Lottery Draft System To Stay

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Realistically, how many drafted/signed players are you likely to find on the bottom 4 clubs ? My guess would be, not all that many. Also, a best of 3 wouldn't take all that long to run, but the appeal is that the fate of the bottom 4 isn't governed by the luck of the draw, but those teams competing for that 1st overall pick. If teams are missing players....you go with what you have.
This year Kingson would lose Ludwinski, Burns. Soo would lose McConnell-Barker, Gibson and Kudryatsev. Gens ended up 1 point up but they would've lost Ritchie, Butler maybe Gagnier if he has an offer in the AHL when the Gens are out.

Again, I like that idea from the fan perspective, but it would make the players look like the bad guy when they don't want to play in the meaningless tournament when they could be at U18s or in the AHL/ECHL

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This year Kingson would lose Ludwinski, Burns. Soo would lose McConnell-Barker, Gibson and Kudryatsev. Gens ended up 1 point up but they would've lost Ritchie, Butler maybe Gagnier if he has an offer in the AHL when the Gens are out.

Again, I like that idea from the fan perspective, but it would make the players look like the bad guy when they don't want to play in the meaningless tournament when they could be at U18s or in the AHL/ECHL

It's my understanding that players are not allowed to go play in other leagues, until their season is completed, including playoffs. Easy matter for the league to make this into a mini playoff for those bottom 4 teams. As I indicated, it could provide a bit of post season revenue for the bottom feeders, and give them and their fans a few meaningful games with the top 4 draft selections being at stake. More meaningful than just a lottery in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad