Lottery Draft System To Stay

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Does anyone know when the lottery will be?

When this year’s “lottery” rolls around, if Oshawa misses the playoffs, don’t be surprised when the league unites the Roobroeck brothers.
Now I wouldn't be surprised if Roobroeck is with the Soo. A former teammate of Brodie McConnell-Barker and his brother Dylan played with Bryce before the OHL. haha.

He fits the Stan Butler bill though...but does he want to play in the US?

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t understand why a lottery is needed. It is not like the players don’t jockey for position anyway. Maybe if the top 4 picks were always best available as opposed to best available that would report, it would make a difference.

Reactions: NOA and HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I don’t understand why a lottery is needed. It is not like the players don’t jockey for position anyway. Maybe if the top 4 picks were always best available as opposed to best available that would report, it would make a difference.

It's almost like a security blanket for the league...like a backup plan IF they know a player isn't going to report. I'm not trying to say this happens but ... can get that idea for sure.

I get it for exceptional-status players for sure, but I do agree with you.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would not mind the lottery as much if the placing for the import draft was not affected. I also think the lottery winner should be the only team rise in the draft order so the other teams can fall just spot.
It’s a really big deal this year with the OHL getting 1st pick in the import draft imo.

Reactions: OMG67 and HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I would not mind the lottery as much if the placing for the import draft was not affected. I also think the lottery winner should be the only team rise in the draft order so the other teams can fall just spot.
It’s a really big deal this year with the OHL getting 1st pick in the import draft imo.
Agreed on this point too. Should just be for first overall.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

There are a lot of problems with the OHL Priority selection process. This doesn’t resolve anything. It just creates the potential for more problems.

Reactions: dirty12 and HF92

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Roobroeck is with the Soo. A former teammate of Brodie McConnell-Barker and his brother Dylan played with Bryce before the OHL. haha.

He can still play in the U.S. when the Soo visit Flint,Saginaw & Erie. lol

• Haha
Reactions: HF92

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Arent 90% of import picks cooked up and agreed to between agents and teams before hand anyway? I think its far less of a deal with import picks than it is with the regular draft. Then again I actually like the idea of the lottery.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Arent 90% of import picks cooked up and agreed to between agents and teams before hand anyway? I think it’s far less of a deal with import picks than it is with the regular draft. Then again I actually like the idea of the lottery.
Advance agreements are generally made with agents of prospective imports, but 90% is a big #
You cannot cook up an agreement unless all the teams with draft priority allow it. With more ways to retain import rights, more OHL teams in the past few years have been taking home run swings on players not certain to report.

Reactions: OMG67

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

Lottery draft will be held on March 29th 6 pm.

Reactions: HockeyPops

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My predicted results of the cooked draft “lottery”:

1. Kingston
2. Soo
3. Erie
4. Niagara.

League’s reasoning for choosing this order

Niagara already has #5. League will further penalize them for past wrongs and running a gong show last year.

Erie had #2 last year. Won’t get 1 or 2 this year.

Soo has had some playoff success in recent years. Kingston not so much. Hence their decision to go with Kingston at #1.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

1. Kingston
2. Soo
3. Erie
4. Niagara.

Niagara already has #5. League will further penalize them for past wrongs and running a gong show last year.

Soo has had some playoff success in recent years. Kingston not so much. Hence their decision to go with Kingston at #1.
If they want to cook the lottery, they’d just hold off on announcing the host until tomorrow. Announce one of the lottery teams as host, and then have them win first overall.

Reactions: HF92

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
I think SSM gets the mem cup for getting screwed the covid year, and Kingston as a wink wink next time gets the 1st overall....
I think Saginaw gets the Memorial Cup and as a consolation, Soo gets the #1 overall for getting screwed by covid. Soo then doesn't need to completely mortgage their future next year and can build a proper team and is chosen to host the 2027 Memorial Cup where this current #1 pick will be 19 and the Soo will be loaded.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Ok, Here's an alternative Idea to a Lottery :
Since the teams that don't make the playoffs miss out on that added revenue, why not have them participate in a mini tournament ( winner gets first overall pick ) Best 2 out of 3 with the lower seeds getting "home ice advantage". It gives them something worth winning to play for, and their fans a few additional games to watch, with something valuable at stake. Best 2 teams payoff for that 1st overall pick, with the loser getting 2nd choice. Last 2 teams get ranked by points or a goal differential to be determined, but those 4 teams get the 1st 4 choices.
This would avoid "tanking" but still provide those bottom 4 teams, some incentive, and their fans, a little bit of hope for the future.
Any thoughts ???

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

1. Kingston
2. Soo
3. Erie
4. Niagara.

Time to put the Conspiracy to bed

Reactions: EvenSteven

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Since the teams that don't make the playoffs miss out on that added revenue, why not have them participate in a mini tournament ( winner gets first overall pick ) Best 2 out of 3 with the lower seeds getting "home ice advantage". It gives them something worth winning to play for, and their fans a few additional games to watch, with something valuable at stake. Best 2 teams payoff for that 1st overall pick, with the loser getting 2nd choice. Last 2 teams get ranked by points or a goal differential to be determined, but those 4 teams get the 1st 4 choices.
This would avoid "tanking" but still provide those bottom 4 teams, some incentive, and their fans, a little bit of hope for the future.
Any thoughts ???
would encourage tanking imo

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Any thoughts ???
Not a bad idea. Similar to the relegation at the WJT.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Any thoughts ???

The best team gets the first pick. The worst team gets the last pick….

Reactions: dirty12

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Any thoughts ???
As a fan I'd be all for that. But draft eligible guys would skip this and go to the U18s to try to increase their draft stock and drafted/signed guys would go join the ECHL or AHL team instead of this

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
As a fan I'd be all for that. But draft eligible guys would skip this and go to the U18s to try to increase their draft stock and drafted/signed guys would go join the ECHL or AHL team instead of this
Realistically, how many drafted/signed players are you likely to find on the bottom 4 clubs ? My guess would be, not all that many. Also, a best of 3 wouldn't take all that long to run, but the appeal is that the fate of the bottom 4 isn't governed by the luck of the draw, but those teams competing for that 1st overall pick. If teams are missing players....you go with what you have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad