LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Everytime Gaudreau scores a highlight reel goal, someone has to say "but the team he's playing sucks".

If his opposing D is always so bad, how come no one else in the league is scoring these goals.

Im always confused by that. Did no one watch the WJ's... He made Team Canada's defence and goalie look silly too.

Aug 3, 2010
Everytime Gaudreau scores a highlight reel goal, someone has to say "but the team he's playing sucks".

If his opposing D is always so bad, how come no one else in the league is scoring these goals.

For me, it's because he always looks so good and we have an idea of his potential that I want to understand better what he is facing.

There's always two sides to a story. I'm not saying the other teams make it easy for him, I'm saying I want to know how he's not being neutralized when he's essentially a marquee player at their competition level.

The worst part of highlight reels is that they only show the entertaining stuff. I don't have a reliable way to watch any hockey games let alone USA college hockey since I'm forced to post from my phone so often, but I'd really like to see him and understand what he is like away from the puck/play.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
282-mother-of-god.jpg

Dat skill. Dat speed. His game looks so much similar to Datsyuk/Kane, highlight after highlight. I would say he will be a star in NHL, the size wont matter with those hands and speed he has.

And even if the NHL proves to be too much for him physically, I'd say he will be a superstar on big ice, like in KHL for example.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
That level of competition is too easy for him.

Wonder how would he fare against NHL defense-man

A lot of those questions will start getting answered after BC's season is done. I would expect Gaudreau to get some games in with the Flames at the end of the season. I am sure there will be an adjustment period, but we will really start to see what this kid will look like at the NHL level in a few short months.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
A lot of those questions will start getting answered after BC's season is done. I would expect Gaudreau to get some games in with the Flames at the end of the season. I am sure there will be an adjustment period, but we will really start to see what this kid will look like at the NHL level in a few short months.

How certain is it he'll leave college in his junior year? Some guys will want to get a degree before moving on.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
How certain is it he'll leave college in his junior year? Some guys will want to get a degree before moving on.

he said the reason he went back was to get stronger and play with his brother. He made it sound like it was a one year thing going back this september.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If I were Calgary (and Gaudreau indeed wants to sign after the NCAA season) I would handle him just like Winnipeg handled Trouba this past season, assuming Boston College isn't in the Frozen Four. Bring him in to practice with the big club, get acclimated to what it takes to be an NHLer, get him quality time with the strength and conditioning program, etc. For a prospect like Gaudreau, that's more important at this stage than throwing him in a few NHL games at the end of the season. Start building that foundation that he'll need to make it as an NHLer and then let him go play for Team USA at the World Championships. I imagine that would do wonders for him heading into the following NHL training camp.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007

Doubtful. If BC goes to the Frozen Four (which in all likelihood they will), they'll outlast the Flames' season.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
I'm going to get jumped all over for saying this, but he reminds me of Gretzky.
I am not saying he will become anything like the player Wayne was, but it is his style of play which is reminiscent. His play behind the net, the eyes he seems have on the back of his head, and his simple (and seemingly perfect) decision making.

If he's able to make that jump to the NHL, we'll have a heck of a player.

Last edited:

Tont

May 4, 2006
If I were Calgary (and Gaudreau indeed wants to sign after the NCAA season) I would handle him just like Winnipeg handled Trouba this past season, assuming Boston College isn't in the Frozen Four. Bring him in to practice with the big club, get acclimated to what it takes to be an NHLer, get him quality time with the strength and conditioning program, etc. For a prospect like Gaudreau, that's more important at this stage than throwing him in a few NHL games at the end of the season. Start building that foundation that he'll need to make it as an NHLer and then let him go play for Team USA at the World Championships. I imagine that would do wonders for him heading into the following NHL training camp.

Although as a fan it would be a lot of fun to see him suit up for the Flames near the end of this season, I like the sounds of this. Of course they could also send him down to the AHL, which could be the best place for him at this time.

jgoud*

Not trying to troll here but Gaudreau's size will always limit his potential. Based on world juniors, he does play like kane, but kane is 5"11 and Gaudreau is 5"7. Once he hits the NHL guys will know to just take the body. Gerbe put up 35 goals in 43 games playing for boston college, and he's not an All-Star. Transitioning to the NHL when you're that small isn't easy.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Curious as to why so many like to downplay everything this kid does.

If this was Drouin scoring these goals against a weak defence in the Q, there'd be a 30 page circle jerk on the main page.

Pretty sure it has a lot to do with being a Flames prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad