LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) -"Gaudreaumania III: Live On PPV"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I think the size thing is talked about too much too. He's only half an inch shorter and only 10lbs lighter than guys like Tyler Johnson, Martin St. Louis, and Brendan Gallagher. They all had good seasons, and JG is shiftier than all of them. Hopefully he can put on a few pounds but really, I'm not worried about it.

Celery Man

Dec 4, 2013
Michigan
As someone who has heard gaudreau's name thrown around for a while now but know next to nothing about him can somebody with some knowledge on him explain to me what is it about him that has people so excited? And maybe a couple player comparisons? I'm super curious and would like to hear it from you guys.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
As someone who has heard gaudreau's name thrown around for a while now but know next to nothing about him can somebody with some knowledge on him explain to me what is it about him that has people so excited? And maybe a couple player comparisons? I'm super curious and would like to hear it from you guys.

Gretzky's awareness + Patrick Kane's stick skills in Verne Troyer's body.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

People are excited because he's put up Kariya esq numbers in a league where the days of 2+ points per game were gone, over a decade ago.
He's led team USA in scoring at both the world juniors and the men's WHC.
In his first pro game he stole the puck regularly from pros with 50lb advantages on him and scored with his first shot.

Player comparisons are hard because it's his intelligence that makes him effective and no one really plays the game the same way that he does.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Alright guys, I just spend the last 15 mins on google trying to find an answer but didn't find anything.. why is John Gaudeau nickname Johnny Hockey ?

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Alright guys, I just spend the last 15 mins on google trying to find an answer but didn't find anything.. why is John Gaudeau nickname Johnny Hockey ?

I think it was a Boston newspaper that was the first to call him that, but past that I'm not sure exactly

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

In the year that Manziel dominated the NCAA to pick up:
2012 Heisman Trophy winner (first freshman to win)
2012 Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award winner (first freshman to win)
2012 Manning Award winner (first freshman to win)
2012 First-team All-American
2012 Sporting News College Football Player of the Year
2012 SEC Offensive Player of the Year
2012 SEC Freshman of the Year
2012 All-SEC First-Team Quarterback

In that same year Johnny played parts of seasons that saw him dominate the NCAA to win
Beanpot MVP 2012 (As a freshman)
Bill Flynn Trophy – Hockey East Tournament Most Valuable Player 2012 (As a freshman)
Hockey East All-Tournament Team 2012
All-Hockey East Rookie Team 2011-12
World Junior Ice Hockey Championships All-Star 2013
Hockey East Player of the Year 2012–13
All-Hockey East First Team 2012–13
AHCA East First-Team All-American 2012–13

partly as a way to boost interest in NCAA hockey they used the nickname to show hockey also had an exciting young player to check out

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
In the year that Manziel dominated the NCAA to pick up:
2012 Heisman Trophy winner (first freshman to win)
2012 Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award winner (first freshman to win)
2012 Manning Award winner (first freshman to win)
2012 First-team All-American
2012 Sporting News College Football Player of the Year
2012 SEC Offensive Player of the Year
2012 SEC Freshman of the Year
2012 All-SEC First-Team Quarterback

In that same year Johnny played parts of seasons that saw him dominate the NCAA to win
Beanpot MVP 2012 (As a freshman)
Bill Flynn Trophy – Hockey East Tournament Most Valuable Player 2012 (As a freshman)
Hockey East All-Tournament Team 2012
All-Hockey East Rookie Team 2011-12
World Junior Ice Hockey Championships All-Star 2013
Hockey East Player of the Year 2012–13
All-Hockey East First Team 2012–13
AHCA East First-Team All-American 2012–13

partly as a way to boost interest in NCAA hockey they used the nickname to show hockey also had an exciting young player to check out

That answer my question, thanks alot ;)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Depending on who you talk to, you'll get 2 or even 3 different comparisons. Style wise, I think his closest comparison is Gretzky. He's definitely an above average skater in regards to his straight line speed. His shiftiness and edge work though are elite and as good as they come. He is extremely elusive and greasy and has an ability to make people miss when trying to hit him. This kid can dangle and deke a defenceman basically at top speed and more often than not he maintains control of the puck. His creativeness, IQ, vision and playmaking skills are as good as you could ask for in a player/prospect, honestly watch him and you'll get what I mean. He has terrific hands, and he has the ability to make passes no one else on the ice can make. This is where I relate him to #99, he's also a killer behind the net. He has a very accurate shot and more importantly he understands when to pull the trigger. Despite comments from previous posters, he's actually very smart in his own end and has a knack for taking pucks off of guys, when he doesn't have the puck, he's always in pursuit of it.

Now it sounds like I just made him out to be the next Gretzky or Crosby, but that is not the case. While I think size literally has no bearing on a players ability to put up points, because smaller players are actually harder to catch and hit, therefore they generally tend to be more elusive to bigger and slower players. However, Gaudreau's biggest obstacle will be going to the net in the NHL. Teams in the NHL are coached so well and many defences will just collapse on their opposition and put up a wall in front of the net, therefore Gaudreau may be forced to play more of a perimeter game and take the role as more of a point guard. However, he is so darn smart and opportunistic, so he will eventually find the kinks in a teams armour and break through from time to time.

Gaudreau I think will bottom out as a 50-60pt top 6 winger, think Jiri Hudler. But I could see him producing similar to Kane and becoming a PPG player within a few seasons if he hits his ceiling. I do not think he will be the next Gretzky or Crosby, but I absolutely believe he is capable of being a very dynamic and productive player. Either way he is a human highlight reel and will be fun for all fans to watch.

Celery Man

Dec 4, 2013
Michigan
Depending on who you talk to, you'll get 2 or even 3 different comparisons. Style wise, I think his closest comparison is Gretzky. He's definitely an above average skater in regards to his straight line speed. His shiftiness and edge work though are elite and as good as they come. He is extremely elusive and greasy and has an ability to make people miss when trying to hit him. This kid can dangle and deke a defenceman basically at top speed and more often than not he maintains control of the puck. His creativeness, IQ, vision and playmaking skills are as good as you could ask for in a player/prospect, honestly watch him and you'll get what I mean. He has terrific hands, and he has the ability to make passes no one else on the ice can make. This is where I relate him to #99, he's also a killer behind the net. He has a very accurate shot and more importantly he understands when to pull the trigger. Despite comments from previous posters, he's actually very smart in his own end and has a knack for taking pucks off of guys, when he doesn't have the puck, he's always in pursuit of it.

Now it sounds like I just made him out to be the next Gretzky or Crosby, but that is not the case. While I think size literally has no bearing on a players ability to put up points, because smaller players are actually harder to catch and hit, therefore they generally tend to be more elusive to bigger and slower players. However, Gaudreau's biggest obstacle will be going to the net in the NHL. Teams in the NHL are coached so well and many defences will just collapse on their opposition and put up a wall in front of the net, therefore Gaudreau may be forced to play more of a perimeter game and take the role as more of a point guard. However, he is so darn smart and opportunistic, so he will eventually find the kinks in a teams armour and break through from time to time.

Gaudreau I think will bottom out as a 50-60pt top 6 winger, think Jiri Hudler. But I could see him producing similar to Kane and becoming a PPG player within a few seasons if he hits his ceiling. I do not think he will be the next Gretzky or Crosby, but I absolutely believe he is capable of being a very dynamic and productive player. Either way he is a human highlight reel and will be fun for all fans to watch.

Thank you very much and I'll go ahead and go watch some of him on YouTube.

PZA*

:handclap: Pretty much the most accurate description of Gaudreau.

stardefender*

For starters:

[/QUOTE]

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Has Gaudreau missed a single game in the last 5 years?

The smaller they are, the lighter they fall.

Weird how Gaudreau can escape the size thing while a guy like Nugent-Hopkins is still being doubted because of it.

I don't get it..

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Weird how Gaudreau can escape the size thing while a guy like Nugent-Hopkins is still being doubted because of it.

I don't get it..

I know eh? I haven't seen a single person in all these threads question if Gaudreau's size will be an issue. :shakehead

Not everything is about the Oilers, man.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I know eh? I haven't seen a single person in all these threads question if Gaudreau's size will be an issue. :shakehead

Not everything is about the Oilers, man.

Ehhh a lot of people question Gaudreau's size, including Flames fans. He still is a prospect to be excited about.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Ehhh a lot of people question Gaudreau's size, including Flames fans. He still is a prospect to be excited about.

That was a sarcastic response to a what appears to be an Oilers fan feeling the need chime in about his own team

Size is all people have been talking about Gaudreau here if you haven't noticed.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I don't get it..

If Gaudreau becomes the next Nuge, a former #1 overall pick, Flames fans will be happy. Nugent Hopkins' game is picked apart, because he was the #1 overall pick. He's expected to be a PPG player with a complete game.

Gadreau was a late round pick. He's supposed to have holes.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003

I don't get it..
What's so weird about it?, Hopkins is skinny with an upper body build of a tall girl really, he still is about 6' tall and isn't a small target and gets caught from time to time.

Gaudreau is small but the difference is he's allways been the smallest player in whatever league he's played in thus has learned not to put himself in possition to get crushed. The amazing thing is he does this while still playing in the traffic areas...ala your probable hero.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The thread is still about Gaudreau, hence how I brought a point up about Gaudreau's size. Is it not a fair point? The general consensus is that a guy like RNH who weighs like 175-180 is going to get crushed in our division.. It seems to be a huge problem on HF.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If Gaudreau becomes the next Nuge, a former #1 overall pick, Flames fans will be happy. Nugent Hopkins' game is picked apart, because he was the #1 overall pick. He's expected to be a PPG player with a complete game.

Gadreau was a late round pick. He's supposed to have holes.

Fair enough. Part of me agrees with what you're saying and the other part is overshadowed by these comparisons being tossed around.

stardefender*

Fair enough. Part of me agrees with what you're saying and the other part is overshadowed by these comparisons being tossed around.

I think the problem with what you're saying is you seem to be reading selectively.

The vast majority of discussion about Gaudreau here over three threads has been about his size. Then you show up and toss out a "why isn't anyone talking about his size" type comment. Just seemed kind of odd and like you haven't been paying attention to the overall discussion at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the problem is you are misconceiving the comparisons. No one is saying Gaudreau will be as good as the players being mentioned. They are simply comparing type of play or elements of their game. They are not comparing how successful they players are or will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad