LW Andreas Johnson - Frolunda, SHL (2013, 202nd, TOR)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
24 pts in 26 games. Hopefully he can finish the year in the shl at point per game.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
28 points in 32 games so far this year, just recently turned 21.

This kid never seems to get talked about, but I think he'll steal a spot in the Leaf's top 9 next season.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

This kid never seems to get talked about, but I think he'll steal a spot in the Leaf's top 9 next season.

This guy makes his living finding sweet spots on the ice and letting his elite shot fire....I anticpate it will be a very tough adjustment on the smaller ice where his space will be much more difficult to find.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
that would be amazing if he became as good of an nhl player as cammalleri.
Agreed. If you can turn a 7th rounder into anything at the NHL level, you're fortunate, meanwhile, a top scorer.

I don't think he'll really get talked about until he's an NHL player. 7th rounders just don't come up a lot. Even Leafs fans overlook him.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He reminds me more of Teemu Pulkkinen.
I don't really see it. Honestly the last time I've seen Johnson was at the WJCs a couple years ago, but he seemed like a speedy, hard working, 2-way winger, who scored more with quickness and hustle than really high end skill. Pulkkinen has an insane shot, and a pretty high skill level in general, but isn't overly fast, and is a bit weak with his defensive play.

His skill level, hustle, speed and general offensive style reminds me a bit of Brad Marchand, though he lacks the whole pest/nastiness thing Marchand has.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
This guy makes his living finding sweet spots on the ice and letting his elite shot fire....I anticpate it will be a very tough adjustment on the smaller ice where his space will be much more difficult to find.

I disagree. Babcock's system really benefit's hard-working players who have a good nose for the net. As long as he can learn where he's supposed to be in the system, he'll get his chances.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
He reminds me more of Teemu Pulkkinen.

Pulk
Johnson

Draft +1
Liiga - 54 pts in 55 games
SHL - 24 pts in 44 games

Draft +2
Liiga - 37 pts in 56 games
SHL - 35 pts in 55 games

Draft +3
Liiga - 34 pts in 59 games
SHL - 37 pts in 42 games

And for those that don't follow euro hockey SHL > Liiga

Both 5'10 183lbs currently. Both quick, great hands, good shot and passing, just overall offencively gifted players that could use improvement in their own end.

Not a bad comparison.

(For those curious why Pulk had a monster 10/11 season then fell after that for next 2 years, he was playing the wing with Janne Lahti that year and Lahti had a random monster season with 37 goals, before going back to his normal pace)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Pulk
Johnson

Draft +1
Liiga - 54 pts in 55 games
SHL - 24 pts in 44 games

Draft +2
Liiga - 37 pts in 56 games
SHL - 35 pts in 55 games

Draft +3
Liiga - 34 pts in 59 games
SHL - 37 pts in 42 games

And for those that don't follow euro hockey SHL > Liiga

Both 5'10 183lbs currently. Both quick, great hands, good shot and passing, just overall offencively gifted players that could use improvement in their own end.

Not a bad comparison.

(For those curious why Pulk had a monster 10/11 season then fell after that for next 2 years, he was playing the wing with Janne Lahti that year and Lahti had a random monster season with 37 goals, before going back to his normal pace)

Awesome post.

Thanks for the info.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
I don't really see it. Honestly the last time I've seen Johnson was at the WJCs a couple years ago, but he seemed like a speedy, hard working, 2-way winger, who scored more with quickness and hustle than really high end skill. Pulkkinen has an insane shot, and a pretty high skill level in general, but isn't overly fast, and is a bit weak with his defensive play.

His skill level, hustle, speed and general offensive style reminds me a bit of Brad Marchand, though he lacks the whole pest/nastiness thing Marchand has.

Reading this was like a light bulb going off in my head, he does remind me exactly of Marchand without being such a clown

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
His team won the SHL Championship Playoffs today.

After a really good regular season, he had what appears to be a bad post-season (stats-wise, can't say I saw a game).

For people that watch him play regularly, why were his point totals so down in the post season. Did he play well?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Johnson has now won the U16, J18, J20 and now the SHL gold. Not sure if any other player has done that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->