not signing pouliot to the contract he got, not retaining the same higher-ups after 8 years of utter failure, not continuing to draft small skilled one dimensional forwards while continually having the worst defense in the league... should I go on. Instead, you pick a tiny mistake that has been made prior by other teams, and could not be avoided due to cba terms.

Hell at least someone even admitted to this mistake, this coming from the management who has not once admitted to making grave mistakes they made that have ensured the Oilers finished bottom of the standings for the last 8 years.

Of course you're not supposed to make these mistakes, but this specific mistake is dwarfed when compared to the mistakes the management has made over these last 8 years of complete dissapointment.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Not being defensive, I just don't know how you could think that this was the biggest mistake the oilers management has made. Not hiring Eakins as coach, not signing pouliot to the contract he got, not retaining the same higher-ups after 8 years of utter failure, not continuing to draft small skilled one dimensional forwards while continually having the worst defense in the league... should I go on. Instead, you pick a tiny mistake that has been made prior by other teams, and could not be avoided due to cba terms.

Hell at least someone even admitted to this mistake, this coming from the management who has not once admitted to making grave mistakes they made that have ensured the Oilers finished bottom of the standings for the last 8 years.

Of course you're not supposed to make these mistakes, but this specific mistake is dwarfed when compared to the mistakes the management has made over these last 8 years of complete dissapointment.

Definitely being defensive when your putting words in my mouth.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I dunno, maybe the Oils could use a guy like Clarkson. They sure don't look like they've gotten any better.

No one could use Clarkson at that contract, it's just bad. Regardless, your comment is irrelevant to whether the Clarkson contract was a mistake and whether this attempted Tkachev signing was a mistake.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
No one could use Clarkson at that contract, it's just bad. Regardless, your comment is irrelevant to whether the Clarkson contract was a mistake and whether this attempted Tkachev signing was a mistake.

You found that out just now? I never brought up Clarkson. It's so irrelevant, that you had to respond.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You found that out just now? I never brought up Clarkson. It's so irrelevant, that you had to respond.

I never said you brought Clarkson up, but the comment I responded to was you saying, in response to another, that the Clarkson contract would be less of a mistake than this Tkachev matter. My response contended the opposite. You then responded about how the Oilers could use a guy like Clarkson, implying they could use him under those terms, which is nonsense, and that the Oilers don't look like they've gotten any better, which is the irrelevant part. Did the Tkachev contract attempt make them worse? Did it have an effect on them whatsoever? Did it cost them anything? I really don't see what the big deal is besides having a laugh at them while understanding that it all means nothing.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Teams had seen him play plenty of times. Don't let a couple games vs players playing half speed fool you. It won't fool them. Nobody is even talking about him if not for being in a market that is looking for literally the smallest thing to get hyped about.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I never said you brought Clarkson up, but the comment I responded to was you saying, in response to another, that the Clarkson contract would be less of a mistake than this Tkachev matter. My response contended the opposite. You then responded about how the Oilers could use a guy like Clarkson, implying they could use him under those terms, which is nonsense, and that the Oilers don't look like they've gotten any better, which is the irrelevant part. Did the Tkachev contract attempt make them worse? Did it have an effect on them whatsoever? Did it cost them anything? I really don't see what the big deal is besides having a laugh at them while understanding that it all means nothing.

You don't think the Oil could use Clarksson? They could use anyone about now, who knows how Clarksson would have played under different circumstance. Hindsight is 20/20, if you want to make a risk on a player, you do it. The Oil haven't sign anyone in forever. You don't think that they couldn't use a guy who could be a sparkplug and a leader? You think Ryan Smyth could? The guy who should have retired 3 years ago, but still took ice time away from the kids.

It's not a big deal to you, just like how, signing an offer sheet isn't a big deal to you but its a huge deal in the professional level. Just like how, in a lesser extent, how a Canuck's writer can define a player by his skin color.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Reminds me a lot of Sergei Tolchinsky when he was signed after going undrafted last season. Very similar stories. I think he'll go in the 3rd round, probably high in the third if that's where Edmonton picks. But don't be surprised if someone else lands him a few picks ahead of an Edmonton slot.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
You don't think the Oil could use Clarksson? They could use anyone about now, who knows how Clarksson would have played under different circumstance. Hindsight is 20/20, if you want to make a risk on a player, you do it. The Oil haven't sign anyone in forever. You don't think that they couldn't use a guy who could be a sparkplug and a leader? You think Ryan Smyth could? The guy who should have retired 3 years ago, but still took ice time away from the kids.

It's not a big deal to you, just like how, signing an offer sheet isn't a big deal to you but its a huge deal in the professional level. Just like how, in a lesser extent, how a Canuck's writer can define a player by his skin color.

What does any of this have to do with where Tkachev will go in the 2015 draft? We get it, you're a VAN fan who doesn't like the Oil. Move on. This will continue to sidetrack a decent debate/thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad