LW Vladimir Tkachyov - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2014 undrafted)

Aceonfire*

Bump.

The legend of Vladdy Hockey.

The kid has been absolutely outstanding at camp. He isn't one of those Schremp type of forwards. He isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas and he is easily one of the best at zone entries for the Oilers this preseason.

I hope the Oil sign him but if they don't I can see a team taking him for sure when he re-enters the draft.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 33m33 minutes ago

The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to a 3-year entry level deal with the small but skilled Vladimir Tkachev. He'll be heading to Moncton.

The little guy is good...skilled, smart and fun to watch

look forward to watching him in Moncton

plus, a low risk signing and high potential...like getting a free draft pick!

McDeathbyCheerios*

Kid was a standout at camp and absolutely earned a contract. I can see 29 teams kicking themselves for not drafting him, we just lucked out we were able to invite him to camp after not drafting him ourselves.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
Hopefully they give him the 10 games to see what he can do before sending him back to the Q

He's already been assigned

https://twitter.com/sunterryjones/status/516947234941071361
Oilers have agreed to a three-year entry level deal with The Little Russian. Vladimir Tkachev was a hit at camp. Back to QMJHL Moncton.

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/516945331465236480
The Edmonton Oilers have agreed to a 3-year entry level deal with the small but skilled Vladimir Tkachev. He'll be heading to Moncton.

There's no room in the top 9 for another winger right now. I'm just glad he's been signed, he looked great out there.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Of course you can't sign him to a standard players contract, dude is not a standaed player

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m2 minutes ago
Vladimir Tkachev's Standard Players Contract has been ruled ineligible by the National Hockey League.
I believe it's for the same reason Washington couldn't sign Nathan Walker last season: he didn't play the entire previous season in North America.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
I believe it's for the same reason Washington couldn't sign Nathan Walker last season: he didn't play the entire previous season in North America.

Yep.

Incredibly stupid rule. All it does is take away support from the player by an NHL team for a year. He gets injured, doesn't get drafted again, and there's no contract or team invested in his recovery. Result? He's left out to dry.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Tkachev 2015 Draft Position?

Simple Question.

Where do you think Tkachev will be drafted in 2015 given that his contract with Edmonton is now considered ineligible?

I think someone showing he can earn an NHL contract(even though voided) in his 18 year old season will boost where he could go in next year's draft, considerably.

Last edited:

hkyplyr16

Sep 6, 2008
I would think early - mid 2nd round.

Size is a huge issue for him, and teams generally begin taking chances around this time. The Oilers forsure will not let him slip past the second IMO.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
3rd round at best. Would be genuinely shocked if he was picked earlier. This draft is too deep and his size is still a question mark for him.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
He's gonna be almost two years older than the youngest guys to get drafted (OP calls this his 18 year old season, he's three days from turning 19, wouldn't this be his 19 year old season). And he's really, really tiny. So he's older and small, two things a lot of scouts are biased against. I'd say third or fourth round, maybe even later. Still really early.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think it falls somewhere on the spectrum between Tomas Hyka and Nathan Walker.

Like Hyka, Tkachev got a lot of attention by attending an NHL camp and not looking out of place. But in the end, Hyka still ended up going in the 6th round the following year.

But I think the Oilers will do what the Capitals did with Walker. They'll be the team that drafts him, but in an earlier round than would be expected. Right now Tkachev is pegged to go in the 3rd round, so I'll say the Oilers take him in the second round.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Late 2nd to mid 3rd. But who knows he may have an absolutely incredible season that pushes him up even higher, all eyes will be on him now after this debacle.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
People are way off with these 2nd-3rd round predictions (that are based on the Oilers reaching for him). Any reasonable Oiler fan had him pegged as a long shot to make an NHL impact and saw him more as an organizational depth guy (and no, this isn't revisionist theory or hindsight after the contract was voided, you can check the Tkachev threads). On a team with Yakupov and Eberle already on the wings, you don't make a 5'8 141 lb winger a priority or part of your long term plans.

Excellent skill and ability to process the game, but beyond redundant on our team. This draft is said to be the deepest in a decade or so, possibly the closest thing we'll see to the 2003 draft. An undersized skill guy who went undrafted in a weaker draft isn't going to sky rocket to high end status based on an impressive showing in pre-season. Maybe 5th round or later, but it wouldn't surprise me if he passed through 2015 as well.

For the Oil, I wouldn't want to use a pick on him until the 6th round. If he's gone before that, congrats to the team that gets him, he's very skilled and a good boom/bust prospect. It just doesn't make sense for us to use an early draft pick on a guy that would likely never see regular NHL action with us. Now with that said, a team with good size and grit but lacking skill might value him higher and reach a bit. I just don't see it though, this draft is too strong. I'll stick with 5th round (at best).

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
He'll go in the 3rd round to Washington and become the best player in the game, and beat the Oilers 5 years down the line, in the finals to capture the Cup - win the Conn Smyth. Making it, the dumbest organization error in Oil history but Mactavish will still be employed by the Oilers.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
I think anything from 2nd round to undrafted is possible right now. Really depends on how his season in the QMJHL goes. Still shocked though he went undrafted last year.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Keep in mind before the draft he only played 20 games in NA. Now that teams have seen what he can do at the NHL level while most 18 year olds were already back at juniors -the game changes. Potential 1st round player. A good WJC will go a long way, also its undoubtful that him and Barbashev are going to feast in the Q this season.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would guess 4th-6th. I do not think he will go undrafted again unless he has a lousy year. 3rd would not surprise. 2nd would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad