LW/RW Nikolay Goldobin (2014, 27th, SJS; 2017 trade, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this kids game will transition well to the NHL.

He's highly skilled, but I don't think he's highly skilled enough to offset his high risk/little focus on defense type of play.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this kids game will transition well to the NHL.

He's highly skilled, but I don't think he's highly skilled enough to offset his high risk/little focus on defense type of play.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

That's what he gets for choosing NA over home. Will probably spend another 2 useless years in the minors to become useless in any league.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's falling further and further, and losing his spot each and every passing day. Too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL. Usually, that means a career overseas.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He's falling further and further, and losing his spot each and every passing day. Too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL. Usually, that means a career overseas.

He's not too good for the AHL, last year to end the year, even though he scored some goals, his game in the AHL was not good at all. His problem isn't defense, it's the lack of offensive tempo and strength on the puck, bad decisions at times as well. Too often not even in the play.

He's still a young guy, 2014 pick, I say let him develop in the AHL and see what he becomes. Speed and strength will help him. Right now he's not an NHL player, but he does have the scorer's touch, including a blistering and lightning quick release on his shot, and some decent hands and creativity.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Too bad. Looks like Sharks roasted Benning

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Was not a fan of this trade from day 1. Goldobin is soft as butter, and is utterly atrocious on the defensive side of the game. Doesn't give a crap about defense at all.

I think he will be in the KHL in a year.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He still has excellent offensive skill and has put up 2 points in 3 games in the pre-season. The overall traded ended up being Goldobin, Petrus Palmu, and Kristoff Gunnarsson for Hansen.

Palmu might make this trade worthwhile.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Fair value for the assets involved. We weren't going to get a sure-fire high end prospect for Hansen. A boom or bust skilled forward prospect is pretty much what I was expecting and pretty much exactly what we got.

The picks were a bonus and maybe they'll work out.

I'm not sure what people were expecting in return for Hansen? You're not getting a Keller or a Chabot for someone like Hansen.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Was not a fan of this trade from day 1. Goldobin is soft as butter, and is utterly atrocious on the defensive side of the game. Doesn't give a crap about defense at all.

I think he will be in the KHL in a year.

But honestly, come on.. why does the defensive side always matter? The game needs to focus sometimes on players and their strengths. Pierre Maguire, while most hate him, is a very very smart guy. He talked about Goldy one day and could not have said it better. Obviously not verbatim but went on to say that when you're that immensely skilled, you grow up with the puck all the time; never chasing it. The kid always had the puck, he never had to learn to get it back. He never had to play responsible hockey (until probably Jrs but lets be honest, that didnt happen either).

Either play tough love with him, sit his ass down with Travis and mgmt and tell him to play harder 2-way.. or.. you just need to sometimes say screw it and play him with guys who will do just that - back check and get the puck. If you toss him with two work-horses like Horvat and whoever you deem practical, let him do his magic offensively.. Let him gain that confidence.

Would nuck fans really give a **** if he was a 30g 30a player and had -10? If so, send him to detroit for a bucket of pucks.. we'll gladly deal with that issue.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Poirier-Goldobin swap in typical prospect cycling between nucks and flames? Or Wotherspoon?

Seems to work most often in the canucks favor but meh willing to roll the dice again!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
That's what he gets for choosing NA over home. Will probably spend another 2 useless years in the minors to become useless in any league.

I'm curious why you think this only happens with Russians...

Because North America and Western Europe are relatively similar, the transition isn't drastic. Russia on the other hand.

For that same reason I wouldn't advise some junior aged Swede, or Canadian, or whoever to drop everything they know and go develop in Russia, even if their objective was making the KHL. It's a recipe for disaster.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm curious why you think this only happens with Russians...

I am curious where did you find that in my posts?

I don't care if and who else fails or not. I am only interested in the development of Russians. And most other nations' players don't have the option of the development inthe russian system, so why should I compare to them.

What I know is that Russians who go to NA early and dedicate themselves to that development path usually fail. Regardless of the discussion why that happens you have to acknowledge the fact.

Goldobin is just another coin to the bin. a talented guy once simply wastes precious time.

Let's have a look at his WJC team forwards.

Buchnevich, Leschenko, Sharov, Golyshev, Bryukvin are pros by now. All chose to develop at home.

The only semi-success story on the other side of the pond is Barbashev. Kamenev, Tolchinskiy dwelling in the minors in NA.

Mamin chose to cross the pond this year. That's not early, but I doubt he will gain from it. Should have stayed in Russia for another year or two.

Only two forwards from the group that develop in Russia are in the minors. Dergachev and Fischenko. But they were 4th liners on that team to begin with. And Goldobin was a supposed scoring threat.

So if you have any signficant proof that developing in NA benefits Russians I am eager to see it.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
in some interview this offseason he crapped all over russia and gushed about how he loves himself in na. he's not going to play in the khl any time soon.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
little harsh.. can has a ton of potential and can still turn it around. not sure why people are writing him off already, very asinine.

Probably most of the people writing him off are from the Canucks board..Par for the course...If there's no 'instant gratification' from player X,..there's obviously no hope for him...

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Nifty. If all Goldobin does is create depth and competition then what more could the Canucks ask for... Hansen is a top-9 forward and the Canucks have already replaced his ice time with more-offensive type players of arguably equal value in Vanek & Gagner. The depth at both wings is suddenly looking good. If Hansen-at-RW is what needs replacing, wouldn't you say it's already been done? Guys like Boeser and Virtanen beat Goldobin for a roster spot essentially... They're taking up the "young dynamic forward" slots on the team.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I don’t normally crap on all of our prospects (probably the opposite), but despite the nice snipe, I don’t think his game transitions to the NHL level.

He seems like a classic ‘tweener type to me: excellent at a lower level, but not quite skilled enough to play a pure skill game at the NHL level.

I hope I’m wrong, and would love to be proven wrong.

But, like a lot of posters, I’m mainly going on the ‘eye’ test, and a ‘feeling’. I’m no scout, so my opinion is about as worthless as most anyone else’s here.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Nifty. If all Goldobin does is create depth and competition then what more could the Canucks ask for... Hansen is a top-9 forward and the Canucks have already replaced his ice time with more-offensive type players of arguably equal value in Vanek & Gagner. The depth at both wings is suddenly looking good. If Hansen-at-RW is what needs replacing, wouldn't you say it's already been done? Guys like Boeser and Virtanen beat Goldobin for a roster spot essentially... They're taking up the "young dynamic forward" slots on the team.

Then why did we target another winger nearing the end of his waiver exemption status?

Hansen was an asset regardless of whether we “needed” him or not. What we got for that asset is looking very “meh” at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad