LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) -"Gaudreaumania III: Live On PPV"

Status
Not open for further replies.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
I am of the same opinion. Gaudreau is adjusting right now, but I think that adjustment could have been in the AHL.

I don't think so. The AHL is a league tailor made for slow small guys with some skill.. I don't think he would get anything worthwhile out of it. Its time to boom or bust for Gaudreau

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I don't think so. The AHL is a league tailor made for slow small guys with some skill.. I don't think he would get anything worthwhile out of it. Its time to boom or bust for Gaudreau

meh.. name me one player that's been "ruined" for being in the AHL too long.

Sven was no different and his leash was even shorter last year. Most Flames fans would agree that Sven played pretty well with Monahan and Hudler to start the year. He created chances here and there like Johnny is.

One thing Johnny has going for him though is that he is hustling on defense, unlike Sven last year. I'm sure Hartley appreciates that.

At the same time though Sven was much improved in that department at training camp this year. I think we'll see Sven called up around the 15 game mark

P10p

May 15, 2012
meh.. name me one player that's been "ruined" for being in the AHL too long.

Sven was no different and his leash was even shorter last year. Most Flames fans would agree that Sven played pretty well with Monahan and Hudler to start the year. He created chances here and there like Johnny is.

One thing Johnny has going for him though is that he is hustling on defense, unlike Sven last year. I'm sure Hartley appreciates that.

At the same time though Sven was much improved in that department at training camp this year. I think we'll see Sven called up around the 15 game mark

Maxim Noreau imo...

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Not sure about sending him down quite yet, although I do expect him to play 20-30 games down this year, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him sit out for a game or two and take a breather, kids gotta be tired, definitely not used to this workload

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not sure about sending him down quite yet, although I do expect him to play 20-30 games down this year, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him sit out for a game or two and take a breather, kids gotta be tired, definitely not used to this workload

I would really hope he's not tired after just 4 games.. what's he going to be like after 60 games?

WKFan

Jan 6, 2008
Gaudreau

The NHL's a big jump and its that much bigger for a small skilled player that needs to figure out how to be effective at the top level without the time and space they had to work with at the prev level where everything seemed to go their way. Happens a lot but best and most recent parallel I can think of for an under-sized player is Granlund in Minnesota. Hype out the wazoo for his rookie year, expectations elevated that much more for an immediate impact because of a big World Championship. Then hit a brick wall in year 1 in the NHL, lot of reactionary people wrote him off as not a big league player. By year two he started to put it together and now he's centring arguably one of the top lines in the league on a Cup contender.

It's real early so Gaudreau might put it together sooner, but worth also noting that Granlund ended up getting sent to the AHL for a good chunk of that season. It was just another step in development and if it happened to Gaudreau I hope knee-jerk folks don't write him off until there's been a legit chance to learn and adapt to the big league game.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He doesn't look like he's going to be a NHL regular in his future. Only 1 shot in 3 games...

His minutes are down and he's playing with Colborne and Raymond, which isn't exactly a high-octane line.

I think he's also not playing on the PP at the moment.

The Flames are just trying to go slow with him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Also, people need to take note that for most of his shifts this season, he was in the defensive zone and never really got a chance to show some offense. By the time they got it out of the zone, his shift was over.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He needs to go to AHL asap. So small and so not ready for NHL. I have always said he needs AHL time for a few years atleast but I got ragged on bigtime for saying that. He is way too small for the NHL and needs to figure out how he will be able to play against men. Everyone was so excited in preseason when he played well against every teams young guys(AHL, junior and some NHL regulars)... and fans should be excited, but it was pretty obvious he wouldn't do nearly that well vs. teams top players. Let him develop for a while in AHL and see how he does. I am still predicting he will be in Europe in about 5 years unfortunately(making a ton of cash over there which is great for him)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's looked good at times tonight. Just walked right past Kjalmarasson. He needs some more ice time and O zone starts.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
He needs the AHL. That's not a slight.

He looks a lot like Nyquist in his first stint. You can see the potential, but he's just not ready for the NHL yet.

Of course, Calgary might be fine with letting him get ready for it in the NHL even if he's not contributing to a whole lot.

Last edited:

KGM

Oct 10, 2014
Despite not getting on the scoreboard tonight against the Hawks, I thought he had a fantastic game. Was more responsible defensively than the last few games, and generated more than a few quality chances offensively.

It'll take some time for his game to translate, but I have no doubt that it will. Extremely smart, extremely skilled player.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
i would also say that Johnny has been getting shadowed by some more experienced, less talented players so far too. I think maybe a dozen games or so may get him past his growing pains and into his comfort zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille