LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) -"Gaudreaumania III: Live On PPV"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think the problem with what you're saying is you seem to be reading selectively.

The vast majority of discussion about Gaudreau here over three threads has been about his size. Then you show up and toss out a "why isn't anyone talking about his size" type comment. Just seemed kind of odd and like you haven't been paying attention to the overall discussion at all.

No, the poster that I quoted is the one I'm commenting on because I've seen the "too small to play" BS comment from him about RNH before. And in case you couldn't tell I'm being completely sarcastic about the size thing. I think it's absolutely ridiculous when you have guys like St. Louis, Giroux, Eberle, Pavelski etc.. doing just fine at their size. Gaudreau is one of those players that's either going to boom or turn out like Gerbe (another former college star that had hype) and most of it is because he really came out of no where. You're really just going to have to wait and see. The "he's the real deal/plays like Datsyuk" discussion is very premature.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The thread is still about Gaudreau, hence how I brought a point up about Gaudreau's size. Is it not a fair point? The general consensus is that a guy like RNH who weighs like 175-180 is going to get crushed in our division.. It seems to be a huge problem on HF.

Its actually quite simple. Johnny is extremely elusive, slippery and shifty. RNH is none of those things.

PZA*

No, the poster that I quoted is the one I'm commenting on because I've seen the "too small to play" BS comment from him about RNH before. And in case you couldn't tell I'm being completely sarcastic about the size thing. I think it's absolutely ridiculous when you have guys like St. Louis, Giroux, Eberle, Pavelski etc.. doing just fine at their size. Gaudreau is one of those players that's either going to boom or turn out like Gerbe (another former college star that had hype) and most of it is because he really came out of no where. You're really just going to have to wait and see. The "he's the real deal/plays like Datsyuk" discussion is very premature.

Gaudreau is a boom or bust pick... really?!?!? I haven't heard that one before.

Again, Gaudreau being compared to Gerbe has been pointed out several times, but is a not a solid comparison considering they are both different type of players, and Gaudreau arguably is the more talented player. Only thing similar is their size, and BC connection. Many BC fans who have watched both during their time in college confirmed this.

I have yet to see anyone state that Gaudreau will have the same point production as Datsyuk. Gaudreau certainly has some elements of Datsyuk's game, which is fair.

Gaudreau is one of most exciting prospects in the game right now. I would imagine you would understand why people are excited for a prospect with his talent considering you practically lived for the draft as an Oiler fan for last several years.

All of your arguments add nothing new to the discussion in this thread. You're just reiterating what has been pointed out 1000000000x in the previous threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Fair enough. Part of me agrees with what you're saying and the other part is overshadowed by these comparisons being tossed around.

I think maybe you(and likely the majority of this board) are often reading a little too much into comparisons made by anonymous internet posters about the unquantifiable(read: at this stage) characteristics of a hockey player's skill set, playing style, PPG potential, band aid likelihood, and how much general superstarness an NHL PROSPECT does or doesn't possess after 1 game in the NHL. Johnny is by no means alone in this phenomena, but after all it's an message board geared toward these discussions so it's absolutely fair game to call him the next Gretzky if that's your opinion.

Speculation just happens to be a favourite hobby of the internet, and whether a small kid big heart out of Jersey can be a major cog in turning around a flailing but profitable Canadian hockey team seems like as decent subject as any.

As a Flames fan I'm stoked on Johnny, anything less than a real productive Top liner would disappoint me, not only because the numbers used to speculate on these things say that's where he fits, but also because I'm as emotionally attached to my hockey team as I was to my childhood dog.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Style wise, I would say Patrick Kane or Denis Savard... or Kent Nilsson when he tried.

Gaudreau is a smart player for sure, but Gretzky had vision and a head for the game that is unparalleled.

Denis Savard is the closest imo. Gaudreau is up there as far as skill level goes with him, same with Kane.

Just A Retool

Mgmt Sunnyvale Style
Oct 24, 2013
Isla Verde
You obviously haven't watched RNH

I watch about 35 full Oilers games a season because my wife is a diehard Oiler and I wouldn't say that Nuge is exceptionally shifty at all. He is shifty enough to not get leveled all of the time, which in his case is all that is necessary for him.

There is no contest when you compare shiftiness and elusiveness between Nuge and Gaudreau. However, it doesn't matter because of their different playing styles. Gaudreau uses his shiftiness to attack on the rush and head towards the net so he needs to be very shifty, while Nuge is a player who tends to buy time using open ice looking to set someone else up so he doesn't necessarily need to elude players as much as be spatially aware.

Neither players are bruisers and neither will ever be, but they both have all of the necessary tools to be exceptional players. That said I am not sure why Nuge is even part of this discussion.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I've watched him get nailed enough times to know that its true. If it was untrue he wouldnt be plagued with injuries.

RNH has missed around 10 games in the last 2 seasons combined
That doesn't mean he is plagued with injuries :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am looking forward to Gaudreau being in the league. I think I will put the Flames on my list of teams to see when they visit the MTS centre just to take a look at the kid live. Those highlights are pretty electric. Is it a given that he will make the team out of camp?

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I am looking forward to Gaudreau being in the league. I think I will put the Flames on my list of teams to see when they visit the MTS centre just to take a look at the kid live. Those highlights are pretty electric. Is it a given that he will make the team out of camp?

Not at all. Wouldnt surprise me if he spends some time in the AHL. However if he is extremely good in camp, I cant see how they can justify it. Its on him.

stardefender*

Is it a given that he will make the team out of camp?

It's not. The Flames new GM was quoted last week as saying that while Gaudreau has been exceeding their expectations playing against men / NHLers at the Worlds, he cautioned everyone that "It's a process, and Guadreau is at the beginning of said process". Went on to say everyone should temper their expectations going into camp this September. Reading between the lines he was saying it will be totally up to Johnny where he ends up starting the season (meaning he could be cut if he looks like he needs more time).

With all of that said, Gaudreau has done nothing but be the best player on the ice in almost every game he's played in the past couple years. This includes last year's Flames Rookie camp in July where he showed instant chemistry with Sean Monahan and was one of the standouts of that camp.

I fully expect he'll come in and continue to dazzle in camp and will make the team. It's possible he wont and starts in the AHL, but I think he's so dynamic he'll force the Flames hand (much like Monahan did last year).

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I've watched him get nailed enough times to know that its true. If it was untrue he wouldnt be plagued with injuries.
lol. Which injury was the result of him being "nailed"? The one where he hurt his shoulder falling into the boards on his own? Or the torn labrum he had from his second year with the Rebels that finally needed to be fixed last offseason?

Just A Retool

Mgmt Sunnyvale Style
Oct 24, 2013
Isla Verde
I'm sure there are plenty of threads about Nuge that all of you Oilers fans can comment in rather than talking about him here. Some Flames posters have unrealistic expectations for Gaudreau, but you coming here trying to crap on him doesn't make him any less of an exciting prospect, in fact all it accomplishes is help to give the rest of your fan base a crap reputation.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

Gerbe comparison is very bad. Gerbe wasnt close to being as dominate as Gaudreau, Gerbe relied on his speed, Gaudreau isn't that fast he just slippery. Biggest difference is hockey sense, Gerbe didn't really have any, Gaudreau has it up the wazoo

SchultzSquared*

If it was untrue he wouldnt be plagued with injuries.

If missing two games this year is "plagued with injuries" Monahan and his seven games missed means he is a human-glass-duct tape hybrid... since that is a ridiculous sentiment you must agree yours is too... right???

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If missing two games this year is "plagued with injuries" Monahan and his seven games missed means he is a human-glass-duct tape hybrid... since that is a ridiculous sentiment you must agree yours is too... right???
he has been in the league 3 years and has missed 30 games with shoulder/upper body injuries. Don't pretend like he is the picture of health.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Apparently he has Crosby's vision, while being like Patrick Kane. :laugh:

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Did Gaudreau get traded to Edmonton? What's with all the Oilers talk?

Because some Oiler fans are worried that a flames fourth-rounder will turn out better than their handful of number ones.

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Suffering leads to Rexall Place.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Gerbe comparison is very bad. Gerbe wasnt close to being as dominate as Gaudreau, Gerbe relied on his speed, Gaudreau isn't that fast he just slippery. Biggest difference is hockey sense, Gerbe didn't really have any, Gaudreau has it up the wazoo

I don't think they're similar but I don't agree with what you say is the biggest difference. Both are smart players but Johnny is more creative. He can make something out of nothing. Gerbe offensively is more of a straight line shoot the puck/make a pass type of player. He just doesn't have Gaudreau's creativity. Especially in traffic and such.

If Gaudreau could get ripped and turn into a boulder on skates like Gerbe, while maintaining his elusiveness, that would be fun to watch :nod:

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
You obviously haven't watched RNH
I have and trust me more than I wanted too, Too lazy to search why or who decided to compare RNH to Gaudreau anyway but other than total weight they're not even close to the same type player,

RNH is a skinny 6'0 tall,175lb dynamic skater who finds open ice for himself,has great ability to find open players and has a nice accurate shot. only flaw is his corner and board work as he gets muscled off the puck more often than not. other than that...big talent but with a frame of a tall girl for now.

Gaudreau is a 5'8 tall,170lb dynamic skater who "creates" open ice because of his shiftyness and edge work on his skates, nice accurate shot and so far he continues to shock people with his ability to strip big defenders of the puck along the boards and find open teamates with lazer like passes. Like Datsyuk or even Gretzky has shown crazy ability not to get hit hard...someone said his nickname should be "ghost".

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

:laugh:

RNH has already missed 30 games with re-occurring upper-body injuries. The fact he made it through this season healthy is actually against the norm for his career thus far.

Monahan's injury was due to a slap-shotted puck off his skate, an injury that could occur to just about any player in the league.

Your comparison is as laughable as RNH's 'healthy' season. He has already had to change his game as to not be decimated game-in and game-out. Resulting in his big decrease in production.

har-har-har. :laugh:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
:laugh:

RNH has already missed 30 games with re-occurring upper-body injuries. The fact he made it through this season healthy is actually against the norm for his career thus far.

Monahan's injury was due to a slap-shotted puck off his skate, an injury that could occur to just about any player in the league.

Your comparison is as laughable as RNH's 'healthy' season. He has already had to change his game as to not be decimated game-in and game-out. Resulting in his big decrease in production.

har-har-har. :laugh:
I hate to derail the thread further but if you're going to spout nonsense about another player, then it's probably to be expected. Where in the world are you getting your information from? RNH had a torn labrum from an existing injury in Red Deer. That's why he missed eight games in 2012-13 and the first two this season, because he finally had the surgery. His other injury, also to his shoulder, was from falling on his own into the boards his rookie season, a freak thing that could happen to any player (sound familiar?). He missed twenty games because of it. Neither of these injuries were from being "nailed" like you initially said, which is what the original point was.

His game has not changed (you are thinking of Hall, and if you ask anybody, playing less reckless has worked). For as disappointing as his season was, RNH's production this past season went up compared to last, not down. Someone who claims to have watched him enough would know this or at least looked at his stats before making a bogus claim.

Now back to Gaudreau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad