LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Johnson did great in Sweden.....did great with the Marlies......and should do great with the big team. He already has looked good in the NHL games he's played.

Leafs are stacked with talent in the NHL, and have a VERY good farm system.....probably still a top-10 system, with Dermott, Johnson, Kapanen, Grundstrom, Neilson, Rosen, Sparks.......in spite of what the Leaf haters say. ;)

Future looks really good.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Johnson did great in Sweden.....did great with the Marlies......and should do great with the big team. He already has looked good in the NHL games he's played.

Leafs are stacked with talent in the NHL, and have a VERY good farm system.....probably still a top-10 system, with Dermott, Johnson, Kapanen, Grundstrom, Neilson, Rosen, Sparks.......in spite of what the Leaf haters say. ;)

Neilson doesn't really belong in the same sentence as the others (he's a long shot). There is a reason he spent much of the post season as a scratch.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He could have easily had like 4 goals in this game.

His speed, puck skills and intensity are going to make him a really valuable player on any line.

I really hope he's given a look on Matthews wing next season.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

I would add borgman to the list.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Very, very good player who I think we've managed to underrate for a long time. He's got all the tools to be an impact player for the Leafs next year. If he keeps developing as he has been, he could be a very good top6 winger.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
So impressed with him overall. It's not his just skill. He plays the 'right' way always. Seems to be a common trend with the Marlies lately. They don't stop skating and working.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Will he be given the chance on a top line in Toronto next season, or rather work his way up? I can see him excel in better surroundings.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Johnsson's growth over the last few years has been nothing short of extraordinary. Took a bit of time to adapt to the smaller ice surface but his growth thereafter has been exponential.

Genuinely, the best Toronto Marlie player I've ever had the pleasure of watching. He was an absolute star in the AHL, we'll see how that translates over to the NHL, being a bit of an overager but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a name for himself. At the very least, he's not under the radar anymore.

Was a treat to watch him grow/perform in the Calder Cup as as Leafs fan, great consolation prize.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Johnsson was really driving the play nearly every time he was on the ice this playoffs, but personally I don't think he'll need to do that in the NHL presuming he's playing a top 6 role. He'll have linemates better than himself, so he'll just have to be competent when opportunities are there.

I was surprised by his speed a few times this year, he's not quite Kapanen but he's got the burst to beat defensemen to the outside which I think will be a big plus if/when he's playing with better players than himself - look for defensemen who are flat footed in transition and get open behind them for stretch passes kind of thing

it would be really nice to see Babcock move Hyman down the lineup and try a guy who's going to finish more of his opportunities, whether that's Johnsson, Kapanen or Grundstrom I think all can forecheck well enough to replace Hyman and will all be better at basically everything else

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think he will have a career in the NHL with the big club but I don't think the offense will be there like it is in the American league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad