London Knights 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Next year is probably a reload year (but with the number of returnees on defence, they could conceivably compete again). 2024/2025 with 19yo Bowen, Barkey, Cowan, and Bonk, 18yo Dickinson, Hagens, O'Rielly, and Nicholl--with a draft year Moore could be a juggernaut.
This is an interesting discussion. For London being a measuring stick for other teams (and disliked), they arguably are not even a favoured contender this year, next year and have not been a serious contender for a Memorial cup run since covid took out 19/20. So we’re looking at potentially 5 years between cup runs? Unless this year ends up being one. Have a hard time seeing them getting by a talented, veteran Sarnia team.

Not sure exactly my point, but it’s an interesting discussion as even the top programs take 3-4 years between serious championship runs, usually.

Reactions: rve24

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
This is an interesting discussion. For London being a measuring stick for other teams (and disliked), they arguably are not even a favoured contender this year, next year and have not been a serious contender for a Memorial cup run since covid took out 19/20. So we’re looking at potentially 5 years between cup runs? Unless this year ends up being one. Have a hard time seeing them getting by a talented, veteran Sarnia team.

Not sure exactly my point, but it’s an interesting discussion as even the top programs take 3-4 years between serious championship runs, usually.
London was a serious contender in the covid interrupted season (the season we acquired Merkeley), 3 or 4 years after our 2016 Memorial Cup win. And now we made it to the Final Four.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Medvedev is was my second favourite goalie in this draft after Ivankovic who was far and away in a tier of his own.

Singlehandedly won games for Vaughn this year. Kid was amazing at the OHL cup. Should be a good one.
Who is his comp in the O? Will he be a contender to be the starter next year?

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Who is his comp in the O? Will he be a contender to be the starter next year?

Tough to expect a rookie to take starters role with Bowen on deck.
No idea about the player or any insight but true rookie starters in the O are rare and more so if y return a Bowen type.

If the kids earns n it n takes it........ awesome!!!!!!!!! But it would be rare occurence

Last edited:

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
So what does everyone think of our draft so far? Has it been good? Don't know anything of the players
Way too soon to tell. Typically, I like to watch the pre-season scrimmages and exhibition games to have a sense of which rookies have a chance of making the roster, or who will be assigned to Jr B for their further development. Being picked high really isn't a guarantee of making the team in this organization. It's like graduating University with a B.A degree. That is NOT a ticket that guarantees employment.....it's just a credential that opens some doors.

Reactions: LDN

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

Difference is London finishes between 3-6 in their rebuild years where almost every other program finishes between 6-8 in their worst rebuild years.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
If Moore comes next year it’s a success. I’d rather take a swing for the most talented vs take the safe player

Reactions: zman77

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
If the Knights can get Moore to cut short his 2-years with USNDP, he'll likely get a chance to play upfront alongside a veteran D consisting of Bonk, George, Dickinson and Edward. If not, Moore might join the team with some thinness on the backend--with the exception of Dickinson.
Taking Moore in the first round leads me to think he'll be here at some point.

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
If the Knights can get Moore to cut short his 2-years with USNDP, he'll likely get a chance to play upfront alongside a veteran D consisting of Bonk, George, Dickinson and Edward. If not, Moore might join the team with some thinness on the backend--with the exception of Dickinson.
He’s a fwd right?

Last edited by a moderator:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
He’s a fwd right?
Yes. I edited my original post because I didn't make clear that I was hoping he could help out at forward/scoring at a time when we had a stacked D as opposed to joining the Knights with a green D, and possibly in a retool season.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Are you telling us Moore will be playing defence for the Knights or am I reading your post wrong ?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Are you telling us Moore will be playing defence for the Knights or am I reading your post wrong ?
No, he's definitely a forward. I could have done a much better job explaining what I meant. I'm so enamoured with our D corps (Bonk, Dickinson, George, Edward) heading into the next 2 seasons and I wanted Moore (the forward) to be part of that team. If Moore comes to London after 2 seasons in the US, he will add offence upfront but he won't have that D (except Dickinson), so Moore won't be joining a powerhouse London team, but one with a possibly green D.

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

Practice got William Moore to Carnegie Hall​

and to the top of the OHL draft boards​

As difficult as it may be to fathom, a good number of North American-born NHLers are identified as elite players by the time they’re 10 years old, when they play in The Brick Invitational Hockey Tournament, held each summer at the West Edmonton Mall.

Toronto Marlboros Under-16 star William Moore did not play in ‘The Brick’ in the summer of 2017 and it had nothing to do with his hockey ability. It’s because he was otherwise indisposed playing — wait for it — at Carnegie Hall. Yes, the Carnegie Hall in New York. At the age of 10. Earlier that year, Moore had won something called the Little Mozarts International Competition by playing Chopin’s “Polonaise in G Minor” on the piano, which earned him the right to perform the piece at the world-famous concert venue.
Deciding whether he’ll play in the OHL next season, however, is a little more vexing for Moore. His mother, Vanusa, is originally from Brazil and owns two restaurants and a catering business. Moore’s father, Patrick, is a Cornell-educated finance broker who grew up in Ithaca, N.Y., where his own father was a professor at Cornell. That gives the Mississauga-born Moore dual Canadian-American citizenship, and despite the fact he couldn’t attend the tryouts for the U.S. National Team Development Program team because he was still playing with the Marlboros, Moore has been offered a spot in the program. Moore’s parents have left the decision up to him and while where and when he is chosen in the draft will be considerations, Moore has gone on the record as saying he’s leaning toward the U.S. program.
“I guess I’ll be betraying my own country,” Moore said with a laugh.
Here's the whole story:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad