LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I don't really follow prospects as I have no means of doing so. But can someone tell me about this kid?

Jesus, he's small. :help:

5211240550_8bed030153.jpg

All I know is what I've seen on his HDb profile. 60 games played, 36 goals, 72 points, lead the team. 17 years old. 5 foot, 6 inches. Supposedly 150 lbs.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I was thinking the same thing. I honestly don't expect him to make the NHL, but the homer in me is saying the next Fleury or St. Louis. w00t! Flames won this draft with this pick.

Realistically, I doubt it.

HockeyDB has him at 141, NHL.com says 137.

piratessabres08

Jun 2, 2008
Buffalo/Detroit
I don't really follow prospects as I have no means of doing so. But can someone tell me about this kid?

Jesus, he's small. :help:

5211240550_8bed030153.jpg

All I know is what I've seen on his HDb profile. 60 games played, 36 goals, 72 points, lead the team. 17 years old. 5 foot, 6 inches. Supposedly 150 lbs.

LOL. The guy next to him looks like Mike Commodore's son
Luke Curadi
commodore.jpg

Wow. 6'5 250. standing next to 5'6. http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com/team_roster.php

Curadi%20hair%20-%20web.jpg

133616-41892.jpg

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's dynamic but tiny. He apparently just decommitted from Northeastern as well and is returning to the USHL next season. Dubuque is going to be loaded again.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
According to the report I saw, he'll be going back to Dubuque for next season and then a different college the following year.

According to his coach in Dubuque he expects him to commit and play for another college this upcoming season.

All though he did not completely rule him out for playing another year in Dubuque, saying they have discussed the possibility.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
According to his coach in Dubuque he expects him to commit and play for another college this upcoming season.

All though he did not completely rule him out for playing another year in Dubuque, saying they have discussed the possibility.

Do you have a link for that? It's certainly a possibility but Northeastern would have to release him from the NLI that Gaudreau already signed.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

He gave some wrong info in there. Gaudreau still needs to be released from his NLI that he signed with Northeastern. He can't just opt out because Cronin left but I'd expect Northeastern will release him from that NLI anyway, especially since Gaudreau's younger brother is a commit to them as well for 2013/14 if they want any chance at trying to keep him in the future.

The report today, versus the audio interview from yesterday, was from Ryan Clark, the beat reporter for the Fargo Force/USHL. He talked to Garrett Haar, a fellow Northeastern commit that said both he and Gaudreau decommitted because Cronin was the reason they were attending NU. Haar said Gaudreau is likely to return to the USHL this year (Haar was already since he wasn't scheduled to attend NU until 2012/13). The reason for this getting out in Gaudreau's case is to pressure NU to release him from his NLI. If they know he is willing play next year in the USHL then they might as well release him since they would "lose" his rights the following year regardless.

I'm interested to see the other schools that will be in play for him when he is inevitably released from his NLI.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He gave some wrong info in there. Gaudreau still needs to be released from his NLI that he signed with Northeastern. He can't just opt out because Cronin left but I'd expect Northeastern will release him from that NLI anyway, especially since Gaudreau's younger brother is a commit to them as well for 2013/14 if they want any chance at trying to keep him in the future.

The report today, versus the audio interview from yesterday, was from Ryan Clark, the beat reporter for the Fargo Force/USHL. He talked to Garrett Haar, a fellow Northeastern commit that said both he and Gaudreau decommitted because Cronin was the reason they were attending NU. Haar said Gaudreau is likely to return to the USHL this year (Haar was already since he wasn't scheduled to attend NU until 2012/13). The reason for this getting out in Gaudreau's case is to pressure NU to release him from his NLI. If they know he is willing play next year in the USHL then they might as well release him since they would "lose" his rights the following year regardless.

I'm interested to see the other schools that will be in play for him when he is inevitably released from his NLI.

Alrighty, thanks for clearing that up. :)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Alrighty, thanks for clearing that up. :)

I'd fully expect NU to release him though. I'm interested to see what schools he has in his sights. I'm sure Calgary feels he needs to work on the same things as his Dubuque coach but I wonder where they feel it's best he does that next year. If he goes the college route, he'll probably play roughly 38 games. If he goes back to Dubuque, more like 70. Should be interesting.

Boston College as his destination makes too much sense for me.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
I'd fully expect NU to release him though. I'm interested to see what schools he has in his sights. I'm sure Calgary feels he needs to work on the same things as his Dubuque coach but I wonder where they feel it's best he does that next year. If he goes the college route, he'll probably play roughly 38 games. If he goes back to Dubuque, more like 70. Should be interesting.

Boston College as his destination makes too much sense for me.

This. He's tailor-made for Jerry York's program.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
CALGARY, AB -- Wandering through the Don Hartman Northeast Sportsplex, forward John Gaudreau hardly sticks out in the crowd.

Listed at 5'6 and 137 lbs by the NHL at the 2011 Entry Draft, Gaudreau's size is far from impressive. In fact, people have told him his stature will keep him from ever playing in the NHL.

But Gaudreau is incredibly talented. There were whispers in Minnesota he may be, hands down, the most skilled player in the 2011 draft crop.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568965&navid=DL|CGY|home

Last edited by a moderator:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's the Flames official website. They fluff up these "articles" like you wouldn't believe. If you read the Rangers' website's take on Ryan Bourque, you would think that they were describing Ray.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
From HF's Calgary Flames draft review....

The Flames stepped way outside the box with this high risk but high reward draft pick. Gaudreau has really quick hands, shifty moves, explosive speed and this really small centerman could stickhandle in a phone booth. He has the determination and big time skill to prove the doubters wrong about his size. The teenager can make bigger players look foolish when they miss trying to check him. If they are able to make contact with him, then he has such excellent edge control with his skates, he can slide off and around the checker. The smallish center needs to add muscle mass and weight to be able to play at the more physical NHL level but he has time to mature. Gaudreau has scored goals at every level of hockey as he's a pure scorer which is an asset that can't be taught.

The 17-year-old centerman was named the USHL Rookie of the year and also named to the All-Rookie Team when he scored 36 goals (second in the USHL) with 36 assists while playing all 60 USHL games. His Dubuque Fighting Saints won the Clark Cup as Champions of the USHL this season.

The young centerman has a commitment to go to Northeastern University this year but the resignation of the Head Coach, Greg Cronin who has joined the Toronto Maple Leafs' coaching staff, has caused the player and his family to weigh out all their options. Gaudreau's options are: attend Northeastern, ask for a withdrawal of intent and sign with another college if granted the withdrawal, return back to play for Dubuque, sign with the Calgary Flames, or sign with a CHL team. What his decision will be, has yet to be announced.

No matter which of these options the outstanding scorer choses to pursue, it will be worth watching to see how he progresses in his hockey career. Gaudreau was picked by the right team because the Flames have given smaller players like Theo Fleury and Martin St. Louis the chance to play in the NHL, but he must still prove them right.

Sounds promising...

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
At least Rocco Grimaldi has incredible strength and balance for his size to have a chance. And even Rocco is not a sure bet to make the NHL. I don't wanna seem like I'm flaming, but I'd be surprised if he had a succesful AHL career.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
At least Rocco Grimaldi has incredible strength and balance for his size to have a chance. And even Rocco is not a sure bet to make the NHL. I don't wanna seem like I'm flaming, but I'd be surprised if he had a succesful AHL career.

I was pretty pissed when i heard about this pick, but from everything i have heard all this kid is lacking is strength. He wont be in the NHL any time soon as he still gets to go the college route.

Here is a post in the flames forum about the kid:

Guys, i played on John Gaudreau's high school team and let me tell you this kid is special. What was so awful about his skating? His backwards skating never seemed to be a problem when i was with him. I am 19 years old and have been playing hockey since i was 7 and i can honestly tell you he is by far the best player i have ever seen. He puts the puck wherever he wants to. He would do things that would literally make my jaw drop.

One of the best things about him was how good he is on his edges. I've never seen a kid so good at changing direction. We played in an extremely competitive highschool league in New Jersey. There were game where we would win 10-5 and this kid would have 10points. It was unreal to watch.

Also this kid HATES to LOSE! It doesnt matter if its practice or game 7 of the cup final. This kid will do whatever it takes to win. 3on3's in high school practice turned into WARS because John wanted to win so damn bad. When he got drafted by you guys he was actually in the middle of a game at his local rink. This kid lives in the ice rink. He is completely committed to hockey. He would pass up high school parties and girls just to be on the ice. You got a steal/winner in the 4th round. enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad