LW Michael Dal Colle (2014, 5th, NYI)

PantherStriker

Jul 31, 2010
Just a filthy player this year. He's dominating, and could definitely win the O scoring race if he keeps up this pace. I said top 15 in my first post in this thread, but he could likely go top 5 depending on team needs.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Best player in the draft ....won't go 1st, but should. Won't make the jr team, but should.

I agree that he is perhaps the best player in the draft come June, perhaps he should go first come June, and perhaps should make the WJC. However, I do think he has a pretty good chance of going first if he keeps this up, especially if he makes the WJC which I also think he has a good chance. He's linemates with Laughton who's virtually a lock, so if he has a good camp with Laughton, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Does he have the mental makeup to play C at the pro level? How's his physical game?

Somewhat reminds me of Vanek. Big, but not imposing. ...skill is evident. Like all good scorers the puck follows him around the ice. Great prospect......and in all honesty, he should stay on the wing. Would look good on the wing with Foligno and one of Hodgson/Grig down the middle

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Does he have the mental makeup to play C at the pro level? How's his physical game?

No, because he is a wing now and his game seems very well suited for it. This is like the Taylor Hall at C all over again. He is a great winger so why try to switch him to centre. Ever since Laughton came back I don't think MDC has played a shift there and I'm sure he's loving every second of it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yup, the similarities are quite scary imo.

Good to see I am not alone, watching the game on Saturday I all I could think about was how similar he looks to Alex out there, he even celebrates the same. I've never once seen Gally used as a comparible either.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Mental makeup, the way he thinks the game, his playmaking skills, positioning is outstanding. He offers alot. His skating has grown a ton in the last 2 years. Dal Colle has always played C as a minor hockey player and always showed up huge for his Vaughn Kings team. In championship or playoff games he was always involved in making a difference for his team with solid dangerous shifts and point producer. I believe he goes back to C as some point in his career. Not sure how his draws are but the chemistry with his linemates is one reason not to tinker with anything right now. Physical is average, never going to be a viscious hitter but it doesnt matter. He doesnt get pushed off the puck. He should be 6-2 200 in a few yrs. He possibly had to think the game a bit more a few yrs ago as his skating was a step behind but now he is a solid skater to add to his strong mind game.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Mental makeup, the way he thinks the game, his playmaking skills, positioning is outstanding. He offers alot. His skating has grown a ton in the last 2 years. Dal Colle has always played C as a minor hockey player and always showed up huge for his Vaughn Kings team. In championship or playoff games he was always involved in making a difference for his team with solid dangerous shifts and point producer. I believe he goes back to C as some point in his career. Not sure how his draws are but the chemistry with his linemates is one reason not to tinker with anything right now. Physical is average, never going to be a viscious hitter but it doesnt matter. He doesnt get pushed off the puck. He should be 6-2 200 in a few yrs. He possibly had to think the game a bit more a few yrs ago as his skating was a step behind but now he is a solid skater to add to his strong mind game.

If Laughton wasn't sent back he would of been making that transition back already

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
If Laughton wasn't sent back he would of been making that transition back already

Even at the start of the season with Laughton still in Philly, Dal Colle played wing with Josh Sterk as his Centre. He said the coaching staff like him better on wing. Have to say, they've obviously been right.

Sure things could have been different without Laughton. A losing streak for the team could have seen DC tried at Centre. But I think he'll be a winger long term.

If he keeps this up I hope he gets an invite to WJC camp. Doubtful he makes the team unless he is head and shoulders above others in camp, but even the camp experience would be great for him.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Even at the start of the season with Laughton still in Philly, Dal Colle played wing with Josh Sterk as his Centre. He said the coaching staff like him better on wing. Have to say, they've obviously been right.

Sure things could have been different without Laughton. A losing streak for the team could have seen DC tried at Centre. But I think he'll be a winger long term.

If he keeps this up I hope he gets an invite to WJC camp. Doubtful he makes the team unless he is head and shoulders above others in camp, but even the camp experience would be great for him.

He was getting the odd shift at centre but the Sterk addiction really helps the gens, agreed on the losing streak part(which would of portably happened without laughts.)I hope hockey Canada is getting away from taking the oldest players, time and time again we have been burned by this. Not saying he should make it or anything but should warrant a nice long look.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Is the the kind of player who can largely impact a game even if he's not scoring?

Yes. He is an impact player. He can make any kind of pass, in any kind of situation, with any amt of opponents swarming him. He's one of the best in puck retrieval and maintaining.

The amount of scoring chances he creates in a single game are unbelievable.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Another goal and a helper last night. climbed to #2 in the OHL scoring race, the kid is dynamite. It's really close, but I think I'd take him #1 over both Reinhart and Ekblad. Unless you're either Philly or the Oilers... then obviously they have to take the stud d-man Ekblad.

MDC should be on the world junior team.. but as a previous poster already wrote, probably will be left off for a lesser player who's 2 years older. Not sure if he'll get to suit up for the U18 in April, but a line of MDC McDavid Barzal would be rather deadly at that tournament.

PantherStriker

Jul 31, 2010
Another goal and a helper last night. climbed to #2 in the OHL scoring race, the kid is dynamite. It's really close, but I think I'd take him #1 over both Reinhart and Ekblad. Unless you're either Philly or the Oilers... then obviously they have to take the stud d-man Ekblad.

MDC should be on the world junior team.. but as a previous poster already wrote, probably will be left off for a lesser player who's 2 years older. Not sure if he'll get to suit up for the U18 in April, but a line of MDC McDavid Barzal would be rather deadly at that tournament.

Oh god the prospect of that is mind blowing. Really rattled that MDC didnt make the world juniors though

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Dal Colle is the number 1 player in the draft. I've been saying this for awhile. He's the most likely to be a franchise player.

He'll probably go 3-5 though since people seem to be in love with the idea of Reinhart and Ekblad in the top 2 for whatever reason.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Is he the next Milan Lucic?

No, does not bang and crash like that and has better offensive skill

Best comparison I can think of off the top of my head is Corey Perry (other than Perry being a righty). I compared him to Daniel Sedin earlier in this thread but I think Perry is a bit more fitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad