LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Never underestimate goals, and this guy gets a lot of them. I see so many scouts shy away from players because part of their game isn’t as developed. This leads to not drafting for what the player might become, but what they are today. Kaliyev can shoot and finish as well as anyone in this draft, but many people question whether or not he has the IQ or skating ability to be a top flight player. Players like him with high skill typically don’t slot into a bottom 6 role.

I believe he could be a top flight nhl player, but at this point I’m not sure if he’s a potential 40 goal scorer or a kieffer bellows.

Time will tell.

However, that gamble alone is the reason why he won’t be ranked as high as you have him, regardless if he might end up being the 3rd best player in the draft.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
go to one of his games and just watch him throughout the game, watch his body language, where he takes the puck, where he puts in the effort and where he doesn't and then go back and watch a game of him at the U15 level and tell us if any area of his game has improved.... that's why he's not a top prospect to so many NHL scouts.... the progress isn't there and he hasn't shown any desire to progress.... its not just numbers on a website and highlight packages!

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
go to one of his games and just watch him throughout the game, watch his body language, where he takes the puck, where he puts in the effort and where he doesn't and then go back and watch a game of him at the U15 level and tell us if any area of his game has improved.... that's why he's not a top prospect to so many NHL scouts.... the progress isn't there and he hasn't shown any desire to progress.... its not just numbers on a website and highlight packages!
I think it should be specified that while all this and the prior criticisms are accurate, he’s still a good prospect, just not one you probably want in the top-15 (much less top-5). His playmaking ability, for instance, is hugely improved from last season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I find his play away from the puck really really dissapointing. His skating is an issue but he has a great release. Often times makes bad plays and questionable decisions. Haven't seen a tonne of him but from what I have seen I haven't been hugely impressed or massively dissapointed. Hes a middling prospect for me with potential but not enough for me to take him top 15, let alone top 3.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I personally understand the hype (based on stats and highlights) but I'm not sold on him becoming a NHLer based on my game to game viewing. He has top 5 talent (shot, vision, hands) with zero commitment and dedication. It's not a good recipe... I also think his skating need significant improvement. He seems like he could hit a wall in the pros.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
I think it should be specified that while all this and the prior criticisms are accurate, he’s still a good prospect, just not one you probably want in the top-15 (much less top-5). His playmaking ability, for instance, is hugely improved from last season.

I absolutely agree, I didn't mean for my post to sound like a bash fest on the kid because he isn't without some impressive talents..... I don't claim to know every player in this draft like a lot of others on here do, having said that, he isn't the type of player I would feel too excited about using a 1st round pick on but that doesn't mean if I was a Director of scouting that I wouldn't like him in the middle of the 2nd round.... Just because a player isn't a 1st round prospect doesn't mean the team that gets him won't love to have him in the pipeline... I like a lot of his talents, It just doesn't scream 1st rounder to me when I watch him play!

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I absolutely agree, I didn't mean for my post to sound like a bash fest on the kid because he isn't without some impressive talents..... I don't claim to know every player in this draft like a lot of others on here do, having said that, he isn't the type of player I would feel too excited about using a 1st round pick on but that doesn't mean if I was a Director of scouting that I wouldn't like him in the middle of the 2nd round.... Just because a player isn't a 1st round prospect doesn't mean the team that gets him won't love to have him in the pipeline... I like a lot of his talents, It just doesn't scream 1st rounder to me when I watch him play!
I’d probably take him in the 20s. History shows that only a fraction of those guys ever play more than ~100 games in the NHL. In that range, unless I’m going for a Poehling type, who’s more of a guaranteed floor guy, I’m swinging for the fences with a Merkley or Kaliyev.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
30+30 in 39 games (1.53 ppg) this season so far for Arthur Kaliyev.
0.71 ppg last season, hell of a improvement to last season.

After going 5 games with o+3, last 3 games; 5+2, 22 sog.

Reactions: JiggsNY

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
People need to stop using the word "average" to mean "intuitively he looks somewhat competent," or "his motion is fluid enough." Hockey writers unfortunately do this too. Every player is an "above average skater", or a "good skater". You look on boards where people discuss the speed of their team, posters will say "these three skaters are below average, everyone else is average or better." That makes no sense. I get the sense that when people say someone is a "below-average" skater they're usually referring to the 15th-20th percentile, rather than the actual average.

Average means if you lined him up in a race with 50% of the league, he'd win. And if you lined him up with 50% of the league, he'd lose. 50% of the league is below-average in skating. 50% of the league is above average in skating. You hear ridiculous claims like "no top scorers in the NHL are below-average skaters." And then usually someone will say "but Mark Stone", or "but Jeff Carter", only players who have visibly choppy or notably slow footwork, missing the fact that quite a few top scorers in the NHL simply would not win in a footrace against half of all players in the NHL, which is the definition of below-average. You don't need to be above average to be competent. You don't need to be an above average skater in the NHL to be in the NHL because by definition, half of the NHL is below-average in the NHL.

So back to Strome. Who on Chicago is faster than him? I'm probably not the best person to judge, but from what I've seen certainly Kampf, Kane, Kahun, Debrincat, Toews, Saad. Probably also Fortin, Perlini, and Kruger. Let's give for the sake of argument that he's faster than Martinsen, Anisimov, Kunitz, and Hayden. So 9 forwards are faster than him, 4 are slower. Chicago is not an anomalously fast team. 10th out of 14 is below average. And I neither think Strome nor Kaliyev need to be above average skaters to be successful in the NHL, but average isn't a feeling or a constant, it's relative to other players in the league.
Bookmarked, I've been thinking that for a while

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I don’t have him as a top 10 prospect yet either but man 62 points in 40 games and already 30 goals is impressive. Not a late birthday and it’s not like he plays with an elite OHL prospect like a marner or anyone.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
31 goals and 32 assists this year. Great hands, a nose for the net, good passer-uses his teammates well, good boardwork, good positional play. Just has little straight away speed and lacks a really good first step. A first round talent but where?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
4th in the OHL scoring

1. Felhaber, Ottawa 67's - 73 points (1998 born over ager)
2. Brazeau, North Bay Battalion - 71 points (1998 born over ager)
3. Hancock, London Knights 67 points (1998 born over ager)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he just keeps producing. I want to see him on team USA at the u-18 for him to go toe to toe with his fellow draft eliglbles...he deserves that chance since so few seem to be giving him much credit at all.

Reactions: Aerrol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This kid tested pretty well in the skating drills at the top prospect game.

If his skating was better than what we thought and the scoring ability is through the roof... maybe he deserves some more recognition?

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
His skating and Give a damn meter makes it hard to put ahead of so many other prospects... how often have you seen him win a race to a loose puck? Take a straight line to a loose puck? Use 2nd and 3rd efforts to win a puck battle.... you can go through any draft and find guys with an excellent shot and score a bunch of goals in junior and then they get to pro hockey and because they don't compete they never hae the puck and because the ice tightens up, they don't know how to find and create space.... What you are forgetting is the NHL is not the CHL.... he just doesn't have the work ethic or desire to add to his game or the skating to be a high end prospect IMO....

Reactions: Frk It

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
Arthur has mastered the Art of scoring the kid is so sneaky that if the backs turn for a moment he will find the seam and its already in the net off his twig. Kids going to score at any level

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
From what I have seen of him live this year, his work rate is there most nights. I like how he is able to find space in the offensive zone to make himself available to generate scoring opportunities.

He's a strong kid with an excellent shot, quick release.

He had a very good OHL Championship Series versus the Soo last season which the Dogs won in 6 games. That may have been his coming out party.

Like with most any kid, consistency is key. I think he will be a top 10 pick in this coming draft. Somebody is going to get a very talented player.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
A lot of people are just assuming I watch highlight reels, is it because I posted a highlight reel? I was just doing that to give new comers some of his best stuff, which I guess ment for most people that ment that I’ve only seen highlights of him lol. Kk... no I do watch him, and it’s fine if you have a different opinion than mine, but don’t discredit my ability on how I rate prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad