LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Laine is not being gifted anything.

Coach Maurice has commented that the team has several wingers that play both the left and right side. He will be rotating them thru the top 3 lines early in the season to se what clicks.

Little being injured in the 1st period of game 1 complicated things.

As for the jets/leafs game it is quite premature to say the Jets are a better team. Both teams are really young. Sure the Jets top veterans are better but Toronto has Babcock.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I find it interesting the development path they are taking with Laine. To me, he made the top line based on his reputation and draft position. We all know his preseason was not great, he had a good first game in the third period, okay yesterday.

I'm not sure what he has done to justify getting top line minutes over the other guys? As a comparison to this draft Matthews made the team and got put on the 3rd line, Poolparty is on the third line, Juo back to juniors, etc.

It's not like they have poor depth to need him there. I for one feel this must piss off a few of the guys who have been there for a while and cannot be good for a competitive culture.

I feel he is being "gifted" his chances.

He started in the 3rd line and earned his way up to 1st line because the first line looked much better with him in it. You play the hot players together. That's how they made the comeback. Laine was a big part in it, so how is he gifted anything?

Players with great hockey sense need others like them to really shine, you have to have people who read the game at a similar speed and see the ice the way you do, recognize the proper position and then fill that space on the ice.

He SHOULD be used in their first PP and I'm sure this will be fixed in the near future because their first PP doesn't work at all like it should, and Laine is (crazy to say it in a team with Buff and Wheeler) their biggest threat on PP. He needs to be out there the bulk of those PP minutes, so far he has not been.

There's nothing wrong with Laine in 1st line. He has already shown that he can hang with them and is not a liability, and raises the level of their play too. If he was a liability then I'd see a reason to drop him down in the lineup, but this is the development path they have chosen for him...and it's a testament to his natural ability that they feel he is ready for 1st line right out of the gate. People his age usually can't do that.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Jets fans: Looking forward to our game. Should be a fun one. You guys always have the craziest barn.

Have a feeling that Rielly will have his hands full with Wheeler and Scheifele, those guys have looked deadly for a long time now going back to last season.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
I find it interesting the development path they are taking with Laine. To me, he made the top line based on his reputation and draft position. We all know his preseason was not great, he had a good first game in the third period, okay yesterday.

I'm not sure what he has done to justify getting top line minutes over the other guys? As a comparison to this draft Matthews made the team and got put on the 3rd line, Poolparty is on the third line, Juo back to juniors, etc.

It's not like they have poor depth to need him there. I for one feel this must piss off a few of the guys who have been there for a while and cannot be good for a competitive culture.

According to Maurice, the kids will take turns on the 1st line.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

He started on the third line. He got promoted to the first line because... Hm, I'm not sure why? Maybe because he played so well and doing so benefited the team?

He's not even on the first PP unit... yet he has the only PP goal of the team.

Over these two games, his 5v5 corsi is 55.77% - the highest on the team. When he's not on the ice, his team's 5v5 corsi is 32.93%.

According to Maurice, the kids will take turns on the 1st line.

This too.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level

I don't see why this stuff should affect Jets' coaching decisions in any way :dunno:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Why am I not surprised by this? :laugh: :laugh:
x player played 17:37 on his 1st game, that's not 3rd line minutes.

He wasn't gifted anything, he started with Connor& Perreault, he earned his 1st line by job by his 2 point 3rd period. Not to mention injury to Little changed their plans.

Maurice has said he will play Laine all over the lineup, #3Rw to #1Lw.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why am I not surprised by this? :laugh: :laugh:
x player played 17:37 on his 1st game, that's not 3rd line minutes.

He wasn't gifted anything, he started with Connor& Perreault, he earned his 1st line by job by his 2 point 3rd period. Not to mention injury to Little changed their plans.

Maurice has said he will play Laine all over the lineup, #3Rw to #1Lw.

The injury to Little has forced some juggling no doubt. As for Laine playing on the #1 line. I think Maurice has it right. He has 3 young talented wingers that earned their spots on the Jets this year to choose from. I know watching the first 2 games of the year. Laine has played well enough to earn a spot with Wheeler and Scheifele. Regardless any line he is on, if it is Perrault's he will be fine. But too bad Little is out. Would have set the lines better.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Another line I would not mind seeing is perhaps Laine with Ehlers and Perrault. Maybe to split up the scoring. 2 puck hounds with Laine may be interesting.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I'm looking forward to the game on Wednesday because I'm addicted to the Leafs and Connor is one of my favorite prospects.

It's going to be unbearable if Laine/Matthews gets a few points and the other doesn't.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
It's pretty common to start an elite winger prospect on the top line with the team's best player to mentor them. See Detroit with Larkin as an example.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We need to keep in mind that Laine is only 18 ;):sarcasm:

Yep, he will be from start to finish of the regular season. Most of us are excited to see what he can do this year as a 18 year old. Even more so, when he is 19 next season when players usually benefit from an extra year.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
om nom, cheesecake

Matthews toi isn't indicative of being a 3rd liner, which really shouldn't be given his skill level, which clearly adapted quickly to the NHL Game. How this relates to Laine who plays better with better offensive players or Pulju (who should be in the Ahl) is beyond me.

Last edited:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I think Laine should play with a shorter stick. It seems way too long in some situations.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
The guy seems to rarely even have the puck on ES, pretty hard to score when you don't have the puck to shoot. Jets might be better off playing him on the 3rd line against weaker competition than with Scheifele.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Watched a bit of the game, Jets PP is awful.

No one manages to get a pass over to Laine.

They really need to stop using Myers& Buff as the shooters, them trying to shoot past 3 players is not going to work.

They have one of the best shooters in the league yet they don't use him, and it's not even because he doesn't have space.
He's open constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad