WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
We smoked them in the regular season and I have a lot of faith in the defensive system against Edmonton because they stifled them in the last game of the season (albeit without McBaby). With that said, I get why the team is the underdog given recent play, and we probably need to grind out 1 goal wins if Pettersson isn't going.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Very curious to see how the Oilers stand up to Vancouver's physicality, especially on the blueline. Will be amplified if it's a game where not many penalties are called. They looked frustrated by it in the last game we played, and that was without their biggest whiner as well.

Vancouver got away with not playing their best hockey against Nashville with half the guys MIA - that can't happen against the Oilers, or the series will be over quick. Luckily, the way the Oilers "defend" has played right into how the Canucks like to score all year, which gives me confidence that the guys will bounce back offensively.

Curious to see how Silovs holds up next round. Loved the way he's played to end the series, but the Oilers are a different animal. Would be a lot more confident if Demko was in net the whole way through. Casey is a solid fall-back option though, he's played well against the Oilers all season, particularly because the way the Oilers throw everything at the net plays very well to his strength in goal.

Definitely the underdog this round despite home ice advantage with the current form of half the forward group & missing Demko, but there's a lot of opportunity to exploit the Oilers systems (as we saw throughout the year) to turn the series in our favor.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
way too many things need to go right for van to have a chance in this series

but you never know. i made a stupid list of things allvin needed to do and he did like 80-90% of it and improved the team and people scoffed at it for being unrealistic (it was, but that’s what we needed to have a good season so similar logic applies here

pettersson from 13 months ago appears
mikheyev from two years ago appears
that third line finds consistency because they were in and out of form (mostly bad) in this series
hronek wakes up and stops putting donuts up
we don’t get killed on the special teams goal diff in the series
get back to having consistent threatening offensive shifts
our goalies significantly outplay skinner. like very significantly

i have the oilers in 5 here
LOL.

They have the two best players (arguably) in the league.

We have better goaltending (even without Demko)
We have 4 better lines (unless McD and Drais are on the same line), in which case it is three much better lines.
We have better defense.
We won all four regs. You can make a bunch of arguments....but we won all four.

Want to put money on it? I'll put up to $10K on the Canucks if you give me 15% odds.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I REALLY hate this new rando chick doing the national anthem and pandering to the crowd with the "Sing the lyrics cuz you are so amped up BS".

The reason the crowd USED to sing was because the singer poured a ton of passion into it, connected with the crowd, took cues from the crowds response and ended with a godly high note.

Singing half the song and then basically waving the microphone and make the crowd feel socially and moraly responsible for your outcome is NOT cool.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I REALLY hate this new rando chick doing the national anthem and pandering to the crowd with the "Sing the lyrics cuz you are so amped up BS".

The reason the crowd USED to sing was because the singer poured a ton of passion into it, connected with the crowd, took cues from the crowds response and ended with a godly high note.

Singing half the song and then basically waving the microphone and make the crowd feel socially and moraly responsible for your outcome is NOT cool.
At least it's better than that obnoxious dude who sings the American anthem, IMO. I'm just glad we don't have to watch/listen to him this round.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.

You're supposed to mute the national anthems. I bet the Swedes, Russians, Latvians etc.. Love listening to the Canadian and USA anthems night in and night out.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Special teams will be key in this series.

Stay out of the box - don't let them get score on the PP. PK will continue to have to be sharp for us. Oilers have scored almost half (9!) of their 22 of the goals on the PP.
On the flip side our PP will absolutely have to come through for us.

If the Canucks can do both, they will have more than a shot at beating the Oilers.

I think this could be where Lindholm shines - he's big, smart, a great matchup guy and good in the dot. I wonder if he goes up again Draisaitl and Miller gets McDavids line. That leaves Petey against the 3rd Oilers line

Reactions: Killer Orcas

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Special teams will be key in this series.

Stay out of the box - don't let them get score on the PP. PK will continue to have to be sharp for us.
On the flip side our PP will absolutely have to come through for us.

If the Canucks can do that they will have more than a shot at beating the Oilers
Yep. Do not take penalties. They cannot afford it this round.

It's going to be very tough. They'll have to maintain their commitment to a low-event, grindy game to slow down the Oilers, like they did Nashville. Obviously the weapons the Oilers have are much more deadly though.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Oilers will take penalty's knowing the refs will look to even it up.

Scoring on the PP will be more important than the kills. Have to mostly match them.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
May just come down to how the games are officiated.

If they "let them play" it's in our favour. If they're gonna call all the hooks, holds and cross-checks they see, Oilers will feast. Our PK was great vs Nashville but they don't have the weapons EDM has.

I really don't have a good feel for this series. We dominated in the regular season but those games were mostly before the Oilers turned their season around. Playoffs are a different beast in general anyway.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So I think we can take the Oilers by just grinding them down in the neutral zone.

Big key - F2/F3 not chasing the forecheck and instead funnel and then back pressure on guys like McDavid. Key reason being that speed is one of our weaknesses, if F2/F3 aren't in the neutral zone then they're just going to turnstile Cole and Meyers, maybe even Soucy and Zads.

We can counter a lot easier off the Oilers because they're not as structured. This will get our better players into the game more so than against Nashville, who also ground us down but on the forecheck and in our own zone.

Again, Tocchet has to adjust if necessary. I don't know if Edmonton is forechecking all that hard, haven't had time to watch them.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006

New? She's been a part of singing for 10 years here

I was really intrigued to see if she was gonna do it at game 1 and I'm happy she did

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
So I think we can take the Oilers by just grinding them down in the neutral zone.

Big key - F2/F3 not chasing the forecheck and instead funnel and then back pressure on guys like McDavid. Key reason being that speed is one of our weaknesses, if F2/F3 aren't in the neutral zone then they're just going to turnstile Cole and Meyers, maybe even Soucy and Zads.

We can counter a lot easier off the Oilers because they're not as structured. This will get our better players into the game more so than against Nashville, who also ground us down but on the forecheck and in our own zone.

Again, Tocchet has to adjust if necessary. I don't know if Edmonton is forechecking all that hard, haven't had time to watch them.

Both you and @WTG are optimistic about this series and that in turn makes ME more optimistic.

Perhaps I'm selling our team a bit short, but I'm having a tough time seeing us win this series unless we somehow level up our play across the board.

Maybe I'm not giving Nashville enough credit for their defensive game, because our offense looked so neutered against them, which just won't fly against the Oilers; who by the way are much more better defensively than we give them credit for.

I hope the refs just swallow their whistles and let us play because that'll allow our "small D" to impose their will on the games.

buttman must be in shambles rn

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I’ve said we could probably be one of the toughest matchups for the Oilers, but that’s with everyone at 100%. I wouldn’t say we are the favourites by any stretch but it may be even more fun because of that. This season has been a revelation.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Oilers fan here, I’m not “coming in peace” or wishing you luck, just curious because I missed the series. Was Nashville a team that pressured you guys lots? I heard that there were alot of hits in your series. Kane and Henrique are both battling injuries, besides Demko how are you guys doing injury wise? EP seemed quiet in the last series.

Reactions: Indiana

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Oilers fan here, I’m not “coming in peace” or wishing you luck, just curious because I missed the series. Was Nashville a team that pressured you guys lots? I heard that there were alot of hits in your series. Kane and Henrique are both battling injuries, besides Demko how are you guys doing injury wise? EP seemed quiet in the last series.

Choked the lanes, blocked everything in zone. One game the Canucks had 80 shot attempts and registered 18 shots. Canucks have numerous injuries but Demko is the only one not playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad