LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Not trying to troll here but Gaudreau's size will always limit his potential. Based on world juniors, he does play like kane, but kane is 5"11 and Gaudreau is 5"7. Once he hits the NHL guys will know to just take the body. Gerbe put up 35 goals in 43 games playing for boston college, and he's not an All-Star. Transitioning to the NHL when you're that small isn't easy.

Gaudreau is 5'9 not 5'7. He was just recently measured and weighed at the Flames prospect camp this past summer.

Billybaroo*

Gaudreau is 5'9 not 5'7. He was just recently measured and weighed at the Flames prospect camp this past summer.

BC's own website. 5'8 160lbs.
Thats tiny.
Very rare for a kid that little to have any impact, though in very rare cases it happens.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Thats tiny.
Very rare for a kid that little to have any impact, though in very rare cases it happens.

it makes you wonder what his actual height is. you would assume both teams measure accurately. can anyone really confirm? or should i assume this has already been addressed in the thread

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm going to get jumped all over for saying this, but he reminds me of Gretzky.
I am not saying he will become anything like the player Wayne was, but it is his style of play which is reminiscent. His play behind the net, the eyes he seems have on the back of his head, and his simple (and seemingly perfect) decision making.

If he's able to make that jump to the NHL, we'll have a heck of a player.

No, I actually feel the same way. JG has had to be heads and shoulders smarter than everyone else his whole hockey career to be the kind of player he is. He does play and see the game like 99. I've noticed the behind the net a lot to, and he seems to be 3 steps ahead of everyone else the way he reads a developing play. His hands and shiftiness are remarkable.

I think Giroux is a poor mans Crosby the way he plays the game (minus the BS), and I'm hoping JG will be of a similar mold to Gretz. I do believe this guy is the exception and he's going to be special.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
No, I actually feel the same way. JG has had to be heads and shoulders smarter than everyone else his whole hockey career to be the kind of player he is. He does play and see the game like 99. I've noticed the behind the net a lot to, and he seems to be 3 steps ahead of everyone else the way he reads a developing play. His hands and shiftiness are remarkable.

I think Giroux is a poor mans Crosby the way he plays the game (minus the BS), and I'm hoping JG will be of a similar mold to Gretz. I do believe this guy is the exception and he's going to be special.

Quite a praise for him. Hes that smart on the ice??

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Quite a praise for him. Hes that smart on the ice??

To have survived in the game to this point at his size, he has to have some decent hockey smarts. But the next step up - whether it's the AHL or NHL - will be the real test.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To have survived in the game to this point at his size, he has to have some decent hockey smarts. But the next step up - whether it's the AHL or NHL - will be the real test.

Nothing is a certainty, he may turn pro and could get destroyed playing against NHL dman. But guys in the NCAA are not tiny and most are young men already.

The reason I think he'll translate his game is because he's already dominated every league he's played in, and he's won every where he has gone. He did not have the learning curve Janko experienced despite being almost a foot shorter in his rookie season and playing on the 2nd line. I just think this kid is going to be a star, once he adjusts to the speed of the game and gets to play with someone as smart as Monahan, I think we're going to see the start of a really special career.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Thats tiny.

And NHL.com and Calgary Flames prospect camp has him listed at 5'9.

Who knows.. Either way, kids been lights out!

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
Nothing is a certainty, he may turn pro and could get destroyed playing against NHL dman. But guys in the NCAA are not tiny and most are young men already.

The reason I think he'll translate his game is because he's already dominated every league he's played in, and he's won every where he has gone. He did not have the learning curve Janko experienced despite being almost a foot shorter in his rookie season and playing on the 2nd line. I just think this kid is going to be a star, once he adjusts to the speed of the game and gets to play with someone as smart as Monahan, I think we're going to see the start of a really special career.

Exactly. College was truly the perfect route for this kid and the ultimate test to see if his level of play can translate to bigger, older, opposition. Everyone has in one point had doubts about Gaudreau for his limited potential due to size (including myself), but just watch him play and his dominance will make you a fan. He has incredible work ethic and apparently he's jacked. He was also by far the most impressive player at the flames training camp IMO.

It's the same song and dance for Gaudreau. If his skill translates he will become a star.

RomersWorld*

18 points in 9 games. Kid is doing just fine. Only just starting to warm up. Him and Kevin Hayes have been fantastic this season!

And the amazing thing is they don't even play on the same line. Talk about great having Gaudeau and Arnold on one line then Hayes on the other.

J. Gaudreau: 9 games, 9 goals, 9 assists, 18 points
K. Hayes: 9 games, 5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points
B. Arnold: 9 games, 3 goals, 11 assists, 14 points

I wonder what their stats would be with a Gaudrea/Hayes/Arnold line...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
And the amazing thing is they don't even play on the same line. Talk about great having Gaudeau and Arnold on one line then Hayes on the other.

that's why I like Ryan Fitzgerald a lot. He has stepped up this year and has allowed BC to keep Hayes and Gaudreau separate for much of the year. Very hard team to play against with 2 top lines coming at you.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009

The best part is that 2 of them are Flames prospects :D

HockeyMind9

Exactly. College was truly the perfect route for this kid and the ultimate test to see if his level of play can translate to bigger, older, opposition. Everyone has in one point had doubts about Gaudreau for his limited potential due to size (including myself), but just watch him play and his dominance will make you a fan. He has incredible work ethic and apparently he's jacked. He was also by far the most impressive player at the flames training camp IMO.

It's the same song and dance for Gaudreau. If his skill translates he will become a star.

Went almost everyday to the summer camp. He is 5'9" at most, likely between 5'8" and 5'9". I'm 5'7" and when I was standing beside him, (without equipment or skates on), FlamesFanattic said he's at most 2 inches taller. After talking to reporters, Conroy, etc., he was 160lbs at camp and wants to get up to about 180 lbs by the time he hits the NHL. He is by no means "jacked." He has tiny chicken legs and barely looks much bigger than me and I'm not big. I'm sure he is quite strong, but in street clothes he still looks tiny.

At the camp, his skill was undeniable. He would regularly make players look foolish in drills (1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, anything really.) This was against CHL, AHL and NCAA guys. Even against the big guys, he holds his own. He was flashier than Baertschi, Monahan, Jankowski and everyone really. Monahan was solid but was pretty much the opposite of Gaudreau while still being good.. Really solid, big and strong, not flashy at all but still got the job done. I think the two of them would be perfect to play together (both incredibly smart), Monahan has enough offence to contribute while he is defensively responsible to allow Gaudreau to take chances.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Went almost everyday to the summer camp. He is 5'9" at most, likely between 5'8" and 5'9". I'm 5'7" and when I was standing beside him, (without equipment or skates on), FlamesFanattic said he's at most 2 inches taller. After talking to reporters, Conroy, etc., he was 160lbs at camp and wants to get up to about 180 lbs by the time he hits the NHL. He is by no means "jacked." He has tiny chicken legs and barely looks much bigger than me and I'm not big. I'm sure he is quite strong, but in street clothes he still looks tiny.

At the camp, his skill was undeniable. He would regularly make players look foolish in drills (1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, anything really.) This was against CHL, AHL and NCAA guys. Even against the big guys, he holds his own. He was flashier than Baertschi, Monahan, Jankowski and everyone really. Monahan was solid but was pretty much the opposite of Gaudreau while still being good.. Really solid, big and strong, not flashy at all but still got the job done. I think the two of them would be perfect to play together (both incredibly smart), Monahan has enough offence to contribute while he is defensively responsible to allow Gaudreau to take chances.

:laugh: Sounds like a legit future NHLer...

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
:laugh: Sounds like a legit future NHLer...

Or perhaps a great sign seeing that he has a ways to go physically, but is dominating at his size? You can look at it both ways with prospects. Some are 'men' that do well because they are physically superior, and when they get into the NHL they hit a wall. Others need more development time but have all the skill in the world.

Pretty sure working out with professional trainers will add some size to his legs.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Fleury 2.0?

Puck Daddy:

Johnny Gaudreau isn't much to look at on the ice. He's listed at 5-foot-7 and 150, but the lack of size seems to have no effect. I've seen him play in each of the last two weekends and he has been uniformly magnificent. In his last four games, he has six goals and four assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->