LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Someone have an opinion on an NHL comparable player for Andreas Johnson would be in terms of Style? Also, on talent, ie what line he ends up on in the NHL, or amount of points? Is tearing up the SHL in Goals.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Someone have an opinion on an NHL comparable player for Andreas Johnson would be in terms of Style? Also, on talent, ie what line he ends up on in the NHL, or amount of points? Is tearing up the SHL in Goals.

Cammalleri probably in terms of style. In the NHL he'd be best suited probably for a top-6 role as a trigger man.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Looks good, shouldn't judge from a highlight video though, Swedish posters should have a more accurate idea how many shots he usually takes and how many are on target. Videos like this only show the ones that he scored on.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Button said he sees him as an NHL player, and a player that could have contended for a spot on this years team(not that it's hard lol).

I think he's on the team for sure next year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Button said he sees him as an NHL player, and a player that could have contended for a spot on this years team(not that it's hard lol).

I think he's on the team for sure next year.

Hard to make the team without putting time in at the AHL level with Babcock though, that is the only thing. Couple that with the huge group of other young guys wanting to crack the team it should be tight.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Hard to make the team without putting time in at the AHL level with Babcock though, that is the only thing. Couple that with the huge group of other young guys wanting to crack the team it should be tight.

Thing with Johnson is he's already a pro so the adjustment won't be as big compared to a kid straight out of junior. He's already 21 and 5'11 183 pounds. I think he makes the team out of camp.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Would like some input from Swedish fans. Is he a potential top 6 player at the NHL level? Who would you guys compare his game to.. I always thought he reminded of Cammalleri with his ability to produce in-close from his one-timer and quick, short passes

His production has improved every season, not far off from 0.5 goals per game and PPG production so far this season

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Would like some input from Swedish fans. Is he a potential top 6 player at the NHL level? Who would you guys compare his game to.. I always thought he reminded of Cammalleri with his ability to produce in-close from his one-timer and quick, short passes
He needs to be more consistent in finding open ice. He shouldn't be trying to carry the puck or act as a playmaker, which he's been doing the last few weeks. Still doesn't protect the puck well enough. Really needs to improve his five-on-five play (hustle, defensive reads) if he's going to make the NHL, especially with Babcock as his coach.

I've made the Cammalleri comparison in the past, too. He should try to play more like a straight sniper, not a poor man's Patrick Kane.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This guy is interesting , that is for sure.
I sometimes forget about him in the shuffle - but by the look of the stats and reports, he may make a decent sniper on the wing with Nylander or Marner doing the puck hounding.

Nice to see some prospects progressing well, and our scouts showing their worth. It is safe to say the Leafs will have a strong Swedish pool - we always seem to pick a few. Here is hoping forgotten Swedes in the 7th round like Loov, Johnson, Engvall can make NHL impact for the Leafs.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He needs to be more consistent in finding open ice. He shouldn't be trying to carry the puck or act as a playmaker, which he's been doing the last few weeks. Still doesn't protect the puck well enough. Really needs to improve his five-on-five play (hustle, defensive reads) if he's going to make the NHL, especially with Babcock as his coach.

I've made the Cammalleri comparison in the past, too. He should try to play more like a straight sniper, not a poor man's Patrick Kane.

Its my major concern: Can he find that space in the no-space league?
NHL defenders should be on him like lightning. If they lay off, it will be in the back of the net.

I have high hopes for him.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Thanks. Leafs aren't in any rush with these prospects, so it sounds like Andreas could use a bit of time in the AHL
Hopefully he crosses the pond next season

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Does anyone know the terms of his contract in Sweden? When is it up? Is it possible he comes over to the Marlies next season? I feel like that's the next logical step in his progression, get used to the NA ice and his fellow future Leafs.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
Does anyone know the terms of his contract in Sweden? When is it up? Is it possible he comes over to the Marlies next season? I feel like that's the next logical step in his progression, get used to the NA ice and his fellow future Leafs.

His contract with Frolunda ends at the end of this season. He said he's going to come over to Toronto for next season. Probably with the Marlies but he could make the jump if he's good enough.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
His contract with Frolunda ends at the end of this season. He said he's going to come over to Toronto for next season. Probably with the Marlies but he could make the jump if he's good enough.

Awesome. Would love to see him with the Marlies (or even the Leafs if he can manage it, but there will be a lot of young guys fighting for spots).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I guess depending on when his season ends or if he goes to the WC, he could technically sign an ATO with the Leafs this season and play for the Marlies? Help with the Calder Cup and get used to the smaller ice?

Systemfel

Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
I guess depending on when his season ends or if he goes to the WC, he could technically sign an ATO with the Leafs this season and play for the Marlies? Help with the Calder Cup and get used to the smaller ice?
He signed his ELC last summer. The Leafs can assign him wherever after the SHL season (or WC).

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009

Actually, Johnson's contract with Frolunda ended at the end of last season, and the Leafs signed him to his entry-level deal this summer.

So, he actually could have come over to North America and played for either the Marlies or the Leafs this year, but they chose to loan him to Frolunda for this season. There's a number of possible reasons why (Johnson may have wanted to go back for another year, he has a big role on Frolunda, the Marlies roster is already over-crowded, etc).

In any case, it's a pretty safe bet that you'll see him on the Marlies or the Leafs next season. And no matter what happens, it'll be Toronto's call where he plays.

Systemfel

Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
So, he actually could have come over to North America and played for either the Marlies or the Leafs this year, but they chose to loan him to Frolunda for this season. There's a number of possible reasons why (Johnson may have wanted to go back for another year, he has a big role on Frolunda, the Marlies roster is already over-crowded, etc).
Actually, the Leafs would've had to offer him back to Frölunda if he hadn't made the NHL roster this year, due to these factors: age (under 22), draft status (not a 1st round pick), and contract (he was signed for 15-16 with Frölunda).

Frölunda could've recalled Tom Nilsson in 2014 due to the same rules, but chose not to.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He signed his ELC last summer. The Leafs can assign him wherever after the SHL season (or WC).

In the event he came over and played in the AHL for us this season after the SHL was over, it wouldn't effect his ELC unless he played 10 games in the NHL right? Or does he still burn a year off his contract because we allowed him to play in Sweden? Not quite sure on this stuff when it comes to European players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad