LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
him and Wahlstrom are pretty similar players with "issues or concerns." Wall-E is the better skater and playmaker, but the rest is pretty close, lets see how the scouts start judging this kid over the next few months.

In my mind if you are a legit 1st round pick you can't have glaring warts in your game and surely can't lack compete. Minor dips in play are going to happen with most 17 year olds. Anyone who is really high on Kaliyev I'd say, sit down and watch him play and count how many times you see him really work, how many times does he win a battle against two guys or even engage in those battles, how many times does he take a hit to make a play, how many times does he pay the price and ask did he do enough of that... because that's what you have to do in the NHL to not only be a good NHLer and live up to a 1st round pick but that's what you have to do just to make it to the NHL. How many skilled players struggle to just break into the league each year? Its not because of lack of talent, its lack of compete and lack of details in their game. not trying to crap on the player because he no doubt has talent to be a draft pick, just hasn't shown enough pride in the details of his game to be a 1st rounder for me.... especially in this draft where It seems to be a pretty competitive top 50! having said all that, maybe by the end of the season, it may just click for him and he gets it! its happened before with players...

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
23 points in 13 games, kid has gone bat shit crazy out there...these are ridiculous numbers right now, gap is wide between him and Suzuki in points right now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
All things that don't matter that much when trying to project a 17 year old as a 22 year old NHLer....
Huh?

Of course his ability to put up points as a 17 year old correlates to what he can be as a 22 year old NHLer.

It certainly isn't everything, but to dismiss it is just plain dumb.

There is a reason the guys with the best stats go the highest for the most part, because you need to have good skills to put up points.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY I think that can be said about any player at the end of the day any player picked is a guessing game but everyone has a different view and thought process how they project things.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Huh?

Of course his ability to put up points as a 17 year old correlates to what he can be as a 22 year old NHLer.

It certainly isn't everything, but to dismiss it is just plain dumb.

There is a reason the guys with the best stats go the highest for the most part, because you need to have good skills to put up points.

One hot streak in the CHL doesn't make a player's potential.. never said it gets dismissed but count out how many 100 point CHL players don't even make it as a top 6 forward in the NHL in their careers... its an endless list. yes its a big guessing game, all i'm saying is there are a lot more complete package players in this draft that should be ranked ahead of him AT THIS STAGE!!! Things can always change...

Reactions: SAM STEVENS

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
One hot streak in the CHL doesn't make a player's potential.. never said it gets dismissed but count out how many 100 point CHL players don't even make it as a top 6 forward in the NHL in their careers... its an endless list. yes its a big guessing game, all i'm saying is there are a lot more complete package players in this draft that should be ranked ahead of him AT THIS STAGE!!! Things can always change...
I agree but he is fun to watch right now

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How many got the 100 points as a 17 year old? Not many, and those that do go high in the draft, barring extremely small stature

The list becomes incredibly smaller when you take 19/20 year old career CHLer's out of the equation.

Bouchard (as an 18 year old) led the CHL 1st year draft eligible's with 87 points this past year I believe.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
need to use context of when the post was made.

Suzuki was at 18 points, hence the gap between the two.
Even then, Suzuki is only 5 points behind while having a superior PPG and 3 less games played. As an avid watcher of the OHL I can also firmly proclaim belief that Suzuki is both significantly more dynamic and capable of producing independently offensively, and a vastly better two-way player (like, the same difference between, say, Bergeron and Kane). He also plays the centre position very well. I’ve been high on Suzuki for a long time but I cannot see justification for him being in the latter half of the first round while Kaliyev is in the top-10, as is appearing on some rankings. Ryan is overwhelmingly better at every aspect of the game besides shooting and powering his way to the net, and he’s no slouch at those either. But, Kaliyev’s shot is ridiculous and some people may simply place high value on that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Even then, Suzuki is only 5 points behind while having a superior PPG and 3 less games played. As an avid watcher of the OHL I can also firmly proclaim belief that Suzuki is both significantly more dynamic and capable of producing independently offensively, and a vastly better two-way player (like, the same difference between, say, Bergeron and Kane). He also plays the centre position very well. I’ve been high on Suzuki for a long time but I cannot see justification for him being in the latter half of the first round while Kaliyev is in the top-10, as is appearing on some rankings. Ryan is overwhelmingly better at every aspect of the game besides shooting and powering his way to the net, and he’s no slouch at those either. But, Kaliyev’s shot is ridiculous and some people may simply place high value on that.
its not about Suzuki vs Kaliyev...just the fact that the kid had more points than Suzuki yet nobody is talking about him at all. being up 5-6 points with only a dozen games played is a pretty big deal for me especially since I thought Kaliyev wouldn't be that far above a ppg this year - more goals than assists -40-30 type season.

Suzuki likely should and will have more points than Kaliyev when it is all said and done, but people are sleeping on Kaliyev here big time, and by showing him clearly ahead in points than the "next" top OHL eligible player was not anything against Suzuki but just a wake up call for some.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Many see him as too one dimensional.... a lot of Eeli Tolvanen in his game IMO, who went late in the 1st round as well. Can score from anywhere but doesn't do enough of the other things like a lot of the the other top forwards in the draft. So if you have two guys who can score, one works for pucks and cares away from the puck and the other doesn't... the player that does more gets put ahead of the one that doesn't. A lot of goal scorers in the OHL never get there as pro's.... he was probably one of those players that could have benefited more by going the NCAA route. no question if he flips a switch and starts to give a damn about other areas of his game, he could be really good.. .but how often does that happen?

The question then is who in this draft class can score like him?

I'd guess that's a very short list.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he just went head to head with Nick Suzuki....Suzuki with a great night with 2 goals 1 shorty and 1 on the pp...

Kaliyev however just keeps impressing more and more...2 more goals and another primary assist for the power winger. 27 points now in 17 games...that is 16 goals as well, already half way to his total of 31 last year which was the most for a 16/17 year old in the OHL since Galchenyuk did it.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He may have a bit more bust potential than some because of concerns with his game away from the puck but I cannot fathom him falling past the middle of the first if he keeps this up even if he’s “one dimensional”. He’s just an awesome weapon offensively. This isn’t a hot streak, he’s a ridiculous goal machine.

He’d be a perfect pick for a team like my Avs who may very well have two top 15 picks this draft - you can bet on upside with that second pick and really shoot for a huge draft. Pairing him with one of the super centers of this draft in the future is a mouthwatering thought. Imagine adding Dach or Cozens and Kaliyev to a core with MacK, Rantanen and Landeskog. Future second line scoring issues are now sorted!

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He may have a bit more bust potential than some because of concerns with his game away from the puck but I cannot fathom him falling past the middle of the first if he keeps this up even if he’s “one dimensional”. He’s just an awesome weapon offensively. This isn’t a hot streak, he’s a ridiculous goal machine.

He’d be a perfect pick for a team like my Avs who may very well have two top 15 picks this draft - you can bet on upside with that second pick and really shoot for a huge draft. Pairing him with one of the super centers of this draft in the future is a mouthwatering thought. Imagine adding Dach or Cozens and Kaliyev to a core with MacK, Rantanen and Landeskog. Future second line scoring issues are now sorted!
I do not get to see a lot of his games, but over the past month I have made every effort to catch as many as I can, and I am not seeing this "lazy" play away from the puck that some are saying. I get it that he might look disinterested in the defensive zone, but the kid does back check, he drives hard to the net and actually skates very well for his size...everything you could want in a power winger. does he need to be more engaged away from the puck?? of course he does, Patrick Laine to this day almost unplugs like a controller when he doesn't have the puck lol..

goal scorers just seem to have this problem/stigma about them. I also hear things about his play making ability, but I can count a dozen plus real solid passes in the games I have seen, many leading to primary assists...so I must be missing something.

in hopes of getting a better feel for him, I will call out someone who I absolutely trust in their opinion of OHL players, my friend @Brock ..

Brock, if you get the chance to chime in on Kaliyev, your thoughts on him would be appreciated...I know you have seen him a fair amount, are the fears/concerns of his play away from the puck and playmaking legit?? or are people maybe being a bit too tough on him in these regards as not every player is going to be a Bergeron out there???

much appreciated....

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
not every player is going to be a Bergeron out there???
This is exactly what people needs to know to understand.

Kaliyev is one of the youngest player in the draft. You can teach defense along as he have that hockey instinct, which I feel he does. His production is way to impressive to keep him out of the 1st round and even the top 15. I understand the critism, but it's laughable that some even dare to rank him late 1st round/2nd round.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I do not get to see a lot of his games, but over the past month I have made every effort to catch as many as I can, and I am not seeing this "lazy" play away from the puck that some are saying. I get it that he might look disinterested in the defensive zone, but the kid does back check, he drives hard to the net and actually skates very well for his size...everything you could want in a power winger. does he need to be more engaged away from the puck?? of course he does, Patrick Laine to this day almost unplugs like a controller when he doesn't have the puck lol..

goal scorers just seem to have this problem/stigma about them. I also hear things about his play making ability, but I can count a dozen plus real solid passes in the games I have seen, many leading to primary assists...so I must be missing something.

in hopes of getting a better feel for him, I will call out someone who I absolutely trust in their opinion of OHL players, my friend @Brock ..

Brock, if you get the chance to chime in on Kaliyev, your thoughts on him would be appreciated...I know you have seen him a fair amount, are the fears/concerns of his play away from the puck and playmaking legit?? or are people maybe being a bit too tough on him in these regards as not every player is going to be a Bergeron out there???

much appreciated....

I think that Kaliyev's playmaking ability was right to be questioned last year. But it's taken a massive step forward this year. No longer just drives wide with his head down. Has his head up, looking to exploit a gap, or dish off when he draws extra attention. His vision and patience coming off the wall has also really impressed me. Is an excellent player with the man advantage because he is a duel threat with the puck. That said, there are still some instances where he could be more patient when controlling the puck. Rather than continue to work the cycle, there is still a tendency to just turn and fire a shot on net, which can give away possession for the Dogs. But the playmaking has improved greatly.

His play away from the puck does still leave some to be desired IMO. It has also improved, but I can see where the notions of laziness come from. He sure seems to move a lot quicker with the puck than he does when he needs to put pressure on an attacker or attempt to track down a loose puck. He's got that good size and he's a big kid, I think we'd all like to see him engage a little more physically without the puck, in terms of holding his position near the crease, or winning battles to create turnovers in all three zones. Will this ever be a strong suit to his game? Not sure. And as some have stated, not every player is going to be Patrice Bergeron or Blake Wheeler. Kaliyev has great value because of his physical gifts, his hockey sense/vision, and his goal scoring ability.

Ultimately, I do think that we'll see him in that 15-25 range come draft time in June. I still prefer Ryan Suzuki as a prospect from the OHL. Those two might be the only first rounders from the OHL this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think that Kaliyev's playmaking ability was right to be questioned last year. But it's taken a massive step forward this year. No longer just drives wide with his head down. Has his head up, looking to exploit a gap, or dish off when he draws extra attention. His vision and patience coming off the wall has also really impressed me. Is an excellent player with the man advantage because he is a duel threat with the puck. That said, there are still some instances where he could be more patient when controlling the puck. Rather than continue to work the cycle, there is still a tendency to just turn and fire a shot on net, which can give away possession for the Dogs. But the playmaking has improved greatly.

His play away from the puck does still leave some to be desired IMO. It has also improved, but I can see where the notions of laziness come from. He sure seems to move a lot quicker with the puck than he does when he needs to put pressure on an attacker or attempt to track down a loose puck. He's got that good size and he's a big kid, I think we'd all like to see him engage a little more physically without the puck, in terms of holding his position near the crease, or winning battles to create turnovers in all three zones. Will this ever be a strong suit to his game? Not sure. And as some have stated, not every player is going to be Patrice Bergeron or Blake Wheeler. Kaliyev has great value because of his physical gifts, his hockey sense/vision, and his goal scoring ability.

Ultimately, I do think that we'll see him in that 15-25 range come draft time in June. I still prefer Ryan Suzuki as a prospect from the OHL. Those two might be the only first rounders from the OHL this year.
as always, much appreciated for the great response!

I obviously understand that most prospects have things to work on or some issues to overcome, but with Kaliyev it seems that he is getting some unfair critiques or even expectations here. I saw him play against Nick Suzuki last week, and the kid carried the play, he drove the net, he looked for teammates and showed creativity, he literally was awesome out there...

but some still have him outside the top 31 as he is on pace for over 60 goals. he likely doesn't hit that, but 45 plus goals as a 17 year old is something few have done in the OHL in many years. I think your 15-25 is conservative but obviously logical right now with how he is getting viewed. I thought I was going crazy seeing much of what you described, glad to see you have seen positives and steps in the right direction for him.

I agree on Kaliyev and Suzuki being the likely only two from the OHL that goes in the first round, have to say Blake Murray has not shown enough so far which is surprising considering I thought he would be a top player this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad