LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't see what the problem is with him. He's got nice size, decent strength, and will get stronger. He's no more slow than Lundell is. He has decent or better passing ability, and a world class shot. You pair him with a passer like Granlund and a guy who will do the dirty work.

He's no Teemu Pulkinnen who has a world class shot, but can't get to his spot in the NHL because he is slow and weak( relatively speaking).
You're kidding if you think he skates the same speed as Lundell lol

Reactions: bleedblue94

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Hasn't been good in what sense? He's done what he's expected to do which is put up points. His compete level has also been good.
He has put up points yes, but most of the opportunity comes to him from the 2 players he's playing with. He's definately a floater, no question about it.
Can he carve an NHL career playing this way, maybe. Others have done it before. But, he'll need to be given the opportunity, he won't earn it.
If you think his compete level was good we haven't watched the same games. This game would make me so mad if I were is teamate/coach. To be fair his compete level was a little bit better last game, but still pretty low.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
What an idiot, all he had to do was learn how to skate better, but all he can do is just stand there and lackadaisically put the puck in the net in the most effortless/uncompetitive manner possible. No future in the NHL.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What an idiot, all he had to do was learn how to skate better, but all he can do is just stand there and lackadaisically put the puck in the net in the most effortless/uncompetitive manner possible. No future in the NHL.

Imagine if he TRIED, 200 point seasons in the OHL easy. but of course he doesn't so its only 100 point seasons. bust

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
If the Kings can fix his skating like they did with Toffoli he'll be fine. Everything else will come together with maturity and proper coaching.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If the Kings can fix his skating like they did with Toffoli he'll be fine. Everything else will come together with maturity and proper coaching.

Yes Toffoli, was a brutal skater, not going to win any speed skating competitions, but it was still a major transformation just the same

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yes Toffoli, was a brutal skater, not going to win any speed skating competitions, but it was still a major transformation just the same

I actually like the comparison in a lot of ways. Kaliyev is much bigger obviously, but similarly, he thinks the game better than most here will give him credit for. Even in those preseason games he didn't look out of place--he knew where he was going and that he needed to be a mental step ahead of anyone else to arrive at the same time. He (and previously Toffoli) obviously looks like absolute crap getting there but it's more ugly than it is totally ineffective to the point of disrepair. I genuinely don't think his skating will hold him back based on 1. how good our organization is at fixing it (Craig Johnson, Nelson Emerson anyone?) based on past history and 2. how smart he is offensively. We haven't had a Vanek, and we have plenty of good play driving skaters. He won't need to be the guy lugging the puck through the neutral zone. But he may end up the kind of player who is a total liability on a bad possession team while a valuable finisher/complementary player on a good team.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
His straight line speed seems fine honestly, it's his endurance that's awful. I have faith the kings can get that fixed

Reactions: HzH

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Coming into the tournament and even after the round robin, I was doubtful that he'd make it in the NHL. In the final two games, though, he impressed with better all-around play. He was digging for pucks in the corner and making good passes. I didn't see him turn the puck over much. Perhaps more importantly, I saw effort from him, and that's the one thing that I was afraid that he lacked and that would hold him back. You can correct skating and even turnovers, but there's not much that you can do if a player just doesn't want to put in the effort. See Yakupov. I'm still not sure if he'll make it in the NHL, but I'm slightly higher on his chances now than I was just a week ago.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Coming into the tournament and even after the round robin, I was doubtful that he'd make it in the NHL. In the final two games, though, he impressed with better all-around play. He was digging for pucks in the corner and making good passes. I didn't see him turn the puck over much. Perhaps more importantly, I saw effort from him, and that's the one thing that I was afraid that he lacked and that would hold him back. You can correct skating and even turnovers, but there's not much that you can do if a player just doesn't want to put in the effort. See Yakupov. I'm still not sure if he'll make it in the NHL, but I'm slightly higher on his chances now than I was just a week ago.

I said he skated like an aircraft carrier before someone else more aptly called him a battleship with a cannon, but I liked what I saw from him in the medal rounds, too. He definitely needs to improve his skating and fitness, but I really liked his effort down the stretch. He was especially good tonight on the forecheck and throwing his body. The kid cares. He's got a lot of work to do, but the Kings will give him time.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
He seems that he will need to be a top line player to succeed. He's definitely not going to be a bottom line guy since his skating and effort are average. He definitely shows finishing/shooting ability and he's probably going to add at least 20 lbs to play a heavier game. He is already fairly strong against peers. Definitely a player that is not as versatile but the Kings need top line offensive guys. His strengths stood out to me against his peers so he has a good shot to succeed.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
People keep saying he's a one trick pony - his only asset is his shot. While admittedly his skating needs work, his board play and puck protection are top notch. He's going to be playing for the Kings. What team cycles the puck aimlessly more than the Kings? He's going to fit right in. If he was on Col or Vegas, he'd have trouble keeping up with the play, but the Kings just kinda grind and lull you to sleep. Eventually the coverage will make a mistake and Arty can shoot. Kings don't have finishers after tiring out the other team on the cycle.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One of the more interesting talents from the WJC in that you're not quite sure how or where he'll end up.

Goal scoring is that most rarest and most prized of skill sets, but the rest of him needs a bit of work. He uses his frame pretty well and hustles hard enough. Like a lot of goal scorers, sometimes his playmaking can be underrated. (like Dany Heatley for example)

Between him and Byfield, the LA Kings are going to be busy coming up with the appropriate development pathway but the outcome could be huge for them.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
People keep saying he's a one trick pony - his only asset is his shot. While admittedly his skating needs work, his board play and puck protection are top notch. He's going to be playing for the Kings. What team cycles the puck aimlessly more than the Kings? He's going to fit right in. If he was on Col or Vegas, he'd have trouble keeping up with the play, but the Kings just kinda grind and lull you to sleep. Eventually the coverage will make a mistake and Arty can shoot. Kings don't have finishers after tiring out the other team on the cycle.

people who say his only asset is his shot are people whose opinion you can discount wholesale. he is quite clearly one of the smartest players whenever he is on the ice.

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
While it still didn't look pretty, he skated his bag off last night. His offensive IQ is very underrated as the post above alludes to.

He does seem awkward though. Like, he will never be the coolest guy in the room but rather the uncoolest and not so uncool that he's cool: dude seems like a total dork. He almost has an element of that to his game as well, if that makes sense. Zegras carries himself like the big man on campus and then Kaliyev looks like he doesn't even know how to celebrate at the end of the gold medal game.

I think this was a reason he dropped in the draft since his interviews weren't making teams feel warm and fuzzy. He can be socially awkward all he wants though with a shot like that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
While it still didn't look pretty, he skated his bag off last night. His offensive IQ is very underrated as the post above alludes to.

He does seem awkward though. Like, he will never be the coolest guy in the room but rather the uncoolest and not so uncool that he's cool: dude seems like a total dork. He almost has an element of that to his game as well, if that makes sense. Zegras carries himself like the big man on campus and then Kaliyev looks like he doesn't even know how to celebrate at the end of the gold medal game.

I think this was a reason he dropped in the draft since his interviews weren't making teams feel warm and fuzzy. He can be socially awkward all he wants though with a shot like that.

He definitely has some Phil Kessel in him. I can see it now: at the 2030 NHL All-Star Game, he'll be the last player chosen for teams by his peers, but he'll go on to score a hat trick and win the Game MVP car... which he'll then try to get into and personally drive off of the ice before being stopped by event organizers.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kaliyev at Kings practice today...

Kaliyev-2.jpg

No comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad